Allergy Community
Pine Bark Mulch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Pine Bark Mulch

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has experience with mulch. I think my 2 year old has allergies and is also going for an asthma test. Of course before I knew all this we put about 20 bags of pine bark mulch all around the perimeter of our fence. I have read about mulch carrying molds, is this only a problem when it is disturbed, or should we remove it.
Tags: Allergies
Slime molds live in cool, shady, moist places on decaying wood, leaves or other organic matter retaining abundant moisture. Bark mulch in a flower garden or shrub bed certainly fits that description. The same type of organism is often seen in the woods on decaying logs.
I suggest that you have it removed because fungi are a common cause for allergy.
Go ahead with the test and see if she is allergic to anything else too.
Prevention is as important as the treatment of all allergies.