Allergy Community
Post operative allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Post operative allergy

I had a knee replacement surgery done.  Since my operation, I had 3 allergic reactions with total body hives.  I had to go to ER to each time to get treatment.  What is so complicated is that these 3 reactions have come on average of 6 to 7 weeks.  I had one yeasterday exactly 48 days after the second one.  I didn't have this problem before this surgery.  Could I be allergic to the metal in my knee?
Welcome to the forum!
Yes it is possible to be allergic to the metal in your prosthesis. However though this is uncommon, this is not impossible.
The other possibility is mold allergy. It could also be urticaria, which  is usually triggered by allergens, such as drugs, foods, insect bites, inhaled substances, in response to sunlight, cold, heat, stress, exercise, or a viral infection. Other common allergens are pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, or cosmetics. Just go over these possibilities in your mind. Something may strike you—a new pet in neighborhood, a new AC or anything.
I would strongly recommend you to consult an allergy specialist. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!