Allergy Community
Phantosmia - possible OTC remedy - it worked for me!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I started suffering from phantosmia early this year. Initially, the smell of cigarette smoke was faint. Then when it came back the following month, it was with a vengeance. I could not sleep because the smell of smoke was giving me headaches and was drying my mouth. Nasal washes and dabbing tea tree oil provided only temporary relief. I also had a brain MRI which was negative. I tried them all. What we all have in common are allergies, sinus problems, possible depression, and yeast / fungal infections?

I did not want to take any more medication since they tend to only do harm, if not now, then eventually.
Something told me to deal with the depression first. I was not clinically depressed since I still functioned well at work.

I decided to try herbal supplements. I was going to take antidepressants only as a last recourse because its habit forming. I bought St. Johns Wort (herbal supplement alternative to antidepressant since it uplifts mood) and garlic supplements. Garlic is the best natural remedy available since it is antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal. I took the highest dosage of garlic available (odorless 1000 mg) and the highest dosage of St. Johns Wort (with "hypericin"). I did not notice any change in smell the first 3-4 days, and then the smell started getting fainter and fainter. About a week and a half later, the smell disappeared. It's now been three months and the phantom smell hasn't come back.

Try this over the counter remedy. I know the hellll that you are all going through and I just have to put in my two cents. The combination of St. Johns Wort and garlic helped me. Give it a try!
I came across this blog about 2 weeks ago. As soon as I finished reading this, I hurried out the door to my nearest vitamin store. That night, on 09/11/2014,I started taking one garlic supplement a day. Today is 09/23/2014, and last night before I went to bed, I sat straight up in the bed and told my husband, "I don't smell smoke!"  I was too excited.

This morning, I just wanted to post a comment to say thank you for sharing what worked for you! I know most people I tell about this think it's bizarre, and even my "doctor" didn't have a suggestion for this. Once again, I am sure that moving away from medicines and closer to the "medicinal cabinet" is the right solution for my health.