Occasionally when i drink alcohol, my face gets very hott and i develop splotches on and around my eyes...but its not quite that simple..im only 22 and i drank socially for about a year with never an incident, then the first time it happened i was in a mexican restaraunt and had like 2 glasses of long island iced tea while also eating a quesadlla, now its possible i had the reaction and didnt realize it after the first glass because i wasnt expecting it...anyways..at the time i assumed i was allergic to one of the 7? liquors in long island so i just never drank long island again and figured i was fine even that night i continued drinkining after that and i was fine i drank quite a bit that night...well not long after i had the same reaction this time to a crown and coke..which i had drank before....ok then i was scared..so i didnt drink for about 2 months then i had an irish car bomnb one night and i had the reaction...then after that fast forward about 6 months of 0 alcoholic beverage...and i got the bright idea to drink some wine and just see if i reacted to it...well i drank about half a bottle...and i Didnt react..but like 2 night after that i went to finish the bottle and Did react....now up until today i have drank 1 time since the wine incident and i took a benadryl before i drank and i didnt break out but i havent tried that enough times to know if the benadryl actually helped? what i dont understand is if i was allergic wouldnt i react Every time not intermittently?
lol poor thing. try to avoid the alcohol. it is possible to be allergic to alcohol, it is also possible to develop allergies over a period of time to certain things you were not allergic to before. You should see a doctor to be tested for this but until then, I would avoid the alcohol. take care
Hi there. I have seen your post on your alcohol allergy, I have the same thing and I am 21. It also did not effect me at first. Doctors actually dont know the cause of it because our bodies also create small amounts of alcohol...The symtoms I have is flushing in the face, a warm feeling(almost burning) , increased heartrate and abdominal discomfort. I dont know if it is a reaction to sugar (alcohol is a type of sugar)(diabetics) or of an allergy to fungi(antibiotics)(this one I have). But I have through trial and error discoverd what works and what not. I ussauly drink a mild antihestamine/allery pill half an hour before I go out, also different brands have different effects, I have noticed red wine have the effect almost all the time. I thus stay away from any coloured drinks and choose lightly coloured alcohol, at first I will drink white rum with sparkling apple or grape juice(no sugar) and later opt for anything else. I suggest that if you become nausious or very lightheaded due to the allergic reaction that you see a doctor, my case is only mild.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.