Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has experience with mulch. I think my 2 year old has allergies and is also going for an asthma test. Of course before I knew all this we put about 20 bags of pine bark mulch all around the perimeter of our fence. I have read about mulch carrying molds, is this only a problem when it is disturbed, or should we remove it.
Slime molds live in cool, shady, moist places on decaying wood, leaves or other organic matter retaining abundant moisture. Bark mulch in a flower garden or shrub bed certainly fits that description. The same type of organism is often seen in the woods on decaying logs.
I suggest that you have it removed because fungi are a common cause for allergy.
Go ahead with the test and see if she is allergic to anything else too.
Prevention is as important as the treatment of all allergies.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.