I have been overexposed to TDI (toluene di-isocyanate) after working in a plant manufacturing foam car seat cushions.
I had to quit working there due to the increasing sensitivity and difficulty breathing in the environment. I could smell levels of TDI that other co-workers couldn't due to my hyper sensitivity.
Now, as a result, I am also allergic to soft (and therefore off-gassing) PVC, in such items as shower curtains and furniture (the "leather" Flexsteel sectional sofa we just bought, which was made in China and we just found out is largely covered with vinyl).
The allergic symptoms include dry, scratchy, slightly burning respiratory tract (nostrils, lungs, even tongue and lips) and burning sensation to the eyes.
The symptoms subside as the gases being given off from the vinyl become lower over time.
I need to know if this allergy can be dangerous to me.
That is to say, can it be more than just an irritant?
Since I am overly sensitive to the allergen, can it therefore follow that I can be more prone to cancer due to any potential toxins that would be harmless to most people?
Allergic effects and carcinogenic effects are two different processes, one is unlikely to affect the other. Toluene diisocyanate has been classified as a potential occupational carcinogen. As for your allergic reactions, allergy testing may help confirm this. Consult an allergy specialist. First he may do a blood IgE levels to see if they are raised. Next, he will do skin testing. This test is painless, in which a very small amount of certain allergens are pricked into the surface of your skin. If you have allergies, just a little swelling will occur where the allergen was introduced. Reactions occur within about 15 minutes. If needed more sensitive intradermal tests will be used in which a small amount of allergen is injected within the skin. Based on this he may plan for immunotherapy.
Thank you very much for your help, Paderla!
You know, I have had so many troublesome allergies since I was overexposed to TDI.
These range from over sensitivity to cigarette smoke, to a powerful revulsion to the smell of rubber, such as the areas in Walmart where they have all the bicycles and the automotive tires on display, and even the fabric softeners and detergents in their cleaning supplies aisles.
I have gone to an allergy specialist before, but what they treated me for were tree, mold and pet dander.
They never mentioned any treatment for vinyl sensitivity.
In fact, as the years go by I seem to have a lesser reaction to vinyl, so may be I'm becoming innured to it?
Any way, I thank you again for caring, and please have a great day!
Good to see your improving Brian, you are auto desensitizing yourself. The exposure to TDI could have over sensitized you to other products. The single most effective therapy for any allergic reactions is to avoid the triggers or avoid exposure to them. As you are not presently exposed to the triggers, it should help to resolve your symptoms.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.