Allergy Community
Post Exposure Rabies Vaccine.... Do's and Don't's?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hi, I recently was bitten by a rabid dog in Ecuador where I am currently living. The wound was just a scratch made through my jacket and no blood was drawn. As a precaution I am now receiving post exposure rabies shots. However, after surfing the net for several days I cannot find the method of treatment I am receiving or the do's and don'ts whilst being treated.

All websites state a series of five injections in the arm but I am receiving seven injections, one daily in the abdomen followed by one after ten days then twenty days then twenty eight days... ten in total. Also the nurses tell me that I strictly cannot drink any tea, coffee, hot chocolate (decaf or normal), alcohol or exercise or have sex (protected or not) for four months. I cannot find this information anywhere on the internet and nobody else having rabies vaccine seems to have been told the same. Please can anyone clarify this treatment and the advice I have been given. Where I live is pretty cold and not being able to have hot drinks is hard enough without the added stress of not being able to celebrate my first wedding anniversary properly.

Many thanks.
I got the exact same advice last week in China. Can anyone answer this question please? I can't find anything in the drug information for the immune globulin or the vaccine itself that warns against exercise, coffee, etc...

Thanks!
I just finished rabies vaccine here in Seattle.  No word of caution about any of what you just spelled out (no hot drinks, no sex - what a bummer).  Mine were all in the arm (after the first one in the butt).  

BUT....who knows what kind of vaccine they are giving you.  Are all anti-rabies vaccines the same?  Do you know a doc in the States you can call?  Or email the CDC or public health.  

I would first find out the chemical name of the vaccine and what is in it.

In any case - GOOD LUCK.  
I am in Russia getting the vaccine - I get a series of 6 in the arm...have one to go.  The doctors told me no drinking, no lying out in the sun, no swimming in rivers/lakes/ocean for NINE months.  No explanation given as to why
Oh, and I was told not to "over-exert" myself.  I have a 1-month-old daughter, so I don't sleep much and am regularly feeling "over-exerted"
Hi folks,

Just to let you know that I had another problem in Ecuador which prevented me having access to my last two shots. I have spoken to someone who worked at the Centre for Tropical Disease in London. The vaccine still remains nameless in my case, but I have been told that there are three mainstream vaccines out there. Mine was probably an older type vaccine as used in Europe upto 15 years ago, made from chicken proteins.

It has now been confirmed that the no hot drinks rule was to stop abdominal pain, nothing to do with caffeine or anything. The last three shots of my ten were just precautionary. The over-exertion thing is to stop the disease from spreading throughout your body quicker. I would definitely take note of this as Rabies effects parts of your nervous system and anything that slows it down will give the vaccine more time to work. As for the alcohol, this isn't too important to me but i have had two glasses of red wine on my anniversary without any noticable effect, and the guy from London just told me not to over do it in case the vaccine reacts with the drink.

Hope this clears a few things up for you guys, I'll press on with finding out more about named vaccines.
Nine months dude? I'll find out about this as quick as I can.
I'm in China, going for my third [of five] shot today. When I got the first shot, I was given the option of taking a domestic Chinese vaccine or some "foreign manufactured" vaccine, which I chose. I'm not sure what the name of the vaccine is, because it's all been transliterated into Chinese, but based on the sound of the words it might be made by the drug manufacturer, Wampole.

Anyway, my shot schedule had written instructions not to consume alcohol, tea, spicy food, sour food or garlic until a week after my last injection. I've been looking all over the web and the only things I've found to support this have been 1. from foreign countries (I'm American) and 2.only alcohol/tea related.

I'm sure healthcare in these countries is completely standard, but I've experienced some really weird Chinese superstitions regarding healthcare and do's and don'ts. Has anyone actually seen this in writing from a Western country?
Hi im edgar petallo from the philippines.The teeth of the puppy penetrate on my skin when i gave that puppy his food..i got a very tiny wound, however i consulted immediately the physician and he gave a series of 5 shots of verorab( anti-rabies vaccine ).==THAT WAS 3 YEARS AGO..(2006)
Now my problem is,.Last night( July 9, 2009) i got a single non-bleeding scratched just  below my antecubetal fossa, made by the nail of my 2 month old puppy which is not immunized..
My question is: do i need another shot or booster dose of anti-rabies vaccine? Would that vaccination i had 3 years ago,  protect me from rabies?

==I had this scratch just last night( July 9, 2009) now is JULY 10, 2009..The puppy is still under observation..and he's still alive and kicking..
==Please help me..
GOOD DAY!!!

I'm edgar petallo from the philippines and i have a very important question.
*How many years of protection would those 5 series of anti-rabies(VERORAB) shots guarantee?
(I had it, 3 years ago last 2006)

Because my 2 month old puppy, (not yet immunized) accidently scratched my skin when he jumped off the floor ( i was actually carrying him).
It's a SINGLE NON-BLEEDING scratched (non-penetrating i guess) just below my antecubital fossa.
It happened just last night ( july 9, 2009)and just this morning ( july 10, 2009) i went to a tertiary Hospital to have it checked by the doctor..(Dr. A)
I was actually inquiring about the booster shot of anti-rabies vaccine..and i told him everything about my problem..
He looked at the scratched and told me there's nothing to worry about..so he didnt give me any medications. He just told me to put that puppy under observation..So far the puppy is alive and kicking!!

But im not still fully convinced..now i want to know the DURATION OF TIME regarding the protection of those 5 shots of verorab which Doc B personally administered..3 years ago.

can i still get a BOOSTER DOSE of anti-rabies vaccine even if i got those 5 shots 3 years ago?? ( Three years ago, Doc C (doc B's sister) told me that there's a booster dose after a series of 5 shots..but i did not get it for some reasons..)

Please help me..tnx.
GODBLESS!
I would say to one and all -Take absolutely no risk with rabies - it is fatal!!!

I got bitten by a street puppy in India a few days back. At the time I didn't realise the severity of rabies and failed to go to the hospital straight away as although the bite drew blood it was only a small lasceration.

I went 36 hours after the bite (which I also could not clean at the time) and got a shot of Vero Rab and Tetanus (both in the arms) and I have 4 more Vero Rab to go.  I then called up BUPA to ensure that they'd given me the right stuff and soon realised that I needed Rabies Immune Globulin (Kam Rab).  I had 7 shots in total in the wound, back and bum.

I am now really very worried because I didn't go to the hospital within the recommdended 24 hours or clean the wound up straight away.  

I have been told not to smoke or drink alcohol for 3 months.  They also did not offer any explanation as to why, however, I think I'd rather have an alcohol free Xmas than Rabies so I am taking no chances!! New years resolution will just have to start early.
yes you need booster shots.
yes you need booster shots.
In Real this site all facility about the health and wellness so thanks for it and i gather more information about my health..........Force Factor
Hi, i am  youssef i have a 3 months old puppy who just been vaccinated aganist rabies 2 days ago . tonight i was trying to give him an antiworm tablet and my hand got scratched and bled . I know that rabbies vacine is just a weak form of virus , which means that the dog when get vaccinated will carry the virus for days or weeks until it makes antibodies aganist it. Should i get vaccinated myself aswell because of this bleeding scratch or not. Can any one help please. Thanks
I'm currently receiving the rabies series in the U.S.  I was bitten by a monkey when on vacation in Thailand.  Here's what I learned:
Get the 1st rabies shot asap.  Ideally the RIG (Rabies Immune Globulin) should be given in conjunction with the 1st rabies shot or within 4 days of the wound.  The RIG is a series of small shots (I counted 8) surrounding the wound.  The rabies shots (2 so far) have been given in my arm.  In addition, I received 2 super-charged antibiotic shots in the rear.  My final 2 rabies shots will be within the next few days.  This morning I had blood drawn for a white blood cell baseline count.  This will be repeated in 6 months for comparison purposes used to identify Herps B and possibly HIV - all carried by Asian monkeys.

No mention was made to me to avoid anything or restrict my diet.  I was surprised to learn that the rabies vaccine was only available at Hospital Emergency Care and 1 other medical office in the Phoenix, AZ area.
I've been bitten by my kitten justa 1 month old scratch and little bite justa pintch like needle but still observe the action what my kitten been doing, and suddenly the kitten lost in my sight for almost 3 days...

I already been taking Vaccine enrick or elrick or something thats what  heared i have 2 shots left now, all in all its

First day of shots:
1. TETANUS TOXOID
2. Anti-rabies vaccine
then the nurse told me to come back after 3 days for another shot

Second day of shot:
1. Anti-rabies vaccine
then nurse told me to come back tommorow for i'm not sure if thats elrick or enrick rabies vaccine booster

Third day of shot
17.5CC divided in to two left butt and the right side its 8.75CC
i feel WOW yeah it hurts but i feel more sercure

Forth day of shot
another justa rabies vaccine 3 days after the third shot
and the last one

Fifth day of shot
another 3 days after the forth shot and also some shot only rabies vaccine

the last one was 18 days after the fifth shot

that is a complete all in all inject vaccine

Now, i been bitten my kitten a days ago and i have sex with my girl friend and the kitten is still good condition then after the kitten missing i got vaccinized  MY QUESTION IS MY GIRLD FRIEND CAN BE A POSSIBLE CARRIER OF THE RABIES VIRUS OR AM I POSSIBLE CAN SPREAD THE RABIES VIRUS DURING THE TIME THAT I'M NOT BEEN TREATED FOR ALMOST 6 DAYS OF BITE.
hi.. regarding the anti rabies vaccine the contraindictions would be if you have an allergy to chickens and eggs.. you cannot be vaccinated right away. or if you think you have a allergy to chickens as much as possible dont eat chicken and eggs until the full course of your vaccine is done. to prevent any allergic reaction. because some anti rabies shot came form chicken embryo.
OMG I’M IN #$%&*%# PAIN!!!!

I have a deep puncture wound in between my index and thumb whith a piece of my glove stuck in it, a scratch under my thumb and I can’t move my hand. The protocol here in the US is to call the police and animal control so a police report is open once you get bitten by an animal. The only info I had to go on is that it was a dog named  "x" . Luckly he was regstered in the city.   I knew the name of the dog because I overheard the lady calling him that and they tracked down all dogs named "x" inthe city, they literally checked all of them and went to the houses of the posible matches.  the doc has advised me that I do need to get the rabies shots because once I get thesymptoms THERE IS NO CURE AND I WILL DIE!!! only one person on record  has survived in the world. there is no cure because pharmaceutical co don't see it as cost efficient, they don't get much profit of this. I kind of have plans of living a few more years so I have to take them regardless. I started yesterday and put 6 freakin shots!!!!!! 3 in my hand where the bite was, 2 in each leg and one in my arm. They weigh u and depending on that you get an amount of immonugoblin, which is a booster for your immune system; so they ran out of places in my hand to put the needle in because once inside they shifted it around; but they had to use it all so hence the 2 in the legs and one in my arm.
This is my shchedule for the rest of the shots after the bite
1. Day #3 Friday 12/17
2. Day #7 Tuesday 12/21
3. Day #14 Tuesday 12/28  
4. Day #28 Tuesday 1/11

UPDATE:Things for me are getting worse, I went to my primary physician yesterday and I definitely have a severe infection but no pus. They cleaned it out, took a sample of my wound so they can do a culture to see which bacteria is making me miserable. They changed me to 2 diff types of antibiotics and one of them is to treat anthrax, called levaquin. Can u believe that??? The list of 30 side effects outweighs the benefits in my opinion because I can have tendon rupture in my arms and legs at any time, hallucinations, paranoia, bowel, liver and kidney damage. I was actually debating in taking this medication because I’m scared of all that can happen but I ended up taking it. This bacteria just won’t die. If it does not get better by Monday I will have to check into the hospital.
SO IF YOU BET BITTEN BY ANY ANIMAL, GET HELP!! GO TO THE HOSPITAL WHEREVER YOU ARE AND GET THE SHOTS, THERE IS NO CURE FOR RABIES!!!
I am 25.....can anyone please tell me what is the exact practice ..that doctor prescribe for rabies vaccine..is it 5 or 6 doses???like 0 day thn 3rd,7th,14th,21 and 28 or 21st is not included??over the diffr forums sum say 5 , 6 or 7 dose to...just got superficial scratch from dog's teeth..what to prefr?

becz vaccine have made me frail and weak immunity ..though i was the guy who never felt need of any pain killers or antibiotic ..and rarely got ill..but i am on my 4th dose , and often gets temp and headache...and if sumone has flue or tempr.. it must that il catch that...so firstly if sumone has same issues inform me..is it normal ,secondly wil it go aftr complt course ?

we took in a stray kitty, 2 mnth old, at that time i had no idea that cats are most common carrier of rabies instead of dog(as most commonly assumed)
anyways, she punctured my skin on thumb there was no bleeding but the skin did break, anyhow, kitty fell sick the next day we took her to VET still unaware it might be rabies, within the span of 3 days she dies, a silent death.Rabies is of two kinds 1 lunatic, second silent, but its better to be safe then sorry, her undeclared death left me searching on net, where i found out it might have been rabies, as the kitten died,I was immediately advices anti-rabies vaccine 0,(is counted as day1) and tehn 4 more, I was also given immuno globulin as the kitten died ,which cost me a fortune but better than being dead a series of 2 in shoulder, 2 in butt, i in thigh and i derma at site of wound (which has healed) now 4 anti-raboes vaccinations are left,rabies have incubation of days to weeks but most commonly 4 weeks,it is this time any vaccine or immuno globulin will work, after that ,after onset of first symptoms of rabies, rabies is fatal and nothing can be done, so i suggest you get not only the vaccines but immuno globulin as well, if u cannot observe the dog, or it was a street dog that ran away, if the skin got punctured or broken , its better to get the vaccines and immuno, doctors do not take risk, as its a fatal disease.
I was bitten by a cat when i was 7 years old and did not tell my parents. what will be the consequence? right now im 29 years old and healthy but do have fears for what will happen to me eventually. will i die? do i still need to have a vaccine for anti-rabies? the cat does not have any vaccine then. please help
Have no fear - if you were bitten 22years ago and have shown no signs of a problem, you did not contract rabies.  Rabies actually progresses relatively quickly, so if you had been infected, you would have gotten sick shortly after being bitten.

Unless you work daily with wild animals or have had another recent bite, a rabies vaccine at this point is not necessary.
What happens if you don't finish the shots? My daughter only did 3 rounds of shots & did not go for her 4 th series 2 days ago?
Hi I am also bitten by a dog few days back but i dint go to the hospital immediately as recommended.

I got the first shot of  Abhayrab vaccine after 24 hours and four are more to go , please anybody tell me that whether i can drink alcohol or smoke.
It depends upon the severity of the wound . You please consult the doctor regarding this
Hi! I was bitten by a cat when i was 15 years old and also did not tell my parents. last 3 months i was bitten again by a cat ..it still alive until this now. i only have 3dose shot of rabies vaccine.. Im 21 right now do i need to start again to have a vaccine for anti-rabies for the first bite? the cat does not have any vaccine then.. i was worried.. please help!