Allergy Community
Prednisone Side Effects-Nephrotic Syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hi, I was diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome in Janaury 2008.  My first Nephrologist tried to get me to accept the Prednisone Therapy.  I did a bit of research and completely rejected his recommendation.  Well after several months and seeking other medical advise, I have come to the conclusion that this is worth a try.  I really am looking forward to having my life back and so I got strong and accepted the therapy, I mean who wants a MoonFace, but then again who wants to be sick?  I have read several postings on this web site and alot of you are concerned about bloating and about developing arthritis or bone loss while on this Prednisone.  My doctor has been very very good in giving my preventative meds for these side effects.  (There isn't anything we can take for the MoonFace, that will go away when we taper the dose or get completely off it) Getting back to the meds my doctor has given me for the side effects.  Well it's no secret that Prednisone has several side effects and so my doctor has prescribed Nexium to protect the lining of my stomach, she has prescribed Lasix and Potassium for the Edema, she also has me on Fosamax-D for the bone loss Prednisone can cause.  My disease causes hypertension/highblood pressure and high cholestoral as well so she has prescribed Lipitor for the cholestoral.  The water retention (Edema) causes the heart to work harder therefore the hypertention/highblood pressure is being controlled by the Lasix and Potassium.  The other drug she prescribed is Baby Aspirin once a day to thin the blood and help with the flow so not to cause blood clots in the legs from all the edema.  I don't know, but she is covering all the bases and maybe this therapy may be worth discussing with your Doctor.  I hope this helps someone.  I wish you all the best and May you be Well Very Very Soon, God Bless You All :)