Allergy Community
Pharyngitis wont go away, any help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Pharyngitis wont go away, any help?

I've been having it for a week and a few days now. It is painless. But my tonsils are swollen, with specks of puss on it. I went to the ER the day before thanksgiving and the doctor ran a test and said that I have Acute Pharyngitis. Is that a bad thing? Anyway, he gave me some steroids to take for three days. It stopped it from getting worse but it didn't help it go away. The whole time it was completely painless, but it was annoying.  I think it has something to do with my allergies. But I also gave a guy oral sex. He said he had his check up and stuff and didn't have HIV or any STDS. I've been paranoid about having HIV or an STD. I happen to be allergic to Oak Trees. I went to the park and Oak trees are everywhere. I had no fever, cold or anything.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you still have the symptoms that you mentioned? Pharyngitis may be attributed to  infection that may be viral, bacterial or even from gonorrhea, or chlamydia infection. If it is viral infection, this usually resolves after a few days of rest and symptomatic relief.  However, if it persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Additional diagnostic tests such as a rapid test or throat culture may also be done. Take care and do keep us posted.