Allergy Community
Post-nasal drip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Post-nasal drip

I have been having problems with mu sinuses for a year now and its completely affected my life, I am afraid of social situations. I have ear pressure, pain, congestion and worst of all a bad smell which comes from my nose. It's so bad I can barely sit in a rome with people, people hold their nose around me especially when I speak. I had a CT scan it showed I had inferior hypertrophy on the right side of my maxillary sinus, sinusitis, and a mucus retention cyst on the right side.

Finally, I had turbinate cautery to clear the turbinate hypertrophy it has helped I can breathe finally, yet the smell hasn't diminshed at all. My ENT said it was from accumulation of post-nasal drip, which sounds unreasonable. Yet, this smell is really bad. People cough and quickly move away from me, I mean even people 5-6ft away, I feel as if I am contagious. The doctor put me on Astelin, it has dried up the phelgm I usally have but the smell still hasn't lessened. It's only been 3 days but I've been living this nightmare for a year, I'd hate to get my hopes up that I could be cured.

Does anyone know whether this is where the smell originates from? I thought it was my breathe because how could a smell come from your nose yet it has. It's really embarrassing because people are less than nice about it, my dating life has suffered and I've felt all alone on this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
If you still have your tonsils, the smell may be coming from them.  When post-nasal drip goes down the back of the throat, it will often drip over the tonsils causing you to cough or sort of choke like your finger is too far back in the mouth and you get the choke reflex.  This drip doesn't always get cleaned off and the nasal drip along with saliva can build up on the tonsil.  Bacteria growing on this can cause a really bad oral odor that is not alleviated by brushing.  You can try gargling with salt water, you can go to a dentist and have the tonsils "washed" off.  If this is your problem, (it can be diagnosed by the dentist), the only way to permanently "cure" the problem is to have the tonsils removed.  good luck
I feel ur pain.  I had surgery because i had a deviated septum.  I thought this was going to clear all my problems!!  I can finally breath through both my nostrils, but i still have post nasal drip.  I hate it because it smells. I have tried everything.  I has the surgery thinking it would take care of my nasal drip and it didn't. It's thick, gross, and causes bad breath.  I shy away from speaking closely to someone because i am scared that they can smell my bad breath.  I went to a dentist thinking it was my teeth.  He said my teeth were perfect and told me to go see an ENT.  That is how all this got started.  I dont know what to do anymore and i feel very hopeless sometimes.  Please if you find out anything, PLEASE let me know.
Well so far I have yet to find a cure. The post-nasal drip has lessened a bit but I still have pretty bad breath. It's embarassing and truly bothers me because I've done everthing I can to fix it. Each doctors seems to think it'll go away on its own but so far it hasn't.

Hello Crystal,
    I read your comment and I can very much sympathize with your problem.  Getting your tonsils removed is not the answer. During my research I have read that having them removed will not cure your bad breath.  You need to get to the source of the problem.  Post nasal drip is a problem I have been researching for a year now.  Hopefully I can help you.  I currently have post nasal drip and it is leaving very quickly.  I know you are more concerned about bad breath problems because it can effect your life, relationships, and self-esteem.  But the good news is that what I'm using cures that too.  I'm using products called therabreath.  The doctor who created the products is named Katz.  He started his research because his daughter suffered from the same embarrassing problem.  I'm using all of his products.  I suggest you use the starter kit and don't take any short cuts.  You will only waste money.  This is a system that will give you continuous fresh breath if you use it correctly.  You need the toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, nasal drops, throat spray, and mints. I also purchased his nasal/sinus irrigation system.  It was $90 and worth every penny.  It totally clears post nasal drip getting all that sticky mucus that clogs your throat and causes bad breath.  I would have paid $300 to get my life back. (lol)
     The irrigation system gets to the source of the problem.  You need to alternate using the oral products as well so the problem doesn't come back. Do not waste your money on anymore over the counter oral products that will only make the problem worse because they contain sugar.  His products have oxigen bubbles in them; exactly what the mouth needs since it doesn't get any.  Finding his products were a miracle.  I think I have cried my last tear and hopefully you will to after reading this.
     I just hate that I didn't find this sooner.  I suffered from this embarrassing problem for a year and it totally effected my relationship. I am a very social, flirty, confident, outgoing individaul.  But I must say that this was a very humbling experience.
    Go to google and search Therabreath Products or type in www.therabreath.com.  You will find confidence in his articles and testimonies of others who share the same problem as you.  Hope I have helped you.  Good luck!!
     Also be sure to look at food you should minimize or avoid while treating this problem.

I forgot to mention that you should stop wasting your money on doctors and dentist that are only going to ignore you and give you false hope that it will go away.  It doesn't.  It will only get worse.  I had mild post nasal that turned into bad breath you could smell only when speaking to a foul odor that came from my nose.  I also hated social setting when once I loved he spotlight.  I was tired of others covering their nose, turning their heads, coughing, and moving away.  Totally embarrasing.  You are not alone.  You will read that half of all people suffer from this problem. Pls let me know if I have helped you.
Hi thanks for the response. I tried the Therabreath products a few months back--they didn't help. I have the irrigation system and I bought the mouthwash, toothpaste, and the breath spray. I used it all for weeks, it didn't help at all. It didn't remove the white-coating from my tongue either. I was so frustrated. I know they have other products as well but I didn't see the point in buying them because it didn't help. I even got the sinus drops it made the smell worse, It created a bad breath mixed with sinus drops smell-not so great. lol

Its great to hear that it worked for you and that you getting back to enjoying the spotlight. I was the same way but my self-esteem has definately changed this past year.

If you have any other suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks,
C
First I want to say that I'm sorry the products didn't work for you.  Don't get me wrong I felt the same way at first, which was the reason I mentioned that you shouldn't take any short-cuts when using these products because you will only waste money.  Initially, I was only using over the counter therabreath products (toothpaste, mouthwash, and throat spray) and they didn't work alone.  I did this for about a month. I didn't give up because I had tried everything else before and this was the last resort.
When I purchased the irrigation system, I saw a difference.  Like you, I was still frustrated because my bad breath didn't immediately leave.  But I read the book that came with the system in and out.  I used the irrigation system 3 times a day for 4 days straight and noticed that I didn't have that foul smell coming from my nose.  I also had less mucus in my throat, but my bad breath wasn't totally gone.  I kept using it and this makes 2 weeks for me and I have fresh breath now.  However, I have noticed that if I don't go through the steps thoroughly it will come back, but not as bad as before.
I have never had the thick coating on my tongue, so I'm sorry, I don't have any recommendations for that.  The nasal drops also made my breath smell worse at first, but I kept using it.  Now it doesn't.  What I have stop using is therabreath mints and gum because it wasn't working effectively.  Instead I use wrigley's extra sugar-free gum and it works.  I am also using decongestants on days I have excess mucus or post nasal.  I also use their 1 800 no. for any questions.  Don't get discouraged.  I hope you find something that works or give therabreath another try.  
Off the subject, but my last name is Gray and I have a cousin named Crystal Gray.
It always seems that I forget to mention something. Now, this is going to sound disguisting but if you have post nasal you probably have tonsil stones.  These are small white or yellow stones stuck in the throat.  I discovered I had them one day after trying to cough up some of that sticky mucus.  My first day using the irrigation system, I flushed out three and yesterday three more.  Those things stink really bad.  I know my breath is better after getting rid of those.  Now the decongestant that I'm using is benedril.  I'm not recommending that. It does a great job of drying post nasal but I'm sure it's not healthy to take everyday and besides it makes you sleepy.  I do plan to start using mucinex.  It's another decongestant advertised a lot. I also want you to look into using these therabreath tablets that you desolve in tap water. You can gargle with it and swallow some at night before bed.  It is also a good mouth wash. The reason I kept using the throat spray and nasal drop even though they worsened my bad breath is because they get rid of tonsil stones.  Those play a big role in how your breath smells.  The reason I saw mine flush out in the sink is because I put the tongue sprayer so far back in my throat that I gagged a little.(lol)  I know that sounds crazy, but I was trying to literally get to the source (lol) and it worked.  Again I am not recommending that.  Also go to the site when you get a chance and look at frequently ask questions.  You will find suggestions for that white coating on the tongue.  Let me know if I have helped you.
Get off your soapbox and stop selling the BS products from Dr Katz and better yet stay off the message boards.   This guys book is not a solution either, but rather a marketing piece for all of his gimics.  

*** Crystal, don't buy into this ****, this person is a plant pitching this guys products! There are solutions that will help mitigate the problem, but you will not find them in a mail order product.  Keep seeing an ENT and if the one your seeing does not help, go see another one until you find a doctor that has experience in this area.  Every city has a list of "Top Doctors" and what their specialties are.  Do some more research and focus your attention on finding a doctor that will listen and actually give your problem the attention it deserves, rather then sending you on your way after a 10 min visit with another perscprition for anti biotics.  
One thing, which I have recently become aware of, is "metal allergy". While I don't feel it's the source of all ills, I do feel it could be at the root of some problems. The other thing is, how many think of it, as a possible problem. I'm talking about any unnatural substance, we continually have in our bodies. ... false teeth, fillings, piercings, metal pins in broken bones, etc.. The other thing, the metal could be remote from where the problem manifests itself.

Just something to think about, when you are tired of the BS.
I had the same problem for like 4 years and it has just recently cleared up in a week. i had constant white coting on my tongue, would brush/scrape 3 times a day. i could not talk to people up close. I mean my breath was terrible, people would hold thier nose, cough and turn away. one of my nostrtils would block every now and then. The smell go so bad that i had to stop going out on social occasions.

First thing i did was buy a nasal irrigator machine which passes a saline solution through the nose and sinuses. this helped a little with the blockage but the smell was still there.

The real breakthrough came when i bought grapfruit seed extract 100ml bottle from the internet (there are many brands). this stuff kills bacteria, yeast and fungus.
i first put 12 drops in a glass of water and gargled with it sip by sip and then swallow. i did this 3 times a day after brushing and this stopped my breath and cleared my throat for many hours. (but did not totaly cure it)
I experimented one day and put 15 drops in my irrigator machine with the saline solution in the morning and to my amaisment my breath was fresh all day. after doing this for a week i had no nose blockage and no bad breath whatso ever.

I still brush and tongue scrape morning and night and drink 12 drops in water twice a day. this product has changed my life. i just hope i can help others because i know how life sapping having this curse is.
ss1981
ss1981,
There must be a reason that noone posted since your response.  Could it be that they have all been cured?  Possibly yes.  I tried your suggestion on a whim, immediately I noticed the odor had deminished, I mean immediately.

Now I have been suffering from this debilitating disease/symptom for over 12 years and I have tried everything.  In my mind it started after an over use of antibiotics to fight sinus infections.  I went to ent's, allergists, dentisits, gastro-intestinal docs, psychologists, natural healers, chiropractors, accupuncturists, etc.  I've tried everything including dietary changes, nasal washes, thera-breath, food grade hydrogen peroxide, pharmaceutical grade nystatin, more antibiotics, anxiety meds, virgin oils, sinus massage, saunas, reflexology, steam oils, a thousand different supplements and herbs, etc., etc., etc.  I mean the breath I had was Godzilla like and it did not matter how many times I brushed, gargled, or scraped my tongue.  Gum or mints had no effect.  I used to inhale when I talked to people in order to spare the recipients.  I mean people would duck my conversations better than George Bush ducking a flying shoe.  God help the poor ******* that should happen to draw a seat next to me on a plane.  I would have to pretend to sleep the entire flight in order to save him/her from sheer nausea.  

I am a restauranteur and have the need to be in constant social situations with customers as well as close conversations with my employees.  It has been difficult to say the least.  I have been using the grapefruit extract now for about 5 days and I feel for the first time in years confident enough to talk closely with my employees, friends, and customers again. When I wake in the morning I can literally give my girlfriend a kiss now, exhaling with an open mouth without even brushing my teeth first...it is amazing.  She noticed a immediate difference in my mood.  I am almost certain that the odors were due to a fungal infection of sorts that would produce disgusting smells while attaching itself to stagnent mucus from post nasal drip and drainage.  I was hacking constantly.  I could scrape what seemed like fur off of the back of my tongue at times, especially when I drank milk, soda or beer, ate bread, or had anything sugary to eat.  The mucus would accumulate like you could not imagine, it was like old yogurt that never went away.  I was constatnly clearing my throat or hacking and spitting.  It was truly disgusting.  I would have to keep a waste basket next to my bed to expel the **** throughout the night or I felt like I would choke.  I disgusted myself not to mention the anxiety I felt around my girlfriend and other people.  

Since taking the grapefruit extract the mucus is still present, but less sticky which makes it easier to swallow, and is no longer odorous.  Food tastes better than ever and I no longer have that nasty bitter sour taste constantly in my throat.  I feel like a new man.  I hope to soon get back to living my life.  I went to the dentist today for the first time in 2 years and felt confident having my mouth open for the better part of an hour.  I ate white toast and cereal with real milk for breakfast today and suffered no repercusions.  It feels like a miracle and I want to especially thank you for posting on this board, which I just happen to come across after I googled smelly post nasal drip.  I have been on hundreds of threads hoping to find a cure and this appears to finally be it.  Thank you again!  You are the man or woman?!  My family, friends, employees, customers, and especially my wonderfully tolerant girlfriend of 5 years thanks you as well.

Last thing, I did notice a bit of a tingling or numbing sensation on my tongue since I began using the extract, just wondering if that has happened to you as well and if so how long it takes to go away if ever.  My research on grapefruit seed extract turned up some info this symptom as a possible side effect.  Also, I still do seem to have a fair amount of mucus still, I have not used a nasal irrigator but have used a neti pot with the extract.  Just wondering, did your mucus issue go away more slowly or do you have another suggestion to alleviate that problem?  Thanks in advance.  Rick.
Holy cow, i'm getting so happy reading about this grapefruit extract.  I thought I had my problem fixed after finding out about the saline wash, it helped keep my breath fresh longer but after 2-4 hours the (AWFUL!!!) smell would come back.  I just came back to this site in hope of finding something and here it is, please god let this work.  I can't do this much longer, I mean this has really mad me suicidal, even when i'm alone it's all I can think about.
ss1981 or RickGB

I'd really like to contact and maybe have a convo with one of you guys about this issue to be sure we have the same problem.

When i'm sitting in a room with someone say 5 feet away from them, even right after brushing and with gum in my mouth i'm asked, "did you fart"?  I've told people that I did fart before just becuase that's less embarrasing then saying no my breath is just that jacked up.  It almost seems like the bad smell comes out like a fart like it can be somewhat a normal smell but I can still smell that dry cheese kind of smell but then out of nowhere it gets really bad.  Maybe it's just how the smell travels thru the wind.  I have to fix this.  i'm going on 5 years now and to be honest i'm about to give up and look into disability and live alone.
Hello to all, this message is for ss1981, RickGB, and icantlivelikethis.  Which grapefruit extract brand exactly did you guys use and where can I get it.  PLEEEAAASSE!!! As I’m so desperately looking to get rid of this problem once and for all.  I’m pretty sure you guys know the importance of networking and helping one another…
So did the grapefruit seed extract work for you icantlivelike this?
Please let me know what brand of grapefruit seed extract that you used - is it still working for you? And exactly how are you taking it - still 12 drops per glass 3xday?  And what type of irrigation machine did you add the 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract?  I've had this for 15 years, had many surgeries that have not helped and I am desperate!  Please, please answer soon.
I recently purchased the grapefruit seed extract at a Whole Food Market store and the brand name I used is Nutri Biotic and it hurt like hell when using it and didn’t work a bit.  I tried it the way that ss1981 said and that’s to add15 drops in the irrigator and run it through my nostrils and it hurt like HELL.  It felt like my head was about to get blown off.  I don’t think I use the correct brand, because it made my problem worser.  I return that **** 3 days later and I’m now looking online to find a good one or the one that the others in this forum had use that’s if they ever come back on.  The G.S.E. not only made my post nasal drip problem worser but it made my eyes red immediately upon using it.  I then put 6 drops instead of 15 and it did the same thing with the same results.  Then I said o.k. I’ll use it with just 1 drop and it still gave me the same results as before.  In my honest opinion I don’t think I’m using the right one because if I was I’m sure the results would be different.  I understand that no 2 person are alike but still if these guys have use the same one that I use I’m pretty sure they would’ve mention the pain that it cause in the middle of their face and the red stain that it leaves in the eyes even if the brand had worked for them.  That’s just my experience with using the product. I pray that one of those guys who have seen result in using this product will come back on the forum and tell us which brand they use.
Did anyone find a cure. My story is like everyone else ....Dr Katz is a waste of money.
Did you add water or saline to the grapefruit extract? If you irrigated with just the extract alone you would be asking for a nasal-nightmare of pain.  

Hey JustMein09 I used water with the grapefruit seed extract.  But what's your story???  Do you have PND???  If not what did you use to cure the problem...
I'm going to try this method too (I also have PND) BUT, you must include the saline.  That's a must!!
*I tried this and copied a post I made on another page...reference the flip turn method, if you're interested.*  

OK Friggy, I had to give you the update and post this so that it can help others.  I had done the flip turn since Wednesday morning.  Wednesday during the day, the smell coming out of my nose must have been horrible.  People were making faces etc.  When I tested my breath, that was bad too.  I was really upset.  I was so depressed, I didn't even do it in the evening when I got home.  I did it again Thursday morning.  Awful smell from the nose during the day.  People were coughing and saying it smelled on the bus.  I stayed home Friday.  I had battled bad breath for a LONG TIME.  But, the bad smell from the nose was a new thing (which I can't smell/test myself).  It's one thing to just keep your mouth shut, it's a whole other thing to not be able to exhale/breathe without being thoroughly embarrassed.  I stayed home Friday and would not leave my apartment.  I was so upset.  I didn't do any flip turns (though I had planned to).  I stayed home Saturday and did not do any flip turns.  I was still very upset.  Here's the thing.  When I would do them, with the saline I wouldn't get any real gunk out.  It was just thick, clear, with areas of whitish mucus, but nothing extreme.  I went back to this site and saw a post about using grapefruit seed extract and it being a miracle worker.  I had used GSE in my neti pot before and was convinced that this was what brought on the BAD exhalation smell in my nose.  But, I figured I had nothing to lose and added it to my saline solution for the flip turn.  I did it a number of times (laying back on the edge of the bed the way someone suggested in the comments.  This was four in the moring (yes, I stayed up that long b/c I was so upset).  I did a ton of flip turns, holding each one for about 30 seconds or 45...I didn't really time it.  After a series of them (I had gone through maybe two ounces of solution).  I went to pour out the container I had used to expel the solution from my nose, there were BIG SOLID chunks of white stuff in it.  It resembled pieces of crumbled ricotta cheese.  I had never seen anything like it.  There were a whole bunch of these things...as if I had chewed up ricotta and spit it into the container!!  I did it a few more of these.  I didn't get any more ricotta cheese (maybe one little piece that you could barely see) and decided that it was time to go to sleep.  It was 5am.  I brushed my teeth, tongue, gargled w/ GSE in water and went to bed.  I woke up at noon.  I tested my breath by spitting on the back of my hand, letting it air dry and smelling (as I do every morning).  Usually, I catch a whiff immediately.  This time, I had to search HARD to find it.  I eventually did, But the smell was not nearly as putrid.  So, I can say that 7 hrs later (upon waking, no less), my breath's intensity has diminished AND the smell that is released is not as bad.  Usually my breath could smell after an hour and at FULL FORCE.  This is a true miracle for me.  A blessed Sunday.  I thank God for letting me discover your flip turn method and the other post about GSE (putting those two together may have just changed my life).  I don't know about the smell coming from my nose.  I'll have to test it tomorrow.  I'll probably got to the campus health center, tell them I'm sick and as the doctor or nurse if they smell something when I exhale (otherwise I'd just be wayyyy too embarrassed to ask anyone else).   But, yeah I'm going to keep doign this forever.  b/c it can only get better from here.  You know, I had bronchial pneumonia when I was two and always got bronchitis when I was younger (until my mom switched me to soy milk).  I used to drink regular milk all the time.  What I expelled this morning is probably residual from back then...in the '90s!!!  For anyone curious, I bought the Nutribiotic GSE (can be found on amazon or in any healthfood store) and added the amount of GSE they recommended for a nasal rinse to my hypertonic saline solution for the Flip Turn.  The amount of GSE I gargled with was also the amount this company recommended for gargling.  I will also post this on the other forum (the one that told me about the GSE) so that it can help them as well.  I think the Friggy flip turn + GSE can help a lot of people!  Thanks again and have a blessed day!!  Oh, and for people wanting to view either forum, just click on my profile and find the comments I've posted.  That will take you to the other site so you can view the discussions in entirety.  
never mind, I posted too soon.  It didn't work for me over time
Here is my summary of research for all post nasal drip sufferers (I am a 10 year sufferer, still looking for a cure but i feel i am now armed with very useful knowledge that may bring me to a cure / significant improvement, this has been gathered from a variety of articles, websites and forums over a number of years), i believe that the following list of issues are interlinked and if tackled progressively we could see improvements, traditional doctors and medicine will look at managing symptoms but not necessarily a cure, thats because in my opinion there is not a single cureable condition that the doctors can pinpoint and eradicate chronic post nasal drip, merely a number of factors that combine to produce the symptoms we experience:

1. Acid reflux and digestive problems - correct with use of probiotics (acidophilus and bifidobacterium) and digestive enzymes - to restore balance of digestive system where problems can begin. Acid reflux linked to post nasal drip but the reality is that both problems are likely caused by a third party condition/source rather than one causing the other, doctors will aim to correct acid reflux to eradicate post nasal drip but that doesn't work in most cases.
2. Amalgam fillings - replace them for white fillings and commence heavy metal detox (cilantro and chlorella) - remove toxic metals from body capable of causing many problems and exacerbating others particularly candida. A lot of hype and paranoia currently surrounds amalgams, but I genuinely believe that the presence of mercury in the body from amalgams can increase the power and toxicity of other illnesses, whether or not they cause illnesses single handedly.
3. Candidiasis - Use anti candida supplements and diet to eradicate candida albicans from body - Overuse of antibiotics, presence of mercury in the body (amalgam fillings), poor diet etc. cause overgrowth of candida in gut which can spread to other parts of body causing mayhem. White tongue, oral and oesophagal thrush, skin problems etc.... Long list of signs of candida presence and potential symptoms. Amalgam removal essential to assist eradication, plus anti-fungal remedies, probiotics and anti-candida diet.
4. Leaky Gut Syndrome - a result of candidiasis and poor gut health. Basically holes are formed in the gut wall allowing things through to parts of the body they shouldnt reach and as a result the body may react to those "things" as foreign invaders and trigger allergic response. Eradicate candida, take steps to improve gut bacterial balance, other natural supplements can help reduce and correct leaky gut syndrome.
5. General detoxification - Use natural detox remedies to detox a)Liver (eradicate toxins, improve immune function etc). b) Kidneys (poor kidney function = poor health), c) Colon cleanse (clean out toxins and excess body waste). The internet is full of resources to advise on the method of detox.
6. Quit Smoking if you are a smoker. Prevent further damage of lungs, sinuses, internal organs etc. Quit drug use if this applies to you also.
7. Allergies - This is the hardest part, so much conflicting opinion and doctors love to put undiagnosable conditions simply down to "allergies" without truly investigating the root causes. Allergies can potentially be reduced and even eliminated by some of the steps above, but investigating allergies in extra detail is recommended with an allergy specialist who will invest some time and energy into you. Allergies can be a symptom of poor internal health including digestion. Common allergens related to post nasal drip include Milk and Wheat / Gluten. After following steps 1 to 5 we should be much more healthy internally and if we still experience problems then allergies may possibly be the final frontier.
8. Vitamins and Minerals - Just to assist good health in the process of recovery and detoxification.
9. Healthy Diet - another obvious thing to consider on the path to recovery.

Sinus washes, nasal operations, stomach operations and acid remedies, allergy nasal sprays and antihistamines etc are all just efforts to reduce symptoms and usually fail for most of us. Few doctor I have heard of will look to address the internal root causes of what we are experiencing, its more than they have the time or energy for.

The above list is likely to be a long and experimental journey for most of us, if you research each of the above list in relation to your symptoms you will see there is definitely a link! Much of the above wont be seriously addressed by mainstream doctors, the type of people who can assist with them will be holistic and homeopathic doctors as there is a lot of natural remedy and herbal aspects to some items particularly natural detoxification. You need to keep an open mind, homeopathy has its cynics including myself, but a good holistic doctor may succeed where traditional medicine fails. I am not suggesting homeopathy is the single path to cure, just an assistance along the way with a "thinking outside the box" approach.

I am beginning by having amalgams replaced. then i will address the heavy metal detox, candida, stomach acid and detoxification over a period of 12 to 24 months and see where I end up. One thing for sure is by the time i am finished I will be internally 90% healthier than I am today, so that has to be worth the journey. I am going to seek an experienced holistic professional to help me and advise me along the way, i recommend the same to others.

Good Luck to you all, hope this has helped in some way

Domflanuk
hi there, i have suffered with this problem for 18 years now and have tried everything! i have been using a netti  to sinus cleans which doesnt help. i am going to try your method with the grapefruit, can this been used with the neti pot or do i need some other type of nasal irrigation system, the neti can only be used in head forward position. many thanks
**PLEASE READ** I've suffered for almost 2 decades with chronic post nasal drip and bad breath because of it. I'm currently 26 now and the last 2 weeks I went on an anti candida diet where I did not consume sugars/carbohydrates to kill off excess yeast. I ate lots of raw garlic with my foods.

That still didn't help with the post nasal drip or stinky mucus. I read more on this site and someone wrote about grape fruit seed extract mixed in with a saline spray... I don't have grape fruit seed extract but what I used was a nose sprayer with store bought clean/spring water and celtic sea salt mixed in.

I used tap water and table salt long ago and never went on the anti-sugar diet about a year ago and that didn't help so I think  the diet and the clean water and better celtic sea salt helped.  What i did was spray like 15-20 times or more into each nostril until the water ran into my mouth and it also dispelled a chunk of whitish-yellow mucus that assume was the infection but I can't be sure... it made my nose bleed and hurt like hell but for the whole day I didn't have any stink just a very small amount of post nasal drip.

I even binged the night before eating equilvalent to about 5 bowls of ice cream in sugar and still the next day when I tried the celtic sea salt spray into nose I was stink free the whole day.

If anyone is reading this please don't try store bought saline crap, make it yourself with clean water and healthier celtic sea salt... you might have to change your diet too because before this cure everytime I ate sugar/cobohydrates foods i would get massive post nasal drip and it made my stink worse.

Now eating sugary foods after this "cure" I still don't get a lot of post nasal drip. So I hope I may have helped someone because suffering for almost 2 decades was painful but now I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders and i can finally enjoy life and be with someone wow **PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD IN ALL THREADS**
Hey has anyone tried the regimen by curedsufferer and seen great results???  I'm looking to do it myself, i know he already gave the instructions but i want to get into depth on it.
I tried the celtic sea salt regime provided by curedsufferer.  I did it for 4 days, didn't see no results some now i'm back to step one; looking for something that will help.  Anyone with any suggestions.  
Ive got mucus in throat, my breath I find bad, but its not too noticable.  I think breath problem is caused by food getting stuch in mucus in throat, and rotting, or whatever.
So the Dr. Katz products didn't work for you? I got a bunch of that stuff but it's so expensive and I can't imagine living my life this way. I can't take constant breaks and squirt stuff up my nose, gargle, spray products down my throat and buy the multitude of other things and use them all in one day. I work and go to classes. While I currently gargle 3-4 times daily I just can't slip away to use all the products more than in the morning and in the evening. Did you try all of the products or just some of them?
Have you found anything that has proven effective for you yet? My story is pretty much the same as everyone else's here. I don't think that it's too bad but it's bad enough that it's bugging me. I just found out that what I've been experiencing for years now (probably 4-5 yrs) is PND. I think that is one of the main causes of tonsil stones for me. I started getting those too! I've been desperate. I'm quite sure that the stink and the mucus that is always in my throat are related. I've been trying everything! I've been trying the Dr. Katz products for a little over a week now with little results. I just purchased the grapefruit seed extract. I found that on the label it said that you can use it to do nasal irrigating. Have you tried that? I noticed that I have a lot less mucus and that one of my nostrils has cleared significantly. What have you been trying. I see that you've been on this thread a lot, hence why I'm asking you.
Nah nothing worked for me so far, i did the grapefruit seed extract irrigation and it burned my nose like hell!  Dr. katz products is a waste of time and money for me.  I'm looking into trying this diet called the 80/10/10 diet along with some other stuff to take, hopefully that will work, if so i'll post it on the thread...
Even if you have been tested for food allergies? Try not eating any Soy, Poultry, Peanuts, White Potatoes and Dairy for 7 days.
Wait, I forgot Barley!
Thanks M835...
Don't know if you are still having trouble, but also for anyone else having this problem: Foods that you eat can create mucus. Dairy is especially bad at creating mucus. I read this book years ago that really helped me. I cut out all Dairy and the mucus stopped (then I had dry Rhinitis so I added a little back in and it helped restore the normal flow). If you want to know more read the book "Mucusless Diet" by Arnold Ehret; Dr. John R. Christopher also has a book on the Mucusless Diet. You can also do a Google search for mucusless diet. Hope this helps somebody!
I really hope something from this board helps.   I havn't done the salt rinse in awhile.  I did it today and I feel more yucky.  The taste has doubled in grossness.  I will seek out the GSE on tomorrow.  I hope it works.  I have a 13hr train ride tomorrow.  I pray its not packed so I can have a full section to myself or else I will probably pass out from trying to hold my breath to long.  
Ok i tried the GSE.  Now my nose is really stopped up.  Hopefully this means that it has loosened some of the hard stuff.  When I blow its a thick clear paste.  My question is was this already there or is the solution causing the paste.  
I had post nasal drip for over 30 years, it caused me a lot of embarresment.
Two months ago i stopped eating anything that has gluten,wheat or dairy
and i steam my face with hot water and a little bit of eucalyptus oil for two weeks. my post nasal drip is gone, the smell is gone and i could not be any
happier.
you are definately right. Crystal is aplant trying to sell his product! It's so obvious. I spent hundreds of dollars on Theradreath products and it did nothing for me either.  There's gotta be a solution to this post nasal drip that's making our breath smell like eggs or poop, and that damn TheraBreath is not the answer. There must be a natural cure somewhere such as a structured lifestyle of eating or something. I even wonder whether it's because it's a deficiency of some vitamin we're not getting. I don't know, but if you guys find a solution please let us know.
I have been suffering with excessive post nasal drip for the last 1 1/2 years. I went through allergy testing and found that I am allergic to dust and dust mites. The ENT prescribed generic Flonaise, and recommend that I use Zyrtec and Mucinex. It improved some, but recently I started using a Neti Pot (Neil Med) every night. I have notice a big improvement!
drink alot of water dehydration and dry mouth can cause bad breath. a neti pot can help post nasal drip and gargle with salt water also. during the day use a nasal saline moisturizer too. if that doesnt work try closys toothpaste and mouthwash.my dentist recommended this . I have had breath problems for many years and can feel your pain. hopefully some if this stuff will help. :)
I tried the neti pot with the salt and added hydrogen peroxide and have seen an improvement. Also listerine mouthwash gargle but tilt head and open mouth wide to make sure you get the back of the throat and tonsil area. Get an electric toothbrush and massage back of tongue and tonsil area with listerine mouthwash. The whole objective is to expose that throat area behind the tongue to the listerine and nasal irrigant to kill that bacteria that is causing the bad breath. Remember that back throat anatomy has a lot of hidden folded tissue crevices that harbor that nasty smell. Be proactive and do everything physically possible to expose that area to the irritants (neti pot saline solution hydrogen peroxide) and electric toothbrush (sonicare bc it causes vibration that can loosen debris in tonsil area) if you don't gag you ain't going far enough! If this doesn't help then you may need to surgically remove your tonsils. But the first obvious thing is to rule out that your breath is not caused by periodontal disease or gingivitis and that can be diagnosed by your dentist. Hope this helps.
I recommend that you all get your Silver Amalgam Fillings removed as they contain 50% Mercury. This has become a common problem for people with Post Nasal Drip. It can also effect memory, motivation and a whole host of other conditions.

Many dentists aren't aware of the dangers and may even get upset when confronted. I would also recommend you don't have them removed by just ANY dentist's office. The dentist's office would have to specialize in Mercury removal. If the fillings are not removed properly, you risk permanent brain damage.

The cost could be anywhere from $175-$200 per tooth depending on location and is not covered by medicaid.

To find an office in your area, I would recommend this site:

dentalwellness4u.com/freeservices/find_dentists.html

Did you know that once amalgam fillings are removed from a person's mouth, they suddenly become toxic waste and must be handled properly?

It is illegal for dentists to dispose of them by waste basket, the environmental protection law states so. But dentists and doctors don't see these inconsistencies because they don't even think about them. They just blindly follow their books and continue to quote the same lines over and over again.
I had cronic (chronic) post nasal drip and tonsil stones for the last couple years with frequent sinus infections. Got tired of living life that way.
My solution?  I had my tonsils removed.
Went back and forth about the idea for about a year and finally decided to bite the bullet.
Glad I Did!
Hi how are you all doing! Some time has passed so I'm wondering has anyone stumbled upon a break through or improved? Please share
READ THIS AND I PROMISE YOU YOUR LIFE, SINUSES AND BREATH WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL IN 60 DAYS OR LESS!

You can flush your sinuses with every herb, solution, or mixture you want, and you are NOT going to get rid of your stinky post nasal drip. Chronic, stinky PND and bad breath is DIET RELATED. Let me say that again, it's DIET RELATED. Get that through your head. DIET RELATED!!

And not to mention, that grape seed extract that people were talking about above is HORRIBLE for your body and brain. Do some research and you will realize that it's pretty much like spraying Windex up your nose. DON'T DO IT.

Every chronic condition is caused by your diet. Diabetes, MS, bad breath, PND, allergies, high blood pressure, bad skin, EVERYTHING. You HAVE to eat clean or you are wasting your time and money on so-called "cures" and you are hurting your body eating the junk that you consume on a regular basis.

Eating clean means ONLY eating grilled chicken (NOT FRIED), fish (NOT FRIED), all vegetables and the supplements that I will list below... and the occasional grass-fed beef. NOTHING ELSE. Drink water and ONLY water with every meal and between meals. Drink 8 LARGE glasses a day, at least.

Obviously, this dramatic change in your lifestyle/diet is very tough to get used to, especially after you are used to eating whatever you've wanted in the past. I used to have a big sweet-tooth, drink alcohol with my buddies, and pretty much eat whatever I wanted. In return, I had nasty breath, nasty post nasal drip, and an embarrassing social life.

I wanted to kill myself for a long time. The nose grabs, the disgusted look on even my FRIENDS faces was just a nightmare. I remember I was at a bar one night with some friends, and I thought our waitress was so pretty. Then one trip over, she said, "Oh my god, what is that smell?! It smells like rotten cheese!" I knew exactly what she was referring to. I wanted to cry. I DID cry once I returned home. It was just horrible. Nobody should have to go through that. And guess what? It's not your fault. All the processed food that's promoted these days are ruining the health of millions of people. Oh, and doctors don't give a crud about your problem. They just want to put you on a drug or refer you to another idiot doctor. That sounds like a conspiracy, but it's the truth, whether you believe it or not.

ANYWAY, once I realized that my diet was what was causing my chronic condition (thanks to NO doctor), my life changed forever. I STILL am on the same clean diet that I started 7 years ago and I still have great breath and perfect sinuses. :)

Food allergies (the b a s t a r d s that are causing your agony) take sometimes up to 60 days to go away. HAVE PATIENCE, PEOPLE! Stick with what I am telling you, and you will want to kiss me once your problems are gone (and you won't feel self-conscious when you do kiss me, because you'll have fresh breath lol).

So, go out tomorrow to your local grocery store, stock up on fresh fish, chicken, tuna, and vegetables (green vegetables are the best IE: broccoli, celery, lettuce, spinach, etc). I will be totally honest with you, the diet ***** out loud getting used to, but it is totally worth it in the end. I am as healthy as I have ever been. My skin glows and my mind works like a finely tuned race car. I'm not bragging, it's just the side-effects that come with this clean lifestyle. Oh, and I sleep like a freakin baby every night!

And the good part is, you can eat as much as you want of the above and you will still lose weight and keep off the fat.

Let me make this clear, in case you are STILL wondering. NO DAIRY, NO BREAD, NO ALCOHOL, NO SUGAR, NOTHING THAT TASTES GOOD! NO PASTA, NO FRUIT (CONTAINS SUGAR).

The supplements that I take every day are as follows: an organic daily multivitamin (I take New Chapter Organics), 1,000 extra IU's of vitamin D3, Super Quercetin (2,000 mg's), 1,000 mg's of Bromelain, 1,200 mg's of N-Acetyl Cysteine, a 10 billion colony Probiotic, and flaxseed oil. All of these supplements help with the flushing of mucus and are great for brain support. MUCUS is bad and causes a lot of problems inside your body (not just your stinky odor).

ALSO, if you are a mouth breather, you NEED to stop. Tape your mouth shut when you sleep (I'm serious). Mouth breathing is really bad for you. Do research!

I promise you, if you stick to what I have just laid out for you, after 60 days, you will be a new person. Not only that, but once you are used to the diet, you won't want to eat the junk you were eating before.

OH and exercise a few times a week. Sweat out the bad stuff and take in the good!

If you are wondering why I am posting this on the forum, it's because I am wanting to write a book on the subject. I know that millions of people suffer from this problem and I want to help them.

If you have any questions, post them here and I will answer.

I would say good luck, but you won't need any luck if you follow my advice.
I just got this PND 2 weeks ago around the time I was also hospitalized for having 4.0 Iron and required a blood transfusion.  I just happen to read this forum and am scared, didn't know PSD could be permanent.  Brad you have a great idea! I am going to try your regimen. I wish you well with your book. OH,I don't know if my breath smells bad yet from this but i don't want to wait to find out. I lost 200lbs a few years ago but became complacent eating what ever I wanted. I am going back to healthy eating  as you suggested and in addition im going to try the Eucalyptus oil with hot water treatment and pray to GOD that will fix the PND.
MissLadie...

As I said in my previous post, you can try all kinds of treatments, flushes, inhalants, etc and your PND is not going to go away. Don't waste your time and money sniffing oils. POST NASAL DRIP IS DIET RELATED!!!

If you try my diet, make sure you get enough calories. Eating lean meat and vegetables only will make you tired and weak if you don't get enough. Since they don't have many calories, you have to eat a lot. Try to include a lot of olive oil in your cooking, since it is high in calories.

If you need extra calories, you can eat some whole grains. This does not mean eating white bread. Whole grains, such as brown rice, whole grain pasta, quinoa, and whole wheat bread. If you get a reaction to the bread, cut it out of your diet and stick to the brown rice and other whole grains.

Natural salsa is excellent with brown rice. Eat as much as you want of that. You'll grow to love it! All kinds of beans are high in GOOD carbs, and will help you get enough energy. This does NOT include refried beans.

Please post any questions and I will answer them quickly. I am subscribed to this thread, so I will get an email alert.
Brad,

Thanks for taking the time to help us fellow travelers. It's been a painful couple of decades dealing with this issue, especially as I get older and others start to crop up alongside it.

I'm going to start your diet soon, but I was hoping you could answer one question for me: where do eggs fit in?

I try to lift weights regularly and I also cycle a lot. Eggs are my favorite breakfast. I'm hoping they aren't part of what's causing the problem.

Thanks.
Tonsil stones can be behind the tonsils.  You cannot see mine.  I can get them to come up sometimes if I flex my throat.  My ent said the only way to get rid of them is removing my tonsils.  Mine is manageable for now but I think its from post nasal drip.  Its been awhile since the last post.  Any luck?
BradW0905, great post.  I got a major ear and sinus infection last year (for the first time in my life) and it caused PND and MAJOR odor!  I was looking for solutions and I have noticed that it is related to diet...  I typically eat similar to what you mentioned (lean chicken/fish, green veggies, and lots of water and exercise).  When I eat well, no odor.  But I have noticed that certain foods have been causing the gross odor.  I have been trying to determine the cause and source, and like you said, I believe it is tied to either dairy (which I have almost eliminated), gluten (breads/wheat) or sugar (and/or some other foods).  So, after reading your post, it confirms the diet solution and I am eliminating as much of those odor causing foods as possible.  I totally agree... it is diet and what we eat does affect most illness, skin, and physical body-related symptoms.  Thanks for the confirmation!!

Dave
Ridondo,

Sorry for the slow reply. Today was the first time I received an alert from this site since the last time I posted.

I don't eat eggs. I used to love scrambled eggs, but I learned that they are very allergenic and do more harm than good to our bodies. If you do some research online, the yolk in the egg has been linked to disease and an increase in cancer rate. Yes, the yolk contains a lot of good vitamins in it, but it also contains some bad stuff.

According to a lot of studies, including one from Harvard, the bad stuff (cholesterol mainly) in the yolk far outweighs the good stuff. If you want to eat eggs for the protein, look online for Egg Whites International. They have the best, and purest egg whites around. Read their articles and they will tell you why.
I have had the same problem now for 10 years. What drives me crazy is the doctors who either simply prescribe antibiotics over and over, when they are not fixing the bad smell, and then the other doctors, who insist that I'm imaging the comments that people make about the bad smell. These docs simply want to put me onto antidepresents so that I don't feel quite so bad about having bad breath. It makes me so sad because I'm not imaging the remarks people make to me, especially when I'm forced to reply or make an excuse for the bad smell. This is a two way (or sometimes three way) conversation, it is not in my head! Also I'm not imaging the sinus stones which drop from my sinus onto my tounge. These are small balls of what I believe are either fungus or puss or both, and when you squash them the most awful smell comes out. I've had sinus surgery, which has helped a little, but was not the complete cure I was hoping for. I've tried washing my sinus with various solutions, but worry that they might be doing more harm than good. I need someone I can trust to be honest with me, so that I can know if a solution is working or making it worse. Unfortunately no-one in my family is comfortable with advising me, which simply means that I'm at the mercy of the not so nice people in the world, who make nasty comments. Oh well, I'm seeing yet another doctor today, so I'll see how that goes.
I have done and been on everything everyone says and its 2013. I am trying the pure honey and lemon-not working, took myself off of all the Gerd meds and tried the appl cid vineg with the mother -olly helpin a little-increased my vita c-no change, taking odorless garlic, all these throat coat and breathe easy teas-temp for the moment-scucking the vitamin d and taking the emergenc c-no change-got on the holistic websites that says combine all of the above- i feel healthy but still have the reflux, cough, and PNDrip bad. Been to every dr-had every test- now what.. driving my coworkers and family crazy-also doing the nose flush 3x's a day-no change!!
its your diet, change your diet. like chaging oil in your car. put "bad" oil car wont run good. put "good" your runs smooth. so u have to eat healthy. no dairy/cheese, no meat, no gluten, no wheat, no sugar. no sugar at all. also check for parasites, use wormwood/ black walnut. do liver, colon kidney cleanse. fast for couple days. do all this for a month to see if u get any better. if improving better keep going. if not than go to doctor and get all the test done. dont forget  to take your supplements and probiotics. take care of yourself. there is no god watching over us protecting us from harm. if there is one, this wouldnt happen to us or he has a funny sense of humor. the only person watching protecting you is you.remember that.
Hi I would like to share my experience about this(Im not good at english so please bear with my grammar)

I had this kind of problem before; people are covering their nose everytime that im close to them ,here's the thing i work in a callcenter and you know what it does right you open your mouth all the time to answer customers concern. It's very embarassing specially if a girl set beside me. I can't talk to much because i feel like my breath smells like **** or rotten egg. Well to make story short i research about halitosis and tried almost anything to cure this embarassing situation, I found out that despite all the medication and herbal medicines that i tried, i've found that the reason my breath still stinks regardless how may times i scrap my tongue and brush my teeth is because of internal problem within me ; i have a GERD (still have it though but it attack occasionally unlike before it's almost everyday i think,) and i also had a tonsil stone that smells like ****. Well to make story shortlet me share to you what i did
1.I quit smoking,
2.I excercise everyday for an hour
3.I took this chlorella food supplements (Helps me a lot for my upset stomach and keep my mind ease all the time, i dont know the reason why it keep me calm but hey it works for me)
3.Drink lots of water, when drinking water it's advisable to take a sip from time to time instead of drinking the whole glass of water
4. I Think the most important thing is ,breath like baby,yes you read it right breath like baby, (you can watch youtube about it),I breath shallow before and i always feels nervous all the time ,but when i start to breath like what babies does , those clog nose starts to flow unconditionally to my stomach>

5. Remember all must flow unconditionally ,don't force yourself to swallow your phlegm since you feel like something stocks in your throat,once you breath like baby you will notice that you swallow differently.

I know that it's a horrible grammar that i have their but im not american ,english is not my native language i would like to share and deliver it the best that i can to help my situation before; which by the way it took me 3 months to completely feel differently than before now i can go to social gathering ,talks with girls and regain my confidence

-Disclaimer about chlorella by the way please consult with your doctors or medical experts about it, it works form me maybe you can try it as well,,but consult it with your doctor.

Thank You very much =)

1.I quit smoking,
2.I excercise everyday for an hour

Thank You very much =)