Allergy Community
Random Swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Random Swelling

In October 2007, I broke out in hives from my neck to my thighs, and my entire face swelled.  I went to the doctor and got a shot, nothing has happend until January 2008.  Randomly my lip will swell, my eyelid, sections of my ankle or elbow.  One nostril has swollen as well.  They don't all of these at the same time, just at random times.  It has even happend when I haven't eaten or drank anything.  Any suggestions/ reasons why this his happening are welcome.
I too, have been dealing with the random swelling since April 07. I have been to allergists, rhuematologists, internist, and neurologist. The docs keep referring to the swelling as angioedema ~ google it. I've had swollen eye lids, the soles of my feet will be hot to the touch and I am unable to walk from the pain, swollen finger tips, swollen nostril, my lip will look like I was punched in the face. The docs can't figure it out. Also, I have had a recent weight gain of 30lbs(Aug.125 - Dec. 155). I have chronic fatigue. I had blood work done last week, and the results are low potassium, low creatinine, and low T4 (thyroid). I am trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Be proactive ~ don't wait on the doc. Demand that they do labs, etc. Good luck to you on your search for wellness!!  
6 days ago Feb 19/08, my palms of hands started to itch, 2 days later they started to swell as well.My hands started to get better yesterday (Sunday) , BUT when the hives on my hands started to get better, my lower part of my arms stared with swollen, big itchy painful bumps. Each time one part of my body would seem to get better, the hives would jump to another part of my body. its gone from my hands, to my arms, to my waist, to my scalp, neck...and then my face, where i woke with the one side of my face so swollen that i could not open my one eye. going to see my doctor today, but wondered if anyone can help  in the meantime. Thank you very much. Just writing it down helps....:)

Margo

Was your doctor able to pinpoint the reason for the hives when you had it in Oct 2007? In case of allergies it is best to find out the cause of allergy and then try to avoid it completely. If the reason has not been isolated it would be best to go to the doctor or allergy specialist in an effort to identify what is the reason for this allergy. The doctor may also prescribe you some medication so that you can avoid the symptoms should you develop them anyhow. In the meantime, it would be best if you use some OTC anti-allergics/ anti-histamines to help you tide over the symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any queries. Also keep us posted on your health.

Good luck.
For the past 15 years I've had swellings on every part of my body, from head to toes.  Went to allergy specialist, done the test, looked at food, etc.  The trigger I found was stress, either mental or physical but didn't happen all the time.  Finally something changed.

I didn't get swellings for months.  the only  thing that changed was that I switched from an antiperspirant to a deodorant.  After that, the swellings slowely went away.  Now I don't even get the slightest of swellings.  Antiperspirant are apparently not very good for you.  They contain aluminum oxides that stop you from perspiring.  When I switched to a deodorant everything changed.  This worked for me, but may not be the cause of your allergy.  Good luck!

Mike
***@****
My husband randomly woke up last fall in the middle of the night and said his tonge was swolen? He went back to bed and woke up to it being worse and barely could swollow. He took himself to the hospital and they gave him a shot and it went down. It had happen three more times after that and went to see a allergist but of course no answers and lot of medication and a epy pen to be with him at all time????? Now it happens every couple of months sometimes sooner and for acouple of days at a time. It is his eyed lid, mouth, cheek, and throut. sometimes his hands and feet itch and it hurts to walk. It has affected our marriage becuase I feel he might just drop dead one day. Some of the pills he takes when this happens makes him very mean and tired. We thought it was stress becuase I was pregnant with out second child and was having lots of issues half way through.   Lindsay
I woke up 4 days ago with large red itchy bumps initially on my forearms. With in 5 minutes they were all over my neck, waist, scalp and my ears started to swell. I took some allergy tablets ( Chlorpheniramine) and the itching/ hives stopped within 2 hours, but my ears continued to swell. About 8 hours later they started to resume normal appearance. Later that evening i started noticing i was extremely achey (achy), ecspecially in my hips and knees. Shortly after i also noticed that i had slight swelling in my upper lip. I took some advil and allergy tabs and went to sleep. Once again i awoke the next morning with all of my upper lip very swollen and large red itchy bumps on my neck, scalp, forearms, waist and knees. I finally went to the doctor considering i could hardly talk, therefore unable to work. The doctor gave me a steroid injection called Kenalog and said the swelling should  go away within 24 hours. The swelling did go down throughout the day, but the aching continued. I started getting painful areas on my skin( palms of my hands, outsides of my knees and my tailbone). My hips ached so badly i could barely walk, but i just gave it time per doctors orders. Oce again i awoke the next morning with the same itchy "hives". My lip was no longer swollen, but my thumb was swollen and painful in the joint. Throughout the day my left ankle began to swell and hurt to the touch. As the day went on, the pain and swelling in my ankle got worse. By 7 pm i could not put pressure on my foot without causeing immense pain. I took some more advil which relieved the pain, but it still hurt. I woke this morning, no rash, ankle still slightly swollen and red, but less painful. I have absolutely no idea what's going on with my body. The Dr. says it's an allergic reaction to a medication i have been on for years. Seems a little unlikely to me. I'm a 27 yr old female. If anyone can help please let me know.
This may not help, but I have a name for the tongue swelling.  I call it clown tongue--especially when both sides of the tongue are involved.  Right now my thumb is swollen.  I think maybe I have clown thumb.
what up everybody, i have had random swellings in almost every part of my body, im 24 and have been dealing with this for the last almost 12 years. when i say every part of my body i mean, eyes, tounge, lips, hands, feet, toes, heels, knees, elbows, ankles, and so on. these swellings seem to show up more so around joints. Why? couldnt tell ya. but i have had random patches turn up behind my ears on my side and lower back. i have experienced first hand almost everything  everyone has posted except the hives. ive never had hives with it, just the swelling. and like most i too have been to all kinds of doctors, and they dont know what causes it. i have tried to link almost everything i can think of to these swellings and nothing, no common factor. when reading through what others have posted, here is what i do know. the itching around the swelling is caused by the skin being streched beyond what it should. it wont kill you its just itchy and uncomfortable believe me i understand. and yes it does hurt like hell sometimes to walk when your feet are swollen but again it wont kill you. the swellings without fail will subside within 24-48 hrs sometimes 72. what does work is benadryl. its an antihistamine and will keep the swelling down. i've noticed that if you take benadryl as soon as you can this can sometimes prevent the swelling from getting worse. an epi pen isnt a bad idea either i have also noticed that when combined with a decent dose of benadryl the swelling will about 95% of the time not get any worse and i see noticable improvement within a few hrs. some docs have told me unless you cant breath theres no point in using an epi pen. i find that with these random swellings, an epipen and the benadryl
will produce results better then just the benadryl alone. i have also been put on a mild steriod before, this did nothing to help. i have also in the past been put on a one a day allergie med, again this did nothing. in 12 years i havnt been able find a way to prevent the swellings but i honestly feel that the best way to treat them when they do happen is benadryl and epinephrine. good luck.
This is the first site I've found with similar symptoms I experienced.  In summary, here's what happened to my body:  Day 1: a.) Really bad itching on the back of hands looking really chapped; followed by b.) Lumps approx size of silver dollar under each buttocks followed by c.) hard lumps 2" wide by 4" tall on either side of the tail bone down through the inside of my buttocks followed by d.) red spots approx. the size of a U.S. dime in region where arm meets chest both sides; front and back followed by e.) large patches up to  3" by 8" of raised red skin and tops of hands swollen to the point where knuckles couldn't be seen and couldn't make a fist; also by evening, elbows are swollen and I had a sore throat.  I was prescribed and taking Prednisone and Benedryl and an epinepherine pen.  Day 2: a.) Seemed better but in the morning my nose swelled wide and went numb followed by upper lip then lower lip then chin and then throat; b.) ER room gave me an IV with Prednisone and another antihistamine followed by b.) an Epinephrine shot and 30 minutes later, 10 minutes of tremors followed by c.) red blotches/hives from the top of my head to my waist/groin area.  Day 3: a.) red blotches/hives progressing to my feet (tops swollen and itchy) and the palms of my hands look like a red balloon and continue to itch so very very bad yet I am sent home.  Day 4: a.) Wake up with a cough and having trouble breathing ER gives another antihistamine shot, Albuteraol inhaler for cough and observes the large red blotches covering my entire body and now my forehead and the back of my head have small lumps followed by b.) visit to family doctor and referal to an allergy physician who says it's not an allergy but rather an "episode" where only around 2 out of 1,000 root causes are found;  c.) Allergy Doc says stop all the other prescriptions, prescribes a different antihistamine (hydroxyzine) and tells me to keep the epipen in case of a recurrence.  Also says it's highly unlikely to be a food allergy (shell fish, etc.) since I have not had ANY allergies over the past 51 years.  Day 5: a.) Some dizziness and nausea and random numbness in hands especially the thumbs going numb, etc. followed by b.) Improvement with red blotches decreasing to only stomach and groin and a little on chest and back.  Day 6: a.) Continued improvement and stopped all prescriptions with very minor nausea and headache followed by Day 7 where all symptoms are mostly gone and I start recovery including a short walk for fresh air and thanking God that I am better!  None of the doctors I met have an idea what it was and I've eaten shrimp and crab legs so I know it's not a shell fish allergy (some docs and friends said that might be it!).  Anyone got any clues on what it could have been??
This is so weird to read other peoples symptoms and still nobody has any answers.  This morning I woke up with a stiff middle finger in my right hand and a lump on the right side of my mid back, right beside my spine.  About 3 weeks ago this all started, where my right foot was swollen and my right hand was completely swelled up.  My left hand had some finger swelling.  This went down in 24-48 hours.  Then a couple of days later my right knee became so stiff over a few hour period, it became extremely difficult to drive my manual car home from work.  It was a nightmare pushing the clutch in.  I have also had random episodes of both my bum cheeks feeling very hard at the top.  It was maybe 3 or 4 inches long on bosh sides and 2 inches across.  I woke up one morning with the entire right side of my face being completely swollen, where I couldn't even bite down properly, my jaw was shifted over to the right.  This was very scary!  And I also had a few fat lips, on my bottom lip.  I have also found benadril to be beneficial.  I have no idea of what this could be and why I sometimes get random red spots in my palms, that don't go away when i press on my skin.  I wish somebody had some answers.  
I have very similar symptoms. I randomly swell. Over the last eight years, it has happened seemingly randomly on my feet, toes, thighs, stomach, arms, hands, fingers, lips, jaw bone, butt, testicles and eyes. It won't happen for months, then I will have one to three incidents in a week. It doesn't seem rashy, but just a section (anything from a 1x1 area on the arch of my foot to a 6x10 area on the side of my stomach). It is extremely itchy, and itching only makes it grow and last longer. Sometimes it moves from one area to another.

It started in the summer of 2001 when I was 21. I've been to the doctor multiple times in the last few years. It happens completely randomly. I have tried to keep track of food/situations/anything that are triggers and can find no correlation. I will be fine for months and then it hits once or multiple times and then goes away again - all during random parts/seasons of the year. I haven't had an episode in approx 4 months and then this last week it was my right hand one day, a section on my lower bicep the next, my inner right thigh (that moved to my butt) the next two days, my left eye the next day, I got a cold the next day (but no swelling) and today half of my upper right lip.

My doctor put me on one zyrtec a day. And I've had many fewer cases over the last two years. When I forget to take the pill, I almost always swell, but even when I'm on it, it still happens occasionally. I also have a prescription for atarax/hydroxyzine (mainly to help with the itching - it doesn't seem to help the swelling go down any faster). It normally goes down in 24-48 hours, sometimes it takes 72-96. Benadryl does not seem to make a big difference - I usually just have to wait it out.

All doctors seem baffled and it really effects my life. Not fun to wake up with a huge swollen lip when you have a client meeting that day.

I really wish there were an answer for why this happens to me. I was glad to find this forum. It is comforting to know I'm not the only one.
Has anyone with the bottoms of feet, finger tip, palm of hand, facial swelling gotten a diagnosis yet?  To the person talking about "hives" there are no hives with what we experience.  It almost seems "pressure" related in some way - like a build up of something that causes the blood to fill and engorge the area.  Prior to the daily regimen of Zyrtec it would be nearly impossible to walk.

I'm going to an endocrinologist this week to see if they can shed some light on it because, after 12 years, the daily regimen isn't working anymore.  I've been to several allergists and they don't have a clue.  

I think it would be great for people to post their "tried and true" to the avenues they've explored.
Finally, I thought I was the only one. The random swelling symptons you guys describe are what Ive had for years. Im now 26 and they probably started around 15 or 16 years old. Ive had what feels like gallons of blood taken and tested but never any answers. Ive tried Allegra, Zyrtec and Benadryl and more. Nothing really seems to work. The swelling actually stopped for about a year and a half and I thought i finally grew out of it. But I had recent hernia operation and while recovering out of no where the bottom of my foot started to swell again. now over the past month Its happen 3 times and I woke up this morning and half of my bottom lip is swollen. I wish I could be given some answers :-(
I have been dealing with almost every symptom mentioned here (except for the swollen tongue) for about 4 - 5 yrs.  Usually it starts out as an itchy spot anywhere on my body and develops into swelling or hives.  If its on a large area of skin like my arms or chest/stomach, it is hives or big red patches that are unrelentingly itchy.  If its on smaller, more intricate areas like hands, feet, or face, it swells and is itchy, but no apparent redness.  My doctor doesn't know what it is for sure. She mentioned the angioedema thing and she did blood work for thyroid problems and such which came back normal.  One thing I might mention is that I smoked cigarettes for about 15 years, and when I quit cold turkey in July 2009, the swelling completely disappeared for a couple of months, but slowly started up again recently. I noticed one day when I was burning a lot of leaves, the next day I was badly swollen. So one would think, smoke allergy or irritation, right? Well I wish it were that simple; sometimes it happens when I haven't been around any smoke. It might also be worth mentioning that when I was younger, maybe 7 or 8, I would occasionally wake up with one of my eyes swollen shut. Then I didn't have any problems for years and one day it showed up again, 4 or 5 years ago. Anyhow, just wanted to throw in my two cents.
Doctors rarely look into synthetic allergies! And I don't know if that is your case. But I do know that my allergy to synthetics like polyester etc... cause swelling and inflamtion.
And polyester is bad for that. Even all cotton clothing has polyester in the threads! Ususally 50 %. And the tighter to the skin it is the worse the reaction!
Thus the weight of the shirt on your shoulders would cause a reaction in that area. Also around the waist "more if you don't wear underwear or tuck in your shirt. My case is a bit different for I have nervous dermatitis. And the allergen stirs my nerves up causing cracking and swelling. Also other thing when contact is prolonged or greater. Nausea being one.
HI...

Im Mahesha and im 22 years old.I had the same problem from years. And still i couldnt find a cure for it. I showed to doctors. but no one could identify the disease. I think its something to do with nerves. because its floating all over the body. And for me only right hand side, the side i mostly use. i took blood reports as well. but no major issues. if anyone find out a solution or advice from a doctor, please share it with us. And i got one solution from a doctor, but im not sure whether its working.

he asked me to stop oily foods and acid drinks like coca cola. And also cooked tomatoes, sauce......etc.
what he telling is basically i have oil in my kidney. so because of that its mixing to the blood and when some place on body got tide (nerves), its blocking there and getting the swelling. anyway still im not sure. any ideas ???

Thanks,
Best Regards    
Hello...I am 29 years old and have also been having this "random" swelling.  I have been to the doctor many times and at first was treated for an allergic reaction.  I then found a doctor that called it angio adema....which is random swelling caused by an auto amune disorder.  Benedryl does not help...the only thing that seems to make it better is steroids....when given these I don't have swelling during the time I am taking them within 24 hours after stopping the swelling begins again.  I have not had hives...it is just nodules on the surface affecting my finger tips, hands, elbows, knees, ankles, bottom of feet, heal, throat, tongue (only one side at a time) bottom, face, eyes (one side only) lips (top l or top right-bottom l or bottom r-never all at once) I have wondered if my trigger was not stress related...although that does not give the answer of what is causing it.  The only advice I was given was to see an internal medicine doctor and have extensive blood work done...again the is angio adema an auto immune disorder.
i have never had hives before but My sister had them when we were young. and mother thought it was from some rock candy .. but we were going on a trip and I think it was stress..  but now I have them and I beleive its stress .. was taking vicaden and belive it too.. not use to it or I got a builde up from .. the other thing I think it could be mites.. when I first moved into this apartment there were spiders I sprayed the window where they were coming in and so I think I will do it again.
I'm 34 and this random swelling began about a month ago. After reading all this I'm both intrigued and nervous. I have a feeling mine is stress related and perhaps related to kidneys, but I'm not sure. My doctor put me on prednisone and the symptoms almost vanished within hours, however as I taper off this medication the symptoms come back. I'm glad I'm not alone here.
i am 41 female and have had these symp for years as well. My hands swell after waking in night with itchy hands and scraching for hrs. I wake with swollen hands. I also get rash/hives all over. Seems to be after eatting soy sauce/oil sauce/soybean. Thoght it was mushrooms but i can still eat them. Think it is sodium and nerves. i get hives from cold/hot exremes. Walking in cold/outdoors/bath/water heat/stress. I once woke with swollen face and eyes and lips ears....docs say it is histimine released by skin irritant/scracing. When I take over counter allergy lorradine 10mg. this is the best quick fixand nondros.
I have had bouts of facial swelling for over 40 years. I had many tests done but no results. When I start getting facial or llip swelling I take 3 or 4 Roll Aids. The swelling goes down with in a few mins. I stay away from asprin and Advil products as these seem to trigger an out break. I only use Tylonal for pain.
Sounds like a broken record but I too have had random swellings/hives throughout different areas of my body. I am a 48 years old in good health, I have been a body builder since the age of 15.  It started about 3 years ago when I woke up with the bottom lip pretty swollen.  This happened several times and sometimes included my eye.  Needless to say it is a pretty scary sight when you wake up and your lip is triples it's normal size.  Each time the swelling went down within several hours without treatment.  Several months following the first incident I'd get itchy patches throughout my body: arms,hands, tops of feet, thighs, buttocks, testicles (yikes!).  It seems to happen in the middle of the night and wakes me.  Sometimes I will take benadryl and that seems to help especially with the facial swelling.  I haven't seen a doctor because all that I have read leads me to believe that even the allergists have no clue! I feel that as long as my life is not in danger I refuse to submit to numerous tests and not get a clear answer! I originally thought it was oils/spices because i had an episode after eating at a Carrabas but that doesn't make sense as I am Spanish and have eaten this way my entire life.  I was mulching the other day and had an episode.  Working out in the yard seems to trigger sometimes but sometimes it does not.  And why does the swelling only happen at night???? Why can't an allergist answer that!  I wish I had an answer but I don't and that seems to be pretty common as it is disheartening.  Good luck to all! It does help to hear everyones story as I feel I am not alone.  
I have swollen clown hands , itchy out of control , hives itchy scalp burning feet and the latest is swelling lips . I have been to the Emergency 3 times now ... I have never been allergic to anything . 1st Visit . Doc gave me predistone and told me to take benadryl ... two days no sleep because itching was so bad and started getting badly swollen bottom lip  2nd Visit - New Doc gave me epherine and took blood , tested OK , and gave me Benedryl via IV ... kept me to observe hands started to swell again slightly so after 3 hrs , they went thru the same routine .. and settle down enough to send me home .. told me to come back if problem continous ... that night , new symptom swollen top lip as well as bottom .. itchy has have calmed down somewhat 3rd Visit - Another ephiferen and the gave the steriod via iv .. calmed things down after 4 hr wait and was sent home ....again as I write it's night time and the hands are tingly and feel the top lip stiffing up ... it's almost a week since this has happened ... they said they are going to try to fast track me to get checked by an allergist ... all the Dr's have no clue and I fear the the allergist will do the same . I haven't had any eye or nostril or facials swellings as of yet and thankful for that ...  Really hoping to get some answers and at least hope .
So .. went thru the whole drill ... Doctors , Allergist ... still no solution or cause . They couldn't find anything that I am allergic to and as soon as my Pendistone ran out ... return
of the swollen red hands and bottom lip . The ridiculous itchiness has not come back ( Thankfully ) , but as a guitarist the puffy red hands can be tricky . I'd really appreciate if anyone had some advise for me . My Doctor slouched it off saying if the Allergist can't figure it out how can he . Seems to be nights and mornings that the swelling is bad and
the redness is hit and miss .  
Hello All!
i too have had this swelling, angio edema and it has been nearly seven years so far. i have had the swollen toungue, hives, face, fingers, about everything described itthe other letters. and yes, most big occurences seem to be at night.  through food diary i was able to find an allergy to monosodium glutamate - MSG. its in tons of canned foods, stocks, unfortunatly you name it! through avoidance it has been better but the one thing i have found to help is i now take one 10mg Singular per day at 5 to 6 pm. it has lessened the reactions, and when i have a problem i am more comfrotable with the severity.
when i do have a reaction i take 40mg of childrens liquid benadryl (faster acting in liquid) and 40 mg of prednisone. also, if its growing fast i take 2 - 10 mg of loratidine (melt in your mouth, placed under my tongue). the benadryl knocks the heck out of me but it works. i really feel the Singular has had a good effect on me. this is a crazy thing to have happen and i am glad to find this list for ideas!! good luck!
WOW, we all seem to be in the same boat. I to have all the symptoms as as everyone else. This started 9 days ago, I was hoping to find answers , but clearly we all are. Back to the doctors, even thought Im sure theres no reason for it. Glad to see iam not nuts!!
FYI:  go to: HAEG.org

There are, I believe, 5 or 6 different types.  They can even help you locate a doctor who specializes in it in your area.
I found this page after being baffled with random swellings. (Angioedema)I found a cure for myself—the over the counter allergy pill Zyrtec. I got the generic brand. So I'd like to add my input and hopefully it will help out others. But the symptoms may come from different sources and the relief may vary according to the individual particular physiology. I started getting random swelling when the weather got warm. I live in the NW in the Eugene Oregon area. So perhaps there is some spider/nat/bug that is really abundant this year. For myself I rule out pollen because I first got random swellings in May and then in July when the pollens are different. Another oddity: I know someone else who had the same symptoms. I don't if know there is something in the air here or if this is a very unusual coincidence. She was also cured by taking Zyrtec.

I am in good health. I usually ride a bike for a hour at a good pace about 2-3 times /wk. In the winter I telemark ski and skate ski—often on the same day-- about 3 times /wk. I eat no processed foods and use no drugs. I never had any swelling—or Angioedma-- until this year at the age of 52. I had a few bouts in May with my lips swelling and once after drinking some vodka in July—I suspect the vodka triggered the reaction--my tongue swelled up. Then in first week of Aug I was getting something everyday. I went on a bike ride and the next day my *** got swollen in the area where the seat left an imprint. It spread to my testicles and penis. But that wasn't as bad as my tongue swelling up a few days later. I had daily swelling in different places--my sides, neck, etc. Once I thought I had something in my sock. I took off my shoe and saw the ball under big toe swelled. No swelling ever lasted more than a day—usually less.

I am not paid to say Zyrtec is a wonder—honest--but my symptoms went away almost immediately once I started taking it. 9 days later I have had no problems. It does make me a little drowsy. So if your symptoms are similar to what mine were-- and if you are in the Pacific NW during warm weather try out Zyrtec (Ceririzine Hydrochloride) before you waste money on a doctor who might not know much about the cause of your Angioedema anyway. In reading about this I did discover that any swollen lymph glands may be a indication of a more serious lymph-node problem. If you have any swollen lymph nodes go to a doctor.
I have had the same thing happening to me since I was about 9...I am now 37.  I have found that my swellings seem to get worse whenever I am under physical or emotional stress.  I am especially bad right now because I am just getting over strep-throat and that dropped my body hard.  I do not think that I have had a single external surface of my body that has not had this swelling, and the thing that baffles the doctors is there is no fluid, but it is hot to the touch.  I think the longest stretch without incident has been a year, and then it came back with a vengence.  My biggest worry is if this ever inernalizes in a major organ.  I do not even want to get into the number of jokes that have been cracked about my swollen lips (especially when it is the top one.).
same things happen to me...
has anyone been prescribed Hydroxyzine? if so, does it work for you? i'm not sure that it does anything for me but knock me out. also, reactine doesn't seem to work...nothing does :(
Same problem here!  Just lips and fingers (so far)!  Since the general consensus is that doctors don't have a clue, I was doing some thinking.  The only allergy I have ever had is to Penicillin and certain molds.  Not the typical air type mold like seasonal mold in the air, but bread mold and the such.  My theory is that I have mold somewhere in my house and as the night goes on I am ingesting the spores and having the reaction.  This is different than my normal reaction to mold, for instance touching it.  When I touch moldy bread I will break out in hives on my arms and back of my legs.  I think that there's not enough mold in the are to affect my skin (i.e.hives) but continually getting it in my mouth and swallow it causes the reaction over time.  I don't know, but it's my working theory.  Hope this might help some people.
I know a lot of the posts here are old, but I still feel like reaching out on here and hopefully get some light shed on what's going on...

About Me:
I'm Ollie. I'm a 29 year old Male from Texas.
I have a physical job loading airplane cargo, but I admit I don't eat very healthy.

My Story:
Two days ago I woke up with swollen hands with itchy palms. My right hand more puffy than my left.
Yesterday I woke up with the same swollen hands as well as swollen feet.
I went to my Doctor and he tells me it's weird, took blood and urine to test Kidney, Liver and Thyroid issues. Told me I will hear from him if anything comes back positive.
Today I woke up with swollen hands, feet AND upper lip is fairly swollen now as well. It's now halfway through the day, swelling isn't crazy now but is still there. Just enough to make it a pain to walk across the house. I haven't heard from my Doctor. And now as I'm typing, my hands are slightly tingling, as if they were asleep.

My Research/Thoughts:
I have researched everything from kidney, liver and Thyroid disorders/diseases, heart failure, allergies, and more. The closest for these symptoms I'm guessing would be Allergies.
I have not changed anything in my life recently. Although I have been drinking Lo-Carb Monster energy drinks more often and in greater volumes. And I have been smoking marijuana recently, which I have done off and on for roughly 10 years with no problems. I have found no research to show any relationship between my swelling and marijuana. With energy drinks, I have found little relation to swelling or reactions, at least none that match my symptoms enough to delve deeper.
Now, do I continue further research in what I have found, or move on and look for more options? I have been keeping track of what I eat/drink and use around the house. Maybe I have developed a reaction to something. Who know. I hope this helps you and I both in the quest to find wtf is wrong with us!
Having swollen hands, feet and especially the swollen lip is starting to sound like an allergic reaction. I will pick up some Benadryl and see if that helps. If it does help then I guess it was an allergic reaction to something, and I can keep a log of what I use and eat and start ruling things out while sippin' some Benadryl. ...I hope this works!
I think I am in your boat too. My symptoms include a) Swelling of the upper lip b) Small blisters which gradually grows into larger areas swollen patches in my forearms especially found at night, which grows bigger as night goes on. And in the morning nothing is seen. I am a man who have been to all conditions you name it. I live in Maldives, I went fishing once in my life . As a constructor and also worked on all weathers. Never had none. Ants bees and all types of mosquitoes bit be even before. But recently I donated blood to someone. I never had any dizziness or any thing like that even after blood donation. But there could be a vitamin or a mineral which might lack after donation. Anyhow, this happens only at night and rarely in the evenings. No pain and both wrists have swollen like one ofter the other in two days.This could be an allergy or something more than that. But I am shocked that this problem have no proper solution. However my doctor gave me some vitamin B complex saying that it could be an allergy. Well fine. Ill take that. Lets say I will change my bathing cream and other cosmetics I use. If I get a solution I will post back. As I went through I found that most of the people have similar cases like me except the fact that I have a mild case. Great swelling community. Keep up. We are the researchers now. We might be able to find a solution where most doctors find confusing. As far as I can understand there is something more or less in my body which cause this reaction. Even the temperature triggers it. Write back if any thing new.  
Hello all,

38 year Old African American Female

I would like to first say that it is nice to know that I am not alone. I have been suffering from this random swelling and itching hives for the last 5-6 years with no answers from doctors. I always keep my cabinets stocked with Benadryl. It helps but I would definitely prefer a cure. My episodes also seem to occur during the night and I believe that a lot of it is stress related. Good luck everyone and let's stay in touch!
Where to begin ? I'm a Mex American 28 yr old female. For over a year I have had all the same symptoms. Swelling/welting(huge welts) of the tongue( only one side at a time), lips, tonsils, jaw, shoulders, upper and lower arms, wrists, palms,fingers, flanks, hip area, thighs, lower butt cheeks, and feet. The feet swell up to a point where it feels like you took mini 25 cent machine superballs and put them on the bottom of my feet. It starts with a tingling sensation and then the swelling and pain begins. It's to a point where I am missing a day of work every month. I just went to the ER yesterday morning, because lips, jaw, tongue, and tonsils were swollen. The weird part this time was my chin. It didn't look swollen at all, but it felt like it was 15x bigger. That same feeling has happened to one side of my face before. I was given a solumedrol inj. And of course steroids and took some benadryl. I've been seen by my pcp, allergist, dermatologist, and rheumatologist.  All I've been told is I have a physical allergy. It was really bad when I was on birth control and when I het my periods. My next step is to see an endocrinologist. I also have an extremely low vit. D level. I had horrible bodyaches and muscle spasms which were the symptoms of the low vit. D. Since I've been taking the vit. Those symptoms have subsided. I've kept food, clothing, household product journals. And I haven't done anything different from before when I didn't have these problems. It's good to know that I'm not the only one and that I'm not going crazy, but sad to know others are going through the same with no answers. Good luck everyone. I will be posting pics of the welts/swelling soon.
Most of you are using some spice / spice packet / MSG / dressings which you are severly allergic to. Some of you who use regular medication have gotten allergic to it.

The best way is to self detect the trigger. Try eliminating one thing at a time and then reintroducing it for a day to see the spike. If you catch the spike you caught the culprit.

The hidden trigger could be in Candy you love, energy bars, some alcoholic drinks you drink, could be in anything. You are the only one to seek it out. Have your practitioner prescribe some low dose prednisone tablets for you to hold on to. Use couple of them initially then taper off by lowering the daily dose within 2 to 3 days. Combine use of any suitable OTC antihistamine will expedite recovery. Drink plenty of water to wash away the allergens ASAP
Take mild pain medicine like Ibuprofen for joint pain. Be real patient in finding this, as this ingredient is in something you like and eat occassionally. Good Luck ( Mohajir )
In a nutshell, never had allergies , 8 yrs ago prescribed antibiotic, had face swelling reaction followed by 2 yrs of bad hives. Also now, aspirin and ibuprophin will send me straight to the emergency room.  Ever since, I get the random swelling you all describe....Remember that the release of histamine in our bodies is an old cave man reaction to bugs crawling under our skin. We lost our tails but not hives/histamine reactions. For myself, I always have a problem with the change from summer to fall. Probably mold spores or the like? For a week I will have traveling swelling. Every morning I will wake up swollen somewhere, groin, cheek, lip, eyelid, tongue, soles of feet. The scary ones are waking up choking on that thing that hangs down in the back of my throat or waking up with what feels like cramps around my lungs. I breath ok, but it feels like cramps or spasms. Real weird. I think modern medicine will not "fix" this. Once whatever is in our bodies that it does not like, we will swell. Its its way of extracting at the molecular level.  Take benydryl to relieve the symptoms or sleep better but be safe and have an epi-pen at the ready for an emergency. Take prednisone with caution.    
I was reading some of the comments that were made by several people, for people with itchy skin, hives and swelling in areas they scratched you may have something called dermographism and acute uticaria. I suffered from that for years, had to take reactine for about 8years and then my itching one day just stopped and I no longer have to take anything. The reason why I was on here is that my brother has the random swelling issue, we think its diet related but have been unable to figure it out yet.
Solution Summarization:

I saw a few valid solutions in this forum that I will try:
-Switching from antiperspirant to deoderant.  
-"Doctors rarely look into synthetic allergies! And I don't know if that is your case. But I do know that my allergy to synthetics like polyester etc... cause swelling and inflamtion.   And polyester is bad for that. Even all cotton clothing has polyester in the threads! Ususally 50 %. And the tighter to the skin it is the worse the reaction!"

Just started working up northern BC, and therefore I have to wear warm polypropylene clothing (ie. tight long-johns, socks, glove linings, belle clava, neck warmer). Only hen I started wearing all these materials did my random swelling slowly start to become prominent.
This makes me wonder - Can some allergies be formed over time? Does what we wear go through our skin and accumulate in our bodies?

If this has been bugging you for a while, try finding some new clothes with different materials than you are used to. Cotton seems to be find with me, but polypropylene seems to be where my problem stems. Try some help clothes on.
I doubt it would be an immediate fix, as this swelling seems to be something that has built up in us over time. Give it a few weeks minimum ?
i had these same swelling problems for 14 years. a doctor friend recommended i get my mercury fillings removed. i figured it couldn't hurt to do it. i haven't had any swelling since (almost a year now) and i also feel like i got my life back even though i didn't realize i lost it. i feel young again, smarter, and i do not forget things anymore.

healthy 38 year old male
I am a 35 year old woman living in Central America.  I started having these random swellings about 2 to 3 months ago and have been to my doctor just recently who advised me to look up angioedema.  I have had my lips swell, but it always happens with only one side (e.g. top right lip or bottom left lip) it is never the entire lip - which according to my doctor tends to rule out allergies.  I've also had my chin swell, my right nostril, my left hand and this morning when I woke up my right eye and the right side of my tongue were very swollen.  Today my arms and legs are also very painful when I walk.  I don't know if it is hives, but I wake up almost every night with sever itching all over my body, mostly from my neck to just under my buttocks, and there are some large swellings I can feel that are similar to if you've been bitten by something.  But by morning it is gone.  My doctor has also said that it could be stress related as I am presently going through some very personal issues.  I don't know what this is, but I'm hoping to find out soon as it is beginning to affect my sleep and my day to day movements.
Angiodema?
Wow, I can't believe this...I randomly googled peculiar swellings and found these blogs. My son, 29, just this week has had 3 episodes of random swelling, to the bottom of his foot on Sunday, a rash of hives around his waist on Wednesday, and his bottom lip and part of left cheek on Thursday morning. His doctor gave him an epi pen, and is referring him to an allergist. It sounds like that route hasn't been very successful for most of you. I will post anything that may help him. If any of you out there get help, let the rest of us know.
I have random swellings in my feet and hands mainly but have moved to wrist and arms. I have Hives daily on top of all of this.

It all started 7 years ago when I turned 20. My hands would be swollen one day then my feet and back and forth. Then one day I broke out in hives all over my legs. I went to the doctor he gave me some benadryl told me to to it again if it happened again. Then every other day I would take benadryl because I was breaking out in hives. I went back to the doctor he prescribed me zyrtec and told me to take that daily.

Well 7 years later zyrtec is now OTC and I have been taken it every day so that I won't break out in hives. If I missed a dose the hives would start. Now I have turned 27 and the swelling is back. It is different this time. It can be my whole hand or hands or feet. But where ever it is it is very painful now. Sometimes I don't know how I can put up with it. I am breaking out in hives in places I have never before.

I went to the doctor and have been checked for who knows how many allergies and it all comes back as I am not allergic to anything. I am being sent to different specialist now. I hope that somone will find the answers. So far no other test have come back abnormal. I just wish they could figure out why.  
Same symptons for about 30 months (including three emergancy room visits), Stumbled on an article about SORBITOL. checked my toothpaste and the first ingreadiant is SORBITOL cut out the SORBITOL and the swelling episodes have stopped.
SORBITOL is an ingrediant in many food Items and even in the hair gell i was using.
Hope this helps some one else.
I'm a 30 yr. old woman.  6 months ago I started having sever chest pain and, after numerous tests, scopes, ets., nothing panned out.  I was put on an acid reducer.  25 days after starting the acid reducer, I started experiencing my lip selling.  My Dr. changed the medication and  I was fine.  Until 30 days later when the swollen lips started again.  I was taken off the medication.  

Soon after, I started getting hives all over my body.  My swelling seemed to move to any place on my body that had ever had a trauma (scars, tatoo, chicken pox scars, etc.).  My Dr. started me on 60mg of prendisone daily.

The next morning I awoke to 2 swollen eyes, a puffy face and hives from my scalp down to my feet.  No hives on the palms of hands or soles of feet.
  I saw a dr. at PrimaCare and was given a steroid shot and told to continue the oral steroids perscribed.  Over the next 3 weeks I suffered from steroid psychosis. I was out on medical leave for 2 of the 3 weeks.
  3 weeks passed with no hives or swelling; but as soon as the steroids were out of my system the symptoms returned.  
  My allergist has sent me for blood work just about every 2 weeks since.  To no avail.  Everything ocmes back normal.
  My chest pain has seemed to stop; but I'm still facing the other challenges daily.
  I take a zyrtec and zantac each morning and a allergra and draxapan (sp?) each night.  I don't want ot know what would happen if I wasn't taking them.
  This past week my blood test finally came back with something to follow up on:  h. pylori.  This is a stomach bacteria and I was actually tested for this back in Nov. when the chest pain started.  I am now taking a Prev pack 2X daily for 2 weeks to kill the bacteria.  
  Unfortunaly, the swelling and hives have not subsided.
  I have a skin biopsy Tuesday to make certain the hives are indeed hives.
  I'm scared that i have an autoimunne disease because there has been no solution. As I type my left eye has reduced it's swelling; but my right eye has started and so has the upper quadrent of my top lip.
  It scares me that no one here has had an answer either.  I hope we can find an answer.

Thought I would add my 2 cents:

35 year old male.  Been dealing with this for 2-3 years.  First it only happened if i hurt myself on hands or legs or feet. Instead of a bruise I would get migrating OVERswelling, from the point of injury slowly in the direction of my main body.  Sometimes it would move 360 degrees around my arm during a 4-8 hr period. I treated it with Benadryl until it got to the point where I was taking so many i couldnt stay alert.  Then, i switched Health Insurance, and the new underwriters self diagnosed me based on my medical records, and they dropped me.  Great, now I am un-insured.

I finally saved up enough cash to go to a specialist, and without having a lot more money for allery testing,  she just gave me an epi-pin and script for Allegra.  Taken daily, allegra prevents all swellings.

Now its a year and a half later, and if I skip a pill,  I can get swelling and issues just from lightly scratching an itch, or bumping into something.   I am afraid this issue is getting worse, and I fear that one day the allegra is going to stop working, and I do not know what I will do....

I am glad that allegra is now over the counter, but it seems really weird that I have to have antihistamines in my blood 24/hrs a day or I am a marshmellow man.
Some hope?  Very kind of you all to share this information.  Here is what I have observed over 30+ years with these issues:

1. My first lip swelling occurred more than 30 years ago when I was exposed to some gasoline.

2. I have a 50 yr history of food and environmental allergies.

3. My family has a history of Celiac disease (genetic allergy to gluten), “there are as many symptoms as there are patients”. So far, I have not been diagnosed with the disease, but have the recessive marker.

4. About 10 years ago my lip would swell regionally (upper left, lower right, etc.). After carful exposure tracking I linked it to palm oil (aka: palm kernel oil, coconut oil). The product is used increasingly in food today.  18 months ago I was exposed to a large dose (I think from a salad dressing at a catered work event). That night I woke up to a swollen tongue and cheek. Next morning I could not talk – headed to the ER and got the treatment(s) noted above (Note, I had a very bad experience with solumedrol).  Reaction characteristics to palm oil are that I get a tingling sensation at the point where the swelling is about to occur and my lip swells quickly thereafter. The reaction time is very odd in that I have traced it to 24 hours following the exposure.  My allergist said that was highly unlikely, but I have made more than 50 such observation. The allergist could not locate a test solution for palm oil and so could not test me. My treatment – take one each of zyrtec and zantec.  These reduce the symptoms and decrease the total reaction time.

5. I have also experienced severe burning itch of the palms, groin and ball of the foot, most often followed by localized swelling that will persist for roughly 24 hours. I have traced these events pretty well to the bath soaps I used over the last 4 or 5 years: Ivory bar soap (palm oil); Dr. Bonner’s (palm oil); Kirk’s Castel (palm oil). I have been using liquid pump soap and find that after prolonged exposure the regional itching returns. I change the soap and the itching goes away. The two current soaps do not specify palm oil in the ingredients so it must be something else in the mix that I become sensitized to over time. Looking for a new bath soap. Laundry soap seems to be okay (sent free, HE All, machine set to second rinse).
This is one of the best threads I've found for this problem.  Even so it's not very encouraging.

I'm a 64 year old caucasion male that has been playing this hives and face swelling game for 10-15 years now.  The first instance resulted in a co worker remarking that it looked like I had a raw hot dog under my mustache.  Same route with doctors and allergists .... no result.  I can chug Benadryl until I literally vibrate, it does not make me sleepy, with no effect to the swelling.  For quite a while the angiodema and hives were almost a monthly occurance.  Spent extensive time trying to detect a cause.  Tried Rx and OTC antihistimines until I got a good result from Zyrtec which I now take daily.  Episodes were reduced and after trying different swelling treatments my Dr prescribed two 25mg hydroxyzine every four hours when I first noticed the tingling feeling that Hoke described.  In order to get results I increased dosage until I found a level that worked for me ... I take three pills every two hours until the rate of swelling decreases and subsides.  My Dr. was amazed at the dosage but said if it worked for me to keep on doing it.  I've now gone for months and almost years between serious swelling events.

The Zyrtec preventative and the hydroxyzine treatment have served me well for many years now .... until this week.  I noticed the signs of an onset of swelling in my left cheek on Sunday, went out to my car and got the pills and took three at 9am, I took the last three I had with me at 11am and shortly after noon left work to go home, the swelling was increasing noticeably, where I had more meds.  I took three more at 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm and at 11pm without any noticeable effect.  I thought the first two doses might have been degraded pills because of age and heat from being in the glove box but the fresh ones had little or no effect either.  

Monday morning I looked terrible and called in.  I work retail and did not wish to frighten small children or endure Planet of the Apes jokes.  Everything below my eyes and nose was swollen as badly as it had ever been before.  I fear I may be entering another round of frequent reactions and if stress is a factor I'll be adding to my stress.  Around and around we go!

I'm going to be looking at different stressors others have mentioned and will probably be adding an evening pill to my daily regimen, maybe an allegra since zantac did nothing for me in the past.

In another six months I can retire and if I have an episode I can alway hide in the house and let it run it's course but I fear that's not an option for the many other sufferers.  Too bad no one can suggest the "silver bullet" that can kill this problem.
Thank God for the internet!  
Sorry this is long but after searching so long I'm so excited to find this site!
1985 was my first episode at the age of 31. Symptoms.... pretty much everything that I've read so far but, thankfully, not as severe as some of yours.  Mine began with the hives & swollen patches some as large as dinner plates.  Progressed to the lumps on my feet, hands, & soft tissue areas, facial swelling & eventually closed my air passages.  That was the scariest part for me.  The painfull swelling  that would travel throughout the chest & lung area was the worst though.  It progressively got worse over a 2-3 month period.  Shots, Steroids, Benadryl, Prediizone, Epi-pen,etc.  Pretty much all of the same treatments.

Dr's were baffled as in all of your experiences blaming it on stress, food, none of which had changed in my life.  It wasn't until my 7 year old daughter began to experience the most severe cases of the breakouts did they delve past the standard treatments.  She didn't start slowly like I did but moved to the most painfull & serious episodes almost overnight.  Her's started approx. 2 months from my first outbreak.

After standard tests ruled out the Dr's. original diagnosis the P.A. in the office began to research unusual allergies.  Several weeks of research later he  finally found out what our trigger was.  A "RARE" allergy to birds.

That was the only thing different in our lives/home.  Something he (the P.A.)didn't know about until after he consulted with the Dr. about what he had found in his research.  We had aquired a cockatiel 8 months before my first breakout & although it didn't bother us at first it was the addition of a 2nd bird several months later that sent us over the edge.  Initially the fact that we had already had a bird, for so many months, before we began experiencing breakouts led the Dr. to believe that it wasn't the problem.  Wrong.  

We sterilized the walls, had our couches, drapes, & carpets professionally cleaned after those birds were removed.  It took about a year before we could come into the house & not feel that heaviness in our chests after we walked in.  We were both so sensitized to birds that even passing a pet store whose door was open to an indoor mall could set off the episode.  I could feel the sensation in my chest for 2-3 days before I would even breakout & there was pretty much nothing that I could do to prevent it aside from staying away from all areas where birds were present.  Unable to visit family who kept birds or even having a member who lived with a bird come to our home could trigger yet another breakout.

Appox. 3 years passed before there was a significant improvement in both of our healths.  My daughter hasn't experienced any episodes in the last 20 years although she still sometimes gets that heaviness in her chest.  -
For me, it's been better but a really windy day or just sitting under the trees could bring an epidsode on.  I noticed that as I age they are occuring more often but not as severe.
I know not all of your reactions would be due to birds.  Allergies are allergies no matter what the trigger.  But when the P.A. showed me his findings I was amazed at how dangerous bird feathers, their mites, feces, the allergens, & diseases that they carry can be to people with bird allergies & just allergies in general.  

I am excited to try some of the current meds that some of you have found that work well for you.  I also am surprised to learn of the aspirin/advil trigger.  I've used those products during some of my outbreaks & may be aggravating the situation.

Good luck to you all!   I have never found anyone else who has had the same allergy as my daughter & me.  There may be some of you out there in this forum.  Be well.
i have had swellings all over my face my shoulder behind my ear and my nose. Also one day i woke up with a face the size of a small watermelon so my mom took me in to a allergist and got some blood taken for tests and the test showed that i was diagnosed with gluten and egg intolerence and since then i haven't had a major swelling at all just a few minor ones. Also he put me on some imuplex and C vitamines. and i doing well.!!!!!!
This thread just keeps growing. I started experience random swelling in my fingers, eyelid, lip, and even penis! (which is what finally prompted my search)

Mine could possible be stress related as i am currently diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder, and Severe Depression, and I am taking Klonopin.
It could be a drug allergy, or stress. Not sure, but just wanted to post here, since I found it and read all the other posts.
I have been suffering from regular swellings for the past 10 years. I am 22. Here's what ive noticed -
Swellings occur on the wrist,palm, fingers, lips, nostril, scalp, shoulder, neck, around the tail bone, scrotum, knees. It may occur at all places at once or only a few places.
Theyre always painful when pressure is applied over them.
Itchy and at times extremely itchy.
Takes about 24 hours to subside without medications and about 4 hours with medications. The lip swellings usually take more than 24 hours eitherway.

I have consulted numerous doctors and tried out various medications (allopathy and homeopathy). They all worked only temporarily. I take Allegra 120 for quick relief.

Ive tried to see if there is a pattern that occurs but its absolutely random. I have learnt to live with the pain and itchiness but the mental effects of it, especially when i have the swellings on my lips and have to meet someone or be present at office is something im still trying to cope with. Hope all of you get well soon.
Itchy and at times extremely itchy.

I am a 57 year old male and have never been allergic to anything other than penicillin as a child.  About a month ago, I started to have serious itching in the scrotum area that would come and go for no apparent reason.  About a week ago, I started getting random hives on my  one or the others side of my waist--I thought it was insect bites.  A few days later, I would get random itching breaking out in strange areas--the sides of my little fingers on both hands, my back upper thighs, my forearms...it seemed to move around.  Two days ago, my upper lip began to swell from out of nowhere--and this morning, it is my lower lip which was preceded by itching palms.  Benadryl calms it down after a while, but considering I have not changed much of anything I do, this is all a bit weird to me.  But misery loves company, and it looks like I have found a new group of friends.  There is obviously something going on for this many people to have the same symptoms, but it also seems nobody really has a clue.
For the past 3 weeks i've had random bouts of swelling on either one side of my top and bottom lip, even the middle of my lip. This seems to happen just after i have woken up in the morning then i feel the tingling, itchy sensation before the swelling. I had hives once about 2 weeks ago and a couple bouts of heartburn since. I was 12 the last time i had these same symptoms and i recall it happening 2 or 3 times, i'm now 37. I have no idea what triggered this so i guess i'll be off to the doctor! I'm going to eliminate certain foods and see if any of these are the causes?

Andrea, Darwin NT, Australia
Wow, what relief to know that I'm not the only one!

Random swelling of my face (usually lips) used to be a problem for me in my mid-twenties...and it continued for awhile and the ONLY allergy medication that worked for me was Reactine (Zyrtec in the U.S.).  I had allergy testing done, but nothing showed up.  I think it recurred over about 2 years, and then stopped suddenly.  No reason why.

This past summer it has returned, and this time I've really noticed that it's been accompanied by itchy hives.  I have no idea what caused it to return, but I'm glad that Reactine still works.
I am a 39 yr old female. My problem is not quite like what is posted. I have suffered all my life with a sensitivity to cold. Usually caused hives and swelling to whatever part of my body that was exposed to the cold. As I got older I noticed my sensitvity is getting worse. Just this week I noticed whenever I drink something cold (does not have to have ice) my esophagus swells. It is a very scary feeling. Hurts when I swallow due to the swelling. Also noticed that washing my hands in cold water makes them swell and itch. I was stung twice this summer and had a bad reaction both times. Never had a reaction before. Actually made the lymph nodes on the side of my body where the sting was swell. Don't know if the two are related. Have a Dr appt on mon. Hopefully will find some answers. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Will try to post what the Dr says. Good luck to everyone out there.
OMG I have been having these types of symptoms for around two years now. When I first mentioned it to my doctor his initial response was "What do you want me to do about it?"  Really!!  I too find that there is no pattern, that I can go weeks sometimes with nothing then suddenly everything goes haywire and various swellings appear one after the other.  The most disturbing (initially anyway) was when my tongue swelled, only on the one side and within my mouth, as of course was worried about being able to breath.  In fact one time my son got so panicked at this thought he got a taxi to take me to hospital, I agreed to go as I thought that someone might know what was going on.  Turns out they didn't, the Registrar I saw was convinced it was an allergic reaction to my BP medication - hardly as had taken it at least 12 hours before the swelling began.  However my blood pressure was actually through the roof so she stuck a saline drip in one arm and then added antihistamine and cortisone.  To be honest the swelling took the usual 1 - 14 hours to subside so was not very confident that she was anywhere near the mark.  I fact common sense told me it could have nothing to do with any of my medications as the timing was all wrong.  

Then after two days of various symptoms one after the other it suddenly hit me, "you are an idiot girl, use the internet".  So I did, and there you all were.  OH thank you thank you.  I now have something I can take to my doctor and say "Hey is this what causes my swellings, my itching and my huge red blotches?

Does anyone else get a swollen chin btw.  My son says it makes me look like a cross between Brucie and that Bo Selecta chappie. lol

Sounds lie something called Reynards - not sure of spelling though
Sorry my comment about Reynards was to Pegbundy
I am the same age as you with the same symptoms. I spend alot of time trying to figure out the cause.Doctors are no help. Only relief I get is from zrtec and that doesn't always work 100% with bad episodes. I was cureous how much coffee you consume? I am a big coffee drinker and am exploring the effects of it.
I have found my swelling always happens from "pressure"  It always occurs after carrying something heavy or walking in "hard" shoes.  Such as if I have a heavy backpack over one shoulder I will have a line of swelling and hives in the shape of it.  Feet and hands are often from simple things like carrying grocery bags, sitting down on hard surfaces will cause the swelling in the buttocks and groin regions.  Not everytime but often enough to make me notice.

I'll still look into some of the causes listed here, as I do bounce back and forth between deodorant and anti perspirant, and I have different types of socks and clothes...

However Fluocinonide Cream gets rid of it literally overnight in most cases, obviously that doesnt work for tongue/lip swelling but it helps a lot!

About the best I can say is to give is to try it out yourself and see if it helps.
Im a 25 yr old male, and this is the first time i've expierienced these symptoms. Mine are slightly different than most of you, I don't get the hives or the itching. My nose started swelling about 3 days ago and i just thought it was a break-out, then it started spreading down the left side of my face all the way to my throat. My throat and glands on my neck have be sore and swollen for a few days and when i woke up today my nose, face, and throat were much worse and on top of all that both my ankles were swollen so bad i could'nt walk and they were really hot to the touch. After reading all your posts im not gonna even bother going to the hospital, cuz i've never been allergic to anything and it sounds like they just take a shot in the dark as far as treatments go, im gonna get a bottle of zyrtec and hope it works. thanks to all for sharing, kinda freaked out when i woke up today but feeling a little better now.
I have had swelling issues on my feet, bum and lips on and off for the past 6 years.  I too did many of the tests and they were unable to find the issue.  What I have noticed is that whenever it take a headache tablet other than Tylenol I suffer these problems.    No sure if this helps anyone but I thought I would post it.
Same issues here, random swelling in feet, torso, wrists, lip, triceps.  Allergist put me on a heavy dose of claritan and pepcid, to control it.  Seems ok when I remember to take these regularly.  If I forget, bam something swells and I either have to wait a few days or take prednisone to get rid of it.
Have the same symptoms. So far I have not been using any medicine. Recently I found this forum and read that Zyrtec and other pills are helping to some people. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that my lower lip is starting to swell. Went to check out if I have any Zyrtec. I didn´t find any, but I found Zodac which is "almost" the same. I took one and the swelling stopped. Went to sleep and in the morning everything was OK. I´m starting to believe that Zodac helps :-D
oh WOW!!
I have where my neck feels like someone squeezing it (4 yrs ago / allergic to drugstore HAIR COLOR) and NOW, something in my neck's tight, and I haven't been able to swallow... eating baby bites / 1/3 of my normal food / drink, lost 15+ lbs... Turns out it's an allergy to the CEDAR MULCH I put out back!!  
Narrowed it down, after a pharmacist told me allergies causing swollen neck (etc.?) are due to various chemicals, whereas hayfever causes runny nose / eyes...  So keep investigating!  
I'm not healed yet; does anyone know how long before the allergic reaction goes away??
THX!
My son is 15 years old.  He started with hives in  June while he was away at a water fun park. He was put on staroids and allergy meds.  Nothing seems to keep it away.  After reading everyones posts I have come to relizes that maybe this wasn't the start to all of this.  He was having trouble breathing at football practice at the begining of the school year so I brought him to the doctors but they didn't finding any asthma or anything. They did an EKG to make sure there were no issues.  Next he started having indigestion and they put him on a heart burn med. Then soon after he started the hives.  I have been to his pediateric a dozen times for the hives and he has been to an allergist several time who instists that it is not an allergic reaction and will not test him for anything.  He insisists that it's an auto immune issue and that it needs to take it's course.  That he needs to keep taking allergy meds and it will eventually go away.  Last night his top lip swelled up and he got hives around his waist and around his arm pits.  I gave him all kinds of meds and the hives did better but nothing really took the swelling down of his lip.  Tonight it seems to be going away.  Again, as I was reading your posts I relized his eye swelled up a few weeks ago for no reason about a month ago his fingure was swollen.  For a Mom this is insane.  Why can't I find a doctor that will take care of this problem.  They are insisting that there is nothing we can do.  My poor son feels like there is something terribly wrong with them and no one will help him.  I just don't know what else to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had the same swelling in lips, eyes, hives, hands,knees,ankles,feet, toes, tongue, and this morning my forehead.  I haven't been to the Dr But this started again after I had my second child. I haven't done this in years! I thought it maybe caused by having surgery? Who knows but I have had different break outs for two weeks all in different places. Good luck to all in finding out what causes this!
I have been swelling up in random places over the last 7 month, soles of feet, foot,hand,penis,cheek and top lip. Dr has'nt a clue, getting blood tests done 2morro(24/11/2011) can't see that helping in anyway but what is interesting is an earlier post blaming birds, well i've recently had an interest in bird photography(can't rule it out)?
Also before the swelling I had what looked like bites on the bottom of my leg(only 1or 2 bite marks)these were very itchy and took months to heal. I think I got the bites while sitting at the edge of a bowling green(could be some kind of chemical used in the grass)?.
this is crazy the first post was posted in 2008 and here i am december 3 2011 and still along with every one else not quite sure why this is happening.. all i know you have to try an allergist i went to a pretty good one recently ive had this for about 2 years now im 17. and at the allergist i found out im only allergic to one thing. CATS> What the ****.. you know sorry for my language. haha.. but thats it and i found out i have mild asthma also.but after finding out im allergic to cats everytime it has happened the night before there was a cat. its crazy stuff guys i go back to my allergist in about a week or two i think and im going to show him this site and hope we all can get this figured out.
Had all your symptoms. Cut a long story short eventually went to a Momeopath and was told to stay away from Wheat and MSG and yeast. What a difference. Normally very strict. Had hives, runny tummy for months on end, swelling, painful joint and backm., asthma and sinus. Eating correctly sorted out much of the problem. Never showed up in blood tests.
I have had the all the same symptoms as well for about 4 years now. The hives, all over my body. Swelling of my face parts of my lip. I also on some occasions have issues at night where I will wake up and have a hard time breathing and have itchy body.

I have been doing research for years.  I happen to believe it is a thyroid issue or some type of bug bite that occurred years ago but is still effecting me. I take a Thyroid med everyday. The Doc seems to disagree and won't allow me to come off of it. I take Zyrtec daily and it seems to help with the hives and the swelling.

It first occurred one evening after I was outside with my children. I came in and the bottom of my arms started to swell. Eventually I had hives all over my body...and this happens daily, I found Zyrtec will stop the hives and swelling. I'm really upset this has been happening and Doctors/ Allergists have no clue.... Anyone else have a Thyroid issue ?? Maybe have your Thyroid checked...this seemed to occur after a few months of being on a Thyroid med..
I have had this problem over ten years, usually my feet swell,sometimes my hands, once my scrotum to the size of a softball. I have logged: my diet, activities, wherabouts, you name it. I have had blood panels done only to show that I have edema at the time of the blood work, (no S---).I finally gave up. It usually goes away in about 24 hours or so; so I have come to live with it. It seems to be more of a nuisance then anything else except for the pain while walking when my feet are swollen. I have notice it occurs sometimes when I am ill or not feeling well but not always. Sometimes when I'm under stress but not always. This only happens to me about every 6 months or so on average, sometimes less sometimes more. I hate to tell everybody this, but I feel my doctor and I have really tried to isolate this and it was fruitless. Which is why I have given up and just learned to live with it. Depending on the severity of the swelling in my feet it can be very painful to walk and can effect my work for a day sometimes.
Hi everyone, I've had andigeodma with utercarial vasculitis for over 9 yrs now. Well this is what doctors have said, as I really don't think they know what's wrong with me :( I've had every symptom u all discibe, swollen face, lips, chin, feet , hands, tongue throat( where take epi pen) waist, but swellings on my body are hot to touch and so painful and red, feel itchy at times but can't touch as too sore. Last tablet was plaqunil which is an anti malaria tablet. But it actually worked as outbreaks where not as consisted. But I'm here crying and depressed as I'm destroyed all over with serve swelling and pain, I stopped taking tablets as my husband and I want to get pregnant and plaqunil needs to be out of your system before u consider conceiving as many side effects to baby.. So I'm back to square one, so depressed :(
i know this is old but i've been having the same problem for two years .
when it first started i went to the hospital because it was all over my body. (its burns really bad at first then if i scratch it , it starts to swell up like welps all over . i've gotten on my neck, stomach, chest, eyelids , arms , butt , etc . its painful and keeps me from sleeping ) any how the same week i was emitted into the hospital for a ruptured cyst in my ovaries . i was giving shots , etc for what they thought was "allergic reactions" i didnt have a problem with the reactions for a long time then it started coming back ALL the time and now i have these outbreaks almost everyday and i've tried to deal with it without taking benadryll because its the only thing that stops it for awhile and helps me sleep and i dont want to depend on medicine
I wonder if it is a wheat allergy. I always thought that was just a new agey thing (wheat allergies) that affected upper middle class hippies, but turns out that modern day wheat is actually toxic. It's supposed to cause dementia and all sorts of illnesses. Try cutting it out completely for a couple of weeks or so and see what happens.
I had swelling on various parts of my body, mostly bottom of feet but also hands and arms.   Diagosis:   ANGIO EDEMA.   I had to diagnose it myself and then went to an allergist and he confirmed it.   No treatment worked, but it went away on its own.  I had it for probably 1 1/2 years.
I know this happen to you in 2008 but I just found this web page and have the same symptoms and was wondering if you ever found out what it was. I have hives almost every day and swelling on my face randomly and take Benadril every day for the hives but the swelling takes longer to go away and I'm a slave to my house when this happens. Did you ever find out what the cause was? Any help would be appreciated

camor0004155
This is crazy. The same thing is happening to my mom. Prednisone and benadryl seems to help. I have a feeling that a lot of this might have to do with GM crops, or some sort of allergic reaction. Angiodema and hives combined especially leads me to believe that it might be something to do with regular consumption. Also, I think this is also common with people with autoimmune diseases. My mom has severe psoriasis and the angiodema recently developed once she came off Soriantane and Simvastatin.

Wish you all the best.

Woww everything from this thread just sounds all too familiar all the symptoms, hives, swelling you name Ive experienced it all. Started many years ago for me when i was in my late teens into my early twenties. Although when i first started experiencing these hive breakouts and swelling followed by unbeleivable shivers I noticed it always happened when my body was exposed to sudden temperature change..for example it all started one day at the beach ( I live in California) I though initially maybe i was allergic to the ocean, salt seaweed wasnt sure but it would happen about ten min or so of being in the water than as soon as id come out under 90 degree weather id have a good 5-7 min shiver session... well then I started noticing while playing Tennis in gym class instead of perspiring I would turn blotchy and red not one bead of sweat, followed by the same symptons...same when id walk out of the house on a very cold or rainy day all bundled up in a coat and scarf wouldnt even make it to my car with out taking it all of cuz I would feel my skin starting to tense up and swell.....

Doctors could not tell me what was wrong cuz by the time id go see one everything was already cleared no rash or swelling....I went from being 138 lbs at age 19-20 to 218 lbs at the age of 25. 80 lbs I had gained well one hot summer day in june after drinking a red bull I started to sweat doing absolutly nothing just running erronds around town, and let me tell you after that day something must have change in my body because once i started to perspire like a normal person it wouldnt stop like my body was on overtime to let it all out. In just a few short months I lost about 35 lbs and noticed that I was no longer having these swelling episodes so it just went away....Im now 33 and have maintaned my weight at 155 lbs and try to stay as active as possible to avoid what used to happen...

well I found myself on google looking up symptoms because just recently I started with swelling, hives and itchiness but just blotchy different parts of my body evrytime different area, chest pains sometimes,or my palms super itchy under my feet sometimes feels like it turns into a very hard tissue and i can hardly walk on it and then i got the half lip swelling sometimes one side, sometimes just the top lip would just wake up with numb feet numb hand shoulders in pain....i wasnt sure if it was being caused from maybe stress things have been a bit crazy with work and home, family so I thought Id do the research and this is how I came across this...Actually this morning I woke up from chest pains (every now and then I get them, so I just always have baby chewable aspirins on hand, after chewing 1-2 the pressure and pain goes away almost instantly) about an hour later the Angelina Jolie upper lip was in full effect and now my throat is a bit swollen....I usually take allegra when I start to feel the itchiness coming on or benadryl...

Im gonna schedule an appointment to have blood work done...many years ago i was diagnosed with what turned out to be arthiritus and not tendinitus but doctor had said that it was very mild and as long as I didnt do repetative motions it wouldnt aggrivate it and it would not bother me which for many years I had no complaints but im just wondering now if any of all this ties in together....

Sorry all didnt mean to write a novel but I surely did enjoy reading everyones experiences, situations and symptoms cuz it all sounds like I had some of your symptoms at some point over the last 17 yrs.
Would like to echo the sense of relief that I'm not the only person in the world suffering from this weird illness. As everyone has said, all the doctors I have been examined by have expressed a sense of bewilderment and put the cause down to angio edema, this is just to make them look smart, translated it just means more or less skin swelling.

I too seem to have random outbreaks of this, I would say I am more susceptible to it when my body is already in a run down state, recently I had a bad cold and woke up one morning looking like the Elephant man and having difficulty breathing. The most common symptom I have is swollen lips but have experienced it over most of my body. The thing I can relate it to most is gout, I have had this a few times and the sensations are similar. This is just my theory, but I think the catalyst for the illness is a combination of factors, run down, the presence of certain chemicals in your body as a result of your diet, stress levels etc.

Hopefully someone will come up with a cure one day.

Thank You.
I'm up at 5:00 am searching for answers to random swellings as well.  Mine started about 10 years ago with hives and swelling in my throat.  I felt like I was suffocating.  Since that time swelling with and hives on legs, bottom of feet, finger tips and arms only when exposed to very cold temperatures.  Alternating swelling occurs on upper or lower lip, either cheek, chin, and forehead with no triggers whatsoever that I have observed.  it starts with tingling progresses from a small bump to a huge nodule that looks like it will pop!  Usually completely goes down within 12 - 24 hours.  This remiains a mystery to me.  I have begun taking pictures so  I can show my doc on my next visit.
What if anything did you end up finding out? My situation is similar....thx
My symptoms started the beginning of this year. It started with my lips,but it has happened to my tongue,fingers,and bottom of my foot. It was recommended that I go to an allergist by the emergency hospital Dr's. I had tests done and X-rays........nothing was wrong.I'm now on a 24hr allergy medicine that reduced the episodes,but they still happen.I also have prescription prednisone for emergencies.

I really want to know what's going on!
Do not dismiss any swelling of the face, mouth, throat as nothing to worry about and seek emergency medical treatment immediately. Subsequent exposure to the allergen will produce increasingly severe reactions and swelling in this area can close off the airway without warning. For you this is even more risky since you don't know what is causing the reaction.
Hey everybody i have read through all the comments and i too have experienced most of these symptoms. What i have noticed with me is that i am allergic to seafood or shellfish but only when i am stressed. The more stressed i am the worse i get with my face swollen and hives on my forearms and the back of my neck as well as partially across my stomach. Ive been to doctors and they couldnt figure it out as well, but this seems to be my cause of my breakouts. As far as any kind of remedy all i really do is down some benedryl and stay completly cool(taking a cool cold shower helps) to also keep the swelling down especially if you get it all over your body. Hope this aids any and all in the fight against this!
I have read all the comments on this forum and an amazed at the many variations of this mystery ailment. Mine started a week ago when suddenly before going to bed I felt a tightness in my throat and couldn't talk (hoarse). A couple of days later I woke up with itchy blotches on my body that became raised welts. The next day I started experiencing the facial swelling that many of you describe. However, there is NO PAIN, and most of the symptoms go away in a couple of hours, but return just before bedtime! I am 69,  a healthy female and have NEVER HAD ALLERGIES TO ANYTHING! I do not take medications. I do not have a family history of allergies. I was going to see a doctor, but after reading the posts wonder if it's even worth it. Have put Zyrtec on my shopping list. Hope this passes.
Judging from all of your much appreciated comments, you all have experienced the same life altering and crippling effects of this infinite problem.

Apart from an allergic reaction believed to be from sulfa in grade school, this problem of pretty much everything mentioned above began when I was fifteen. I remember feeling weird and itchy patches on my back that responded with welt-like appearance when I scratched-- it was like my pours were dilating to an extreme degree. To make a long story short, I battled the disappearance and re-emergence of the hives ranging from patches to full out all-body hives and it should be noted the reaction to pressure. I ended up missing a lot of school and when I finally got the referral to see an allergist the doctor diagnosed me with some medical jargon that basically means 'spontaneous hives'.  Genus. I'm so thankful she clarified that for me.

That diagnosis, for obvious reasons, did nothing to help me and since then the hives and swellings have reemerged in various manifestations (similar to previous descriptions) for the past 8 years, as I am now 23.

Not only is this problem, as you all know, incredibly uncomfortable but also psychologically trying, as well as embarrassing in regards to facial swelling. Although epidemiology is incredibly complex, it still amazes me how bewildered doctors are in regards to this phenomenon. I think it is important that we put more pressure on physicians and not allow--especially allergists--to elude the problem with medical jargon like "urticaria" and "angioedema"--and prescribe harmful prednisone.

I found many of your theories interesting so I decided to share some of mine. As of now, I am pretty in line with the stress+ trigger combination idea. I also have noticed recently a pattern of hives/swellings appearing after a cold which could be something. The hardest part about all of this is knowing correlation is not always causation, which is again why I believe it is a combination of things. I wonder if there is gene testing that can be done?

I would also like to point out that I have had these allergic reactions while living in Spain, Cambodia, and China so it is not a condition caused by something endemic to America (I am a Caucasian American from IL). I am currently living and teaching in China and my incidence of allergic reactions as more than tripled which leads me to believe that air quality could have something to do with it (and again, stress, as living in China is stressful for a whole shelf of reasons).

Some additional anecdotes are that I also suffer from Raynauds Phenomenon (hypersensitivity to cold, etc that causes blue or white hands. Interestingly enough, I experience no symptoms when my hands are blue but painful numbness when white). In addition, I suffer from (at times severe) restless leg syndrome, sensitive skin, and am very susceptible to coughs, earaches, and UTI's.
I also very rarely get headaches where there is a brief but incredibly intense shooting pain in one area of my brain. Most likely unrelated but I thought I would throw that in there.
As far as family history goes, my mom has fibromyalgia and was diagnosed with a rare gene affected by mold which has provided her various health issues.

Also, I am a vegetarian.

So, does anyone else have concurrent health issues? It would be interesting if there were any trends!

It is good to know we are not alone. I wish the best of luck to all of you and I hope everyone continues to watch for updates and shares any new information or diagnosis that could help others. I shall do the same. I am living in China right now and considering getting acupuncture, if it helps I will let everyone know!    
I have also suffered from random swell ups. My observations are that I sometimes get the itchy feeling, scratch it, then the swelling starts. The swelling is limited to the area that is scratched. I believe the swelling could be contained by limiting the amount of surface area scratched. Not sure what triggers the itching but the swelling seems to come from the pressure of the scratching. I also notice that if I apply pressure to an area for too long, such as folding my leg up on a chair, the highest point of pressure on the leg will swell. While at work, when I use my fingers too much, the repetitive pressure on my fingers will cause them to swell. My fingers are not itchy at the time but the area the most pressure or repeated pressure is applied is where it will swell. I have a theory about it. I had suffered some trauma to my back where my disc was bulging and my sciatic nerve was being rubbed away by the bulge. I think it may be my body swelling pain areas to prevent damage. I had suffered constant pain down my sciatic nerve for over 3 years. When I say constant, there was not a minute the pain did not exist. Now that I have had surgery, I find myself able to cope with pains that use to be unbearable. I have tooth that has rotted 3/4 away and the pain that would come with it, that wants to surface, I can suppress with ease. I think it may be possible that our bodies are trying to preserve us at a hyper rate.
I stoked that there is board about this because i was freaked out i had something wrong with me, has any found out what is going on them?

I am 29 and about 6 weeks ago before bed my foot started to go numb, but turns out it was just swelling up, by the next day by foot had swollen, i took some allergy medicine that a co-worker had and went home and iced my foot and took Advil and an antihistamine, it was better the next day but not totally, also my stomach was hurting, wasn't nausea just upset, foot and stomach last couple days and made appointment, by time symptoms went away did blood work but after they took blood called back that results were inconclusive because of low white blood cells. was fine for two weeks and then broke out very badly, foot, hip, hand, leg, hip, got in see dr and did blood work, (nothing but low white blood cells and high histamine but all looked healthy) and xray on chest thought it was valley fever, (nothing) prescribed steroid which helped, no symptoms  for the 5 days then a couple days later stomach and  swelling foot, hip, bottom. again steroid again no more and did an ultra sound all good, the day after i finished  the steroid I started swelling, foot, shoulder, lower back, shoulder, hip,

i have another appointment with a new dr, any id's about test they can run? they have said that after this next steps is allergiest.  any other things it might be? or who i might see>?i am thought it might be some blood infection because even when i go out of town i have the same symptoms. i dont want to treat the symptoms I have started a total body cleanse today but has been taking natural antihistamine (nettle) and a tbs bentonite clay before dinner past couple days but no positive results, hopefully will see positive changes,  any other ideas about herbal remedies? i have also given up alcohol and tobacco, i read to give up allot of stuff like caffeine but am working there, any other ideas about diet changes?
Hi, I just came across this board and thought I'd share my experience.  For the past two months almost, I've been dealing with a face rash and occasional swelling of my lips and eye area.  It started with what seemed like chapped/dry lips, then spread to a rash around my lips within a day.  A week or so later, a rash appeared under one eye and on the bridge of my nose.  The lip problem would start to go away and then get worse.  Then, maybe two weeks into this, I broke out in itchy welts/hives on my face and one eye started swelling underneath when the A/C at work wasn't working and it was hot in the office.  It proceeded for another two weeks to alternate between itchy hives/ swelling of one or both eyes, then that would go down, then the lips would swell and itch and then dry up and crack and peel... really uncomfortable, and the itching drove me nuts when that was going on.  I've been to my doctor, and she ran blood tests.  Everything was "normal" except slightly low white blood cell count.  She referred me to an allergist and a dermatologist.  Each has a different take on it-- derm thinks it was a fungal yeast infection in the corners of my mouth that triggered allergic rash, but the allergist thinks I'm allergic to something I touched on my face.  They tested a bunch of my body care products on me and I had an allergic reaction to jojoba oil and another oil... I've used jojoba oil for 5 years on my face every day!  They seem to think that's what caused it, but I haven't used it for a month now, pretty much (realized it was also in my shampoo, so stopped that), and today I woke up to itching/tingling swelling of my lips again!  They're a red, swollen mess again.  

So, what I've done is gone to see a holistic MD, paid out of pocket.  He spent the time to hear my whole, detailed medical history, all my symptoms, things I think could be related (other health issues like migraines I've had for ages.)  He thinks I may have low thyroid (which wouldn't show up on the regular blood test my doc did) and low adrenal function that has left me with a low immunity to things like this, and maybe hypersensitive.  He's having me do a body temperature-taking test every day to chart my body temp as a clue about whether it might be one of those hormone glands... and has suggested I go off all inflammatory foods, like dairy, caffeine, chocolate, sugar, breads/wheat, alcohol, and eat lots of fresh vegetables, especially green leafy ones (collard greens, kale, etc.) raw or lightly steamed (I also sautee them lightly in olive oil and fresh chopped garlic and salt/pepper), and add in healthy protein (I eat a little chicken, beans, stuff like quinoa, buckwheat groats).  I stopped even decaf coffee, no sugar (I read all labels of all food and ask at restaurants to make sure there's no hidden sugar.)  I also eat some fresh fruit and some raw nuts (not peanuts, just walnuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds...)  I drink only water and herbal tea.  He also suggested I do a gentle cleanse of toxins/heavy metals in the body by drinking bentonite clay in water once a day (just a teaspoon of powder or gel in a glass of water)... I take it with psyllium husks because I was getting constipated... and warm baths with the clay mixed in (it clumps, so you have to soak the powder in water til it turns to gel, and then break up clumps).  I also do some face masks or wet compresses with the bentonite.  He had other suggestions, too... I'm trying it all, including acupuncture (never did it before, but I'm doing it now!)  Some cities have "community acupuncture" clinics where it's low cost, so google it, and you might find it helps with time (I'm hoping all this helps.)  I'd recommend trying some suggestions about checking out your adrenal gland functions:  http://www.drrind.com/  and doing the temperature taking chart... this isn't my doctor, but my holistic doc is using this doctor's methods.  I'm finding my body temperature (average, taken 3 times a day) is low and fluctuates from day to day quite a bit... which sounds like it indicates slightly low thyroid and low-functioning adrenal glands... and my holistic dr. is then going to work with me on some natural ways to boost those if he finds they are low (I'm about to send him my temp results for the last couple weeks.)  His take on it, is that they are probably not functioning well-- can result from stressful periods either physically or emotionally/mentally, when you never quite recover, and your glands are left trying to catch up, and they control so many functions in your body that it can cause all kinds of symptoms.  Of course, I've done the allergy testing partly already, to figure out any triggers there, but otherwise, I want to find out WHY this started happening out of the blue!  So, I'm improving my health slowly (I was already fairly healthy, but stressed a lot, and have had a surgery this past year and several sports injuries that left me unable to exercise much...)  and hoping that will nip this in the bud with time.  I recommend finding a holistic MD or naturopathic dr. either in person or online to talk to by phone/email... in addition to a regular doc.
I have had the same conditions as discribed in the many blogs. I have been taking Singulair and Zertec for several years without a re-occurrence until this weekend.

I came down with a cold and took some asprin, bingo.....both feet and tongue swelled.

I noticed someone said asprin can cause a flair up.  could be coincidence.

Elderly doctor told me years ago, the cause of Angio Adema in unknown and it will go away oddly as it came.

Good luck to all
Hereditary angioedema. its a genetic condition. haea.org
I am randomly swelling as all of you.  What scares me the most is when my throat or voice box swells and I cant swallow.  So far my throat hasn't closed off totaly, but in time all things are possible!
I am as all the rest of you.  I have tried everything as far as tests and doctors go.  So I am now going to a naturepath, who is testing for reasons this is happeing and what I may need to do.  I don't think that a regular doctor has a clue what it is or what to do.  Do n't waste your time.
This is just plain scary.  If anyone gets an answer please pass it on.
I am baffled by all the comments, for I to suffer with all the above symptoms. I had a hysterectomy a few months ago and woke up from anesthesia with a swollen lip. The nurse said I must have bitten my lip during surgery which made no sense since I was completely under. Two days later my entire right side was swollen and the doctor told me it was a hematoma from the surgery. But since my surgery, I have had random swelling from my lips, to ears, legs,feet hands eyes back of knees, etc. the flare ups are more often and very painful. I am wondering if the majority of you have had some type of surgery or procedure prior to the outbreaks. Please comment
had 10 teath pulled,,,,never had problems before,,, random swelling all the time now
Hello...I am 28 years old and have also been having this "random" swelling from last five years.  I have been to the doctor many times and at first was treated for an allergic reaction.  I then found a doctor that called it chronic urticaria & angioadema....which cause random swelling.  I am taking anti allergic medicine not a steroid. I am taking this medicine every day. this swelling comes on the surface affecting my finger tips, hands, elbows, knees, ankles, bottom of feet, heal, throat, tongue, face, eyes, lips randomly. My all test are normal.
          but as per this website (http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/allergy-symptoms-types) this can be from a vitamin in milk called Casein Allergy this random swelling happens. From last ten days I have stopped drinking milk, vinegar, much oily foods and any other foods having this vitamin or made from milk. I feeling better now. None of the fruits and vegetables so you can eat them.
          I suggest everybody who are suffering from this can try this stop drinking milk, vinegar, much oily foods and any other foods having this vitamin or made from milk and take medicine while trying this i hope it will help you.

God Bless U all.
are you still on prednisone?  is it working?  my whole body is swollen slightly and they prescribed prednisone.  I just took my second dose of it today and it does not seem to be doing much?  any other suggestions?
Hi guys! Great to read all the testemonials. I have for the last 35 years been wondering what in the world was causing my swellings. First time it happened when I was about 19 years old. I was with a couple of friends in a pub and we were having some beers. Suddenly after 2-3 beers I felt a strange sensation in my upper lip. Then in just a few minutes my whole upper lip swelled up. I got very frustrated, very angry and embarresed. I left the place quickly and made sure I was alone for the next days, until the swelling was gone. It had moved around my whole face!!!
After ca 1 year and 4-5 more incidents (with swellings anywhere on the body!!), I could clearly see that this was related to the alcohol. I could have a few drinks or wine/beer and nothing would happen, but if I was drinking something with alcohol 2-3 days in a row, the swellings came back, maybe 1-2 days after I hade some wine or beer. Later in life I also got swellings if I had a strong cold or a flu.... Now I had swellings for a few days after a visit to the dentist, pulling a tooth and root canal in another....
So my definition is that when my immune system gets stressed or overloaded, the swellings is "around the corner". So I now look at the positive side; Don't drink more than a few times a month and only a few glasses of wine/beer (I love good food and wines...) and stay as healthy as possible. Exersize is also good for me, but I don't over-do it. That can also stress the immune system. I use only supplements from Herbalife to boost my immune system, and it has a great effect - also on my energy level. Now I work full time as a Herbalife distributor to help other people to feel better. Feel free to contact me. Stay health out there. Good luck everybody!
Kjell
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So am not special, I have swelling currently around my right eye, of course the good one, I've taken everything over the counter plus injections, it always related to an unknown allergy, I am so tired of looking like elephant lady, one day my eye another day hives on my legs or arms, the hives or swelling moves all over my body, the allergist indicates with the use of testing that I am allergic to pretty much everything, please help. Oh! thanks for listening.
Anyone out there that has the secret remedy???

I am 35 and had my first episode about 8 months ago. I woke up with itchy hands. With in 10 min of waking my forearms were covered in a rash (dots). The rash spread to my chest and neck, my throat started feeling like I had something stuck in it, my chest was tight, swollen lips and face.... had to go to ER. The gave me steroids, eppi pen, zantak and Benadryl. Everything was ok till two days later, same thing...back to the ER. They said it was an allergic reaction to a blood pressure med I had been taking for over a year. So I stopped taking it.

Took Benadryl and prednisone as instructed by ER and with in a few days I was fine. No trace of rash etc...

Three weeks ago I wake up, hands start to itch, bumps start on my forearms, with in 10 min it was all over my chest, neck, face, upper stomach and my lips/eyes/face were swollen. Way worse than my last episode..

So back to the ER for me. They seemed baffled. Gave me the same treatment. To put it in a nutshell, I had to run to ER with symptoms that seemed to just be getting worse 6 times in the last three weeks. Woke up this morning with swollen eyes, lips and both jaws. Hives start on my chest, spread to my stomach then groin area. My chest is tight, and it feels like I have something in my throat and a horrible headache.

Here's the kicker.....  I only have these symptoms when I wake up, sit up, then start moving around. If I lay down they get better. I have no symptoms in the night and it always gets better toward the night.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been dealing with the same issues listed for over 2 months now. It started with an itch in my palm, then my hands started to swell. Next, I was getting hives down my arms, around my waist and on my feet, my tongue would swell and I would have to force myself to swallow. I've seen many doctors, with no answers. I was sent to an allergy specialist and while in his office, we watched the hives spread over my hands, feet and up my calves. He tried to do a standard allergy test, but stopped after 8 pricks, stating that my body was so clogged up that the tests would not be accurate. I have been completely left in the dark and as all of you know, it can be quite scary when you wake up to your hands being balloons and your throat tight and itchy. Do you go to the ER, or do you wait it out? My symptoms always seem to be the worst when I wake up, of course that is because the body is warmer.
The first thing I had my landlord check was my oil furnace. I asked her to get a maintenance person in to check the filters and the pipes for a leak because I had been noticing a strong oil smell. My hives and swelling completely went away for almost two weeks after the furnace was checked! I was awed.... until they came back. The first time I noticed the reoccurrence was after a sushi meal. I vomited profusely for almost 3 days, experienced swelling in multiple body limbs and hives all over, but thought nothing of the fish I had just consumed. Two nights ago I joined a party for a 4 course meal, my app was a crab bisque(Only a tiny bit of shell fish in the soup), that night I couldn't seem to keep the soup down and the next morning, my hands were more swollen than I have ever seen them before. I could hardly bend my fingers, they were completely red with hard white patches, or hives as I call them. I played it off to the fact that it could have been the alcohol, so the following night, I had one drink of vodka and one  beer to test. I woke up with no symptoms.
Today, a maintenance man at my work pulled out a dirty oil filter to show my boss from one of his apartments, and it happened so fast I could not get away. Even with Benadryl in my system I cannot keep the hives off of my hands. So I am left with only the two things as my indicators, shell fish and Oil heating fumes.
The allergy specialist gave me a few good tid bits of info. He told me to only take Benadryl for emergencies and to take my allergy pills (Reactin is what he prescribed 20mg tables 1 or 2 a day) with an ant-acid (like zantac) he said he has been doing research on allergies since he was an intern and is now a retired doctor only specializing in allergies. He said the ant-acid actually enhances the effects of the antihistamines taken.
I know allergies vary for everyone, but these two tings are the only things I've come across after over 2 months of no-stop issues.
So I ask you all to consider what form of heat your home is using, how long it has been since that heating system has been cleaned or checked. If you're like me, your heat is used mostly in the evening (after work) and at night, when my symptoms seem to be the worst.
I have all the same symptoms, random violet swells, occasional racing pulse, hives.  I saw 3 different allergist, a neurologist, a rumotologist, catriologist and had buckets of bloodwork that was all normal.  I reacted to nothing on the allergist skin tests (including the control histamine)  I could swell 4" in minutes.

I went to a naturopath and found out that food intolerances do not show on allergy tests.  I was told to eat nothing but unseasoned baked chicken and plain white rice for 3 weeks then add one pure unprocessed food at a time.  With this I discovered a severe soy intolerance.  Soy goes by 20 different names and is highly difficult to avoid without cooking everything at home from scratch.  It is in most vegetable oils used for baked goods, almost all boxed and frozen foods, and most preservatives including those for prescription medications.  It even hides under the name "natural flavors" sometimes.

While you may have never been allergic to foods before, food are not the same plant anymore with the GMO, pesticides, and alternations.

Try the elimination diet and see what happens.  I am swell free unless I fall off the strict control of what I eat to exclude it.
well to start im 27 year male. very fit. swelling started about 4 months ago with in minutes on the heel of my left foot. the next day it moved to my toes and by the end of that same day moved to my other foot. went to the doctor but no clear answers. but went away after 48 hours. then yesterday afternoon my right foot, right hand and left side of my tongue swelled. after recalling everything before it has happened, one thing stuck out. it happens right after a cold starts to go away.
Same issue: Random swelling on my fingers, thumbs, toes, eye lids, scalp, back side of ears, underarms, wrists. The swelling is random it stays at one spot for like a day and goes away and comes back again after 3-4 days. This keeps happening for like 4 week. Doctors have no suggestion for treatment yet after my 6th visit. Please help if any one tried anything and worked!
What I figured out after analyzing many many different things I got in contact with and all sorts of food and medicine I had in past 6 months. I found out that food, dust and spring has nothing to do with my allergic reaction but my assumption is that there is this "ADVIL" (ibuprofen) drug that is causing me this issue. This is a common OTC drug that people usually take. when I take advil once a week, that has no affect on my body but when I take advil one per day for two days or more, then it start to trouble me with lots of random swelling in my foot, hands and scalp. I will be visiting rhumetologist to detect any issues with my blood or joints.
I had similar symptoms, but mine was caused from my thyroid.  My doc thought my thyroid was okay until he did a full panel blood test and a sonogram of my thyroid.....I was diagnosed with Thyroid Autoimmune (Hashimotos).  Once I started taking the correct synthroid dosage to help the thyroid gland, I no longer have these issues.  I would get hives even around my waist, hives around my ears, fatigue, anxiety, and etc.  Ask and demand your doctor for a full panel thyroid blood test (i.e., T3, T4, and antibodies) blood test for the thyroid.....  I hope this helps all of you, and good luck!!!!