I was living in a house with high levels of penicillium mold and became very ill and hospitilized. I now have asthma along with other progblems. Did the fact that I am allergic to penicillin contribute to the illness? There were three other molds in the house but I did not have an allergic reaction to them.
Hi, welcome to the forum, allergic reactions to mold are commonly encountered now a days esp. if the person has an allergic past history. It is quite evident that you are allergic to penicillin mold like penicillin notatum and chrysogenum spp. Such allergy in patients ranges from mild rash to severe reactions and depends on the body's magnitude of sensitization to such molds.
This can be possible that you are not allergic to other type of molds. Penicillin molds have thiazolidine ring which may be the cause of allergy. The allergic reaction keeps on worsening unless exposure to offending mold is discontinued.
Hence, the line of management would be-
- get rid of molds in the room - This will subside the reaction within a week.
- Adding of oral anti histamine and corticosteroids against prescription will help subside the allergic reaction
I suggest you to consult allergy specialist. Take care and regards.
I am really glad that I found this article. Icelady, I wondering the same thing. I am highly allergic to pcn, and recently developed severe hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which is common from penicillium. I have been on a heavy dose of corticosteriods for almost 2 months......very sad that I am now in litigation due to landlord neglect.
I am in the same situation. 14 mos of exposure to penicillium/aspergillum plus Chaesporium, cladosporum, rhizoporum (spelling?) and landlords completely deny even the valid Certified report I had to pay for myself. ($500). Had to decontaminate all of my belongings/pay for the move myself, lost many pcs of furniture and clothing and am in the hole thousands and thousands of dollars and they want me to sign a release in exchange for releasing me from lease and a pittance for reimbursement, which isn't a fraction of what i have "already" spent! i have been to the Dr regularly over the course of the year, as well as my kids trying to figure out what was wrong with me (us). At least I finally figured it out and removed myself and kids from harm. But do you also experience the reaction from outsiders who don't believe you?! It is so frustrating. I have had to pay loads of money just to prove it and even with the rock solid proof I still get ridiculed. I actually had a good relationship w/my landlords. I am shocked they completely abandoned me.
Oh my. Yeah, that certified report seems to be a standard charge, which really *****. It didn't take long for the Dr's to figure out what was wrong with me, due to symptom relevance and an MRI that clearly showed lung nodules, which they first thought was cancer, thus leading to a lung biopsy. I have not experienced reaction from disbeliever's, except for my prior landlord, who actually admitted that he knew there was mold, but "thought he got it with the KILZ" ? Really? I am upset. I have lost my job due to this illness (having to take off so much for Dr appts), and as a PreMedical student myself, have had my grades suffer as well, which is unacceptable. My reaction was quite severe, and when I couldn't finish a sentence due to lack of breathe, believing my story was the least of my worries when it came to other people. If you don't have a lawyer, get one. I don't know where you live, but a few states have laws in regards to mold and landlord/tenant law specifically. Unfortunately for me, my state isn't one of them, but here in my state, real estate law specifically states that a landlord cannot rent without an inspection, and all states force the landlord to provide a "safe and habitable" place to live. Law is interpretive. Once again, get a lawyer please. I hope things work out for you.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.