Allergy Community
Pine Sol Allergy, Am I The Only One?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Pine Sol Allergy, Am I The Only One?

I react to to Pine Sol. My eye lids swell up and my eyes turn bright red. My nose runs like crazy, I'll get a headache and I find it difficult to breathe. Does this happen to anyone else? & Is this considered a serious allergy?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi SaaraBear,

How are you? Do you have a family history of allergies? Allergy or hypersensitivity is a reaction of your immune system to something that does not bother most other people. Before, it is believed that the reason allergies develop is through genetics. However, with more people experiencing allergies, environmental factors are also considered. Substances that often cause reactions are: pollen, dust mites, mold spores, pet dander, food, insect stings or even medicines. Allergies can cause a runny nose, sneezing, itching, rashes, and/or swelling (this may include your airways). Anaphylaxis is generally used to describe a serious and life-threatening allergic reaction. During an anaphylactic reaction, various tissues in your body release histamine and other substances. When you experience difficulty in breathing, it is very important that you see your doctor right away and should be given an epinephrine shot.

I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted

I am just fine, coping with a work place that cleans with Pine Sol in the restrooms. I have a family history of allergies. I found out suddenly that I had developed an anaphylactic allergy to strawberries almost a year ago. However the reaction I have to Pine Sol does not feel the same as when I react to strawberries. I don't experience the anxiety/rapid heart beat and the swelling goes down once I take benadryl/ice it. I am allergic to grass, pollen, dust, dander, smoke...typical asthma allergies, bees/wasps/some types of spider bites--not deadly, but I sure do swell up! I've never been bit by a snake, but I've been told i'll probably react to a snake bite worse then most folks too. Why is it that some people react so strongly to a substance and others are not bothered by it?

P.S. I always carry an epi pen & benadryl.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
It is estimated that 1 in every 5 has one form of allergy. Today, researchers believe that in addition to genetics, the environment also plays a critical role in determining who will and who won't develop allergies. Since allergies are strongly associated with the Western lifestyle, researchers have begun to suspect that a multitude of lifestyle factors are involved. There is a strong association, however, between allergies and other environmental factors, such as socioeconomic status, family size, early-childhood infections, and diet.

Allergy begins with sensitization — a period that ranges from a few weeks to several decades, in which repeated exposure to a particular allergen activates the immune system to attempt to fight what is usually an innocuous substance. Because this period of sensitization varies so much, one person can develop a contact allergy during infancy while another may not be sensitized until adulthood. I think your immune system tries to much to mount a defense against what it believes is a hostile invader.

It's good that you carry epi pen and benadryl. I also suggest you have a medical bracelet or card so that the people around will know what to do when an allergy attacks

I hope this helps:)
Thank you for that information, it really helped me to understand why I have allergies. I live in an environmentally damaged area, have a high socioeconomic status, six person family, countless early childhood infections, was born premature, lived undiagnosed with Celiac Disease for 13 years--had failure to thrive. This makes sense that I would have such a multitude of allergies.

That is an excellent suggestion, I should wear one of those, I'll look into getting one.

Thank you ever so much!

I am wondering why I have such a sensitivity to pine sol every time I go around it I vomit within a 9 hr period after being around it, just wondering what is causing me to react like that want some answers and maybe some where to go to get help with this problem.
from Gloria Sumner