Allergy Community
Potential Shrimp Allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Potential Shrimp Allergy

I'm a 26 year old female, with zero experience with allergies.  Two months ago, while eating shrimp at a Chinese restaurant, I felt intense burning in the back of my throat.  Buring/Pain I guess is the best way to describe it.  I felt really anxious all of a sudden, like I was going to die.  I didn't have the sensation that my throat was closing, and I could still breathe.  Regardless, I left the restaurant and went home.  Two nights ago, I was at another Chinese restaurant, and I ate two shrimp.A few minutes later, I got the same burning pain in my throat.  I began to drink lots of water.  My left eye got itchy, and without thinking I rubbed it.  My friend came back to our table to state that I looked 'really bad'.Upon going to the washroom, my left eye was now bright red, swollen and hurting.  I had some itchy blotches on my left side of the neck, and my throat was still burning.  Instead of going to the emergency, I decided that I would wait this out.  Its now Sunday and my throat feels like it does when you put something to hot in it, and you burn the roof of your mouth.My eye is fine, not swollen, not red.It does feel slightly irritated once in a while.  WHat I want to know is can this allergy have a second reaction that I've read about?  I spoke to a nurse on the phone who stated that anaphylaxis occurs after 1-2 hours after the reaction.  So, two days later is my throat going to suddenly close up?  I realize the seriousness of whatever is going on in my body, however I cannot see my doctor until February 19th.I'm anxious over this now, and I'm sure its not necessary!
Stop eating shrimp and watch out for like foods.  Have you tried taking Benadryl? It is an antihistamine but it also works on allergic reactions and helps you sleep.  You can get that or the store brand of it.  It comes in liquid form for kids and all kinds of pill type form for adults. It will make you very drowsie, so be careful if you're driving and stuff.  You will find it with the allergy and cold medicines in most stores. Not everyone has the exact same allergic reactions to things but I can tell you that if you truely are allergic to the shrimp or the seasoning on it;you will have a worse reaction every time you do eat it until it gets to the point of rushing you to the hospital.  I wouldn't take the chance if I were you. Try gargaling with warm salt water a few times a day to get rid of that burning throat or try it with listerine. It can' make it worse. Just for the knowledge of what could be the problem,call both chinese restaurants to find out if they use the same ingredients on the shrimp that you ate.  It may well be a hot seasoning that you are very sensitive to and should avoid. You probably could skip the doctor appt. if that was the problem. (unless you still feel bad of course) Good Luck