Allergy Community
Pain under ribs (left) Middle back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Pain under ribs (left) Middle back pain

I have paind under my left rib cage with pain in the center of my back. I have been diagnosed with a very small gallstone and the enzymes in my pancreas are elevated. the pain in my back radiates from back to front on the left side of my body. The doctor says it is not my gallbladder, what could it be?
Your spleen is over there. I do not know much about spleen problems though. If you had an abdominal ultrasound, and that did not show anything, you could consider a CT, or MRI. I don't know what would be best in your case.
I know it has been a while since you posted your question but I am experiancing the exact same thing. I have pain in the middle of my back on the left side and a very sharp pain under my ribs on the same side. The pain is so bad the last couple of days that I can't slouch or bend my waist either way without a lot of discomfort. It almost feels like a hard ball is under my ribs. Have you found anything out as to why this pain occurs? Any help would be nice. Thanks!
hey Jessika, I was experiencing the same problem except i also had heartburn here in there accompanied by the horrible back pain. your stomach might be producing an excess amount of acid causing the sharp pain under your ribs.If you feel  burning and gnawing or dull pain in the stomach between the navel and breastbone you may also have an ulcer. ulcers can be very painful. there are different types of ulcers. you might want to keep track of your pain like if it worsens after you eat or before do you have other symtoms (symptoms) such as vomiting, nausea, bad breath or even if you are constantly belching. I was diagnosed w/acid reflux but when the pain persisted my doctor decided to schedule me for an upper endoscopy (they put a small tube with a camera through your mouth downt to ur stomach) that re-assured i had no ulcers. before i actually went to the exam i was tested for a helicobacter pylori infection aka H. Pylori which is a spiral bacteria in the stomach that may cause peptic ulcers and is related to other diseases such as lower stomach cancer. as ironic as it is h. pylori can play a roll in both upper and lower stomach cancers. it increases ur risk of lower stomach cancer but helps aid in preventing the risk for upper stomach cancer. Blood test showed that i tested positive for the h pylori infection and i had to take antibiotics for 14days.  try and see your doctor asap and like i said try and keep track of your symptoms. =-) hope this helps a bit.
I have pain under my left breast and it goes around to my back.  It is tender to the touch and sometimes hurts to breath and when walking.  Any Ideas what it could be
Hiatal Hernia was my diagnosis. I have had pain that stems from the  middle of my back around to the front under my left ribs. It's felt for the last couple of years as if something is growing larger under the rib. My breathing has been affected and I have had chest pains. A year and a half ago I was in emergency with chest pains and they told me I had a hiatal hernia. At that time they put me on ratinidine for heartburn and it stopped the chest pain. After that time, I started having problems breathing, especially when sitting or laying down on one side..eventually I started noticing the pain...and the feeling of something growing larger. Yesterday I went to the Dr who did xrays to prove to me it was only a nerve in my back which wraps around to your rib..but upon viewing the xrays, said it is a hiatal hernia. I have a feeling when I go back, after my cat scan and blood work..I'll be getting scheduled for surgery. It will be nice to be back to pain free and no worry. It was a relief to find out I didn't have cancer, or a heart problem. I guess they dont take much notice until one grows large enough that it stands out on the xray.
i have back pain wear my bra strap goes on the left and goes to the left under my left rib cage  i was diagnosed with gerd and take acid reflex medicine but i still have the pain it is very annoying pain it comes and goes but more when i working standing all day what could it be desperate for some suggestions
I realize this is from a year ago but I have the same pain most of you are describing… it’s a very sharp and painful stabbing that is on the left side of my rib cage and wraps around the left side of my back. I have had this pain for about 8 months off and on… I noticed that when I bent over this morning a sudden stab shot through my back and since then both my back and left rib and been very painful all day.  I constantly have the pain, but it’s usually pretty dull and tolerable so I am wondering if it’s a nerve or something that is being pinched in my back since the pain has been so much worse since hurting my back this morning.  I have had an ultrasound, blood work, CT Scan, diet change, chiropractor and even a colonoscopy that have come up with no results… I guess no news is good news but it’s hard to accept that there is nothing wrong with you when you are in so much pain.   My doctor suggested trying a physical therapist next…. any suggestions???
Hi, the possibilities of such pain under the rib are Costochondritis (usually experienced on left side), Slipping rib syndrome (ribs can slip and impinge on the intercostal nerve, producing pain), Precordial catch, pleuritis, trauma and Neurologic disorders.

Acute pancreatitis also manifested as abrupt rise in pain and as it is a retroperitonal organ, pain can radiate from the back. In such cases pancreatic enzymes are raised.

Back muscles are related to rib muscles and can cause referred pain. You need to undergo radio imaging (MRI/CT) to rule out the above causes. You need to take rest. Local and oral painkillers against prescription will help you in relieving pain. Have nutritious food. I suggest you to consult physician. Take care and regards.
I have been having pain in my back on the left side kinda in the middle. I suddenly had the urge to pee and couldn't even make it to the bathroom because it hurt to walk just to even sit there it hurt so bad! I went to lay on the couch and it hurt to even do that. Now I have a horrible headache. Idk what to do!! Help):