Random Swelling
In October 2007, I broke out in hives from my neck to my thighs, and my entire face swelled.  I went to the doctor and got a shot, nothing has happend until January 2008.  Randomly my lip will swell, my eyelid, sections of my ankle or elbow.  One nostril has swollen as well.  They don't all of these at the same time, just at random times.  It has even happend when I haven't eaten or drank anything.  Any suggestions/ reasons why this his happening are welcome.
I have been swelling up in random places over the last 7 month, soles of feet, foot,hand,penis,cheek and top lip. Dr has'nt a clue, getting blood tests done 2morro(24/11/2011) can't see that helping in anyway but what is interesting is an earlier post blaming birds, well i've recently had an interest in bird photography(can't rule it out)?
Also before the swelling I had what looked like bites on the bottom of my leg(only 1or 2 bite marks)these were very itchy and took months to heal. I think I got the bites while sitting at the edge of a bowling green(could be some kind of chemical used in the grass)?.
this is crazy the first post was posted in 2008 and here i am december 3 2011 and still along with every one else not quite sure why this is happening.. all i know you have to try an allergist i went to a pretty good one recently ive had this for about 2 years now im 17. and at the allergist i found out im only allergic to one thing. CATS> What the ****.. you know sorry for my language. haha.. but thats it and i found out i have mild asthma also.but after finding out im allergic to cats everytime it has happened the night before there was a cat. its crazy stuff guys i go back to my allergist in about a week or two i think and im going to show him this site and hope we all can get this figured out.
Had all your symptoms. Cut a long story short eventually went to a Momeopath and was told to stay away from Wheat and MSG and yeast. What a difference. Normally very strict. Had hives, runny tummy for months on end, swelling, painful joint and backm., asthma and sinus. Eating correctly sorted out much of the problem. Never showed up in blood tests.
I have had the all the same symptoms as well for about 4 years now. The hives, all over my body. Swelling of my face parts of my lip. I also on some occasions have issues at night where I will wake up and have a hard time breathing and have itchy body.

I have been doing research for years.  I happen to believe it is a thyroid issue or some type of bug bite that occurred years ago but is still effecting me. I take a Thyroid med everyday. The Doc seems to disagree and won't allow me to come off of it. I take Zyrtec daily and it seems to help with the hives and the swelling.

It first occurred one evening after I was outside with my children. I came in and the bottom of my arms started to swell. Eventually I had hives all over my body...and this happens daily, I found Zyrtec will stop the hives and swelling. I'm really upset this has been happening and Doctors/ Allergists have no clue.... Anyone else have a Thyroid issue ?? Maybe have your Thyroid checked...this seemed to occur after a few months of being on a Thyroid med..
I have had this problem over ten years, usually my feet swell,sometimes my hands, once my scrotum to the size of a softball. I have logged: my diet, activities, wherabouts, you name it. I have had blood panels done only to show that I have edema at the time of the blood work, (no S---).I finally gave up. It usually goes away in about 24 hours or so; so I have come to live with it. It seems to be more of a nuisance then anything else except for the pain while walking when my feet are swollen. I have notice it occurs sometimes when I am ill or not feeling well but not always. Sometimes when I'm under stress but not always. This only happens to me about every 6 months or so on average, sometimes less sometimes more. I hate to tell everybody this, but I feel my doctor and I have really tried to isolate this and it was fruitless. Which is why I have given up and just learned to live with it. Depending on the severity of the swelling in my feet it can be very painful to walk and can effect my work for a day sometimes.
Hi everyone, I've had andigeodma with utercarial vasculitis for over 9 yrs now. Well this is what doctors have said, as I really don't think they know what's wrong with me :( I've had every symptom u all discibe, swollen face, lips, chin, feet , hands, tongue throat( where take epi pen) waist, but swellings on my body are hot to touch and so painful and red, feel itchy at times but can't touch as too sore. Last tablet was plaqunil which is an anti malaria tablet. But it actually worked as outbreaks where not as consisted. But I'm here crying and depressed as I'm destroyed all over with serve swelling and pain, I stopped taking tablets as my husband and I want to get pregnant and plaqunil needs to be out of your system before u consider conceiving as many side effects to baby.. So I'm back to square one, so depressed :(
i know this is old but i've been having the same problem for two years .
when it first started i went to the hospital because it was all over my body. (its burns really bad at first then if i scratch it , it starts to swell up like welps all over . i've gotten on my neck, stomach, chest, eyelids , arms , butt , etc . its painful and keeps me from sleeping ) any how the same week i was emitted into the hospital for a ruptured cyst in my ovaries . i was giving shots , etc for what they thought was "allergic reactions" i didnt have a problem with the reactions for a long time then it started coming back ALL the time and now i have these outbreaks almost everyday and i've tried to deal with it without taking benadryll because its the only thing that stops it for awhile and helps me sleep and i dont want to depend on medicine
I wonder if it is a wheat allergy. I always thought that was just a new agey thing (wheat allergies) that affected upper middle class hippies, but turns out that modern day wheat is actually toxic. It's supposed to cause dementia and all sorts of illnesses. Try cutting it out completely for a couple of weeks or so and see what happens.
I had swelling on various parts of my body, mostly bottom of feet but also hands and arms.   Diagosis:   ANGIO EDEMA.   I had to diagnose it myself and then went to an allergist and he confirmed it.   No treatment worked, but it went away on its own.  I had it for probably 1 1/2 years.
I know this happen to you in 2008 but I just found this web page and have the same symptoms and was wondering if you ever found out what it was. I have hives almost every day and swelling on my face randomly and take Benadril every day for the hives but the swelling takes longer to go away and I'm a slave to my house when this happens. Did you ever find out what the cause was? Any help would be appreciated

camor0004155
This is crazy. The same thing is happening to my mom. Prednisone and benadryl seems to help. I have a feeling that a lot of this might have to do with GM crops, or some sort of allergic reaction. Angiodema and hives combined especially leads me to believe that it might be something to do with regular consumption. Also, I think this is also common with people with autoimmune diseases. My mom has severe psoriasis and the angiodema recently developed once she came off Soriantane and Simvastatin.

Wish you all the best.

Woww everything from this thread just sounds all too familiar all the symptoms, hives, swelling you name Ive experienced it all. Started many years ago for me when i was in my late teens into my early twenties. Although when i first started experiencing these hive breakouts and swelling followed by unbeleivable shivers I noticed it always happened when my body was exposed to sudden temperature change..for example it all started one day at the beach ( I live in California) I though initially maybe i was allergic to the ocean, salt seaweed wasnt sure but it would happen about ten min or so of being in the water than as soon as id come out under 90 degree weather id have a good 5-7 min shiver session... well then I started noticing while playing Tennis in gym class instead of perspiring I would turn blotchy and red not one bead of sweat, followed by the same symptons...same when id walk out of the house on a very cold or rainy day all bundled up in a coat and scarf wouldnt even make it to my car with out taking it all of cuz I would feel my skin starting to tense up and swell.....

Doctors could not tell me what was wrong cuz by the time id go see one everything was already cleared no rash or swelling....I went from being 138 lbs at age 19-20 to 218 lbs at the age of 25. 80 lbs I had gained well one hot summer day in june after drinking a red bull I started to sweat doing absolutly nothing just running erronds around town, and let me tell you after that day something must have change in my body because once i started to perspire like a normal person it wouldnt stop like my body was on overtime to let it all out. In just a few short months I lost about 35 lbs and noticed that I was no longer having these swelling episodes so it just went away....Im now 33 and have maintaned my weight at 155 lbs and try to stay as active as possible to avoid what used to happen...

well I found myself on google looking up symptoms because just recently I started with swelling, hives and itchiness but just blotchy different parts of my body evrytime different area, chest pains sometimes,or my palms super itchy under my feet sometimes feels like it turns into a very hard tissue and i can hardly walk on it and then i got the half lip swelling sometimes one side, sometimes just the top lip would just wake up with numb feet numb hand shoulders in pain....i wasnt sure if it was being caused from maybe stress things have been a bit crazy with work and home, family so I thought Id do the research and this is how I came across this...Actually this morning I woke up from chest pains (every now and then I get them, so I just always have baby chewable aspirins on hand, after chewing 1-2 the pressure and pain goes away almost instantly) about an hour later the Angelina Jolie upper lip was in full effect and now my throat is a bit swollen....I usually take allegra when I start to feel the itchiness coming on or benadryl...

Im gonna schedule an appointment to have blood work done...many years ago i was diagnosed with what turned out to be arthiritus and not tendinitus but doctor had said that it was very mild and as long as I didnt do repetative motions it wouldnt aggrivate it and it would not bother me which for many years I had no complaints but im just wondering now if any of all this ties in together....

Sorry all didnt mean to write a novel but I surely did enjoy reading everyones experiences, situations and symptoms cuz it all sounds like I had some of your symptoms at some point over the last 17 yrs.
Would like to echo the sense of relief that I'm not the only person in the world suffering from this weird illness. As everyone has said, all the doctors I have been examined by have expressed a sense of bewilderment and put the cause down to angio edema, this is just to make them look smart, translated it just means more or less skin swelling.

I too seem to have random outbreaks of this, I would say I am more susceptible to it when my body is already in a run down state, recently I had a bad cold and woke up one morning looking like the Elephant man and having difficulty breathing. The most common symptom I have is swollen lips but have experienced it over most of my body. The thing I can relate it to most is gout, I have had this a few times and the sensations are similar. This is just my theory, but I think the catalyst for the illness is a combination of factors, run down, the presence of certain chemicals in your body as a result of your diet, stress levels etc.

Hopefully someone will come up with a cure one day.

Thank You.
I'm up at 5:00 am searching for answers to random swellings as well.  Mine started about 10 years ago with hives and swelling in my throat.  I felt like I was suffocating.  Since that time swelling with and hives on legs, bottom of feet, finger tips and arms only when exposed to very cold temperatures.  Alternating swelling occurs on upper or lower lip, either cheek, chin, and forehead with no triggers whatsoever that I have observed.  it starts with tingling progresses from a small bump to a huge nodule that looks like it will pop!  Usually completely goes down within 12 - 24 hours.  This remiains a mystery to me.  I have begun taking pictures so  I can show my doc on my next visit.
What if anything did you end up finding out? My situation is similar....thx
My symptoms started the beginning of this year. It started with my lips,but it has happened to my tongue,fingers,and bottom of my foot. It was recommended that I go to an allergist by the emergency hospital Dr's. I had tests done and X-rays........nothing was wrong.I'm now on a 24hr allergy medicine that reduced the episodes,but they still happen.I also have prescription prednisone for emergencies.

I really want to know what's going on!
Do not dismiss any swelling of the face, mouth, throat as nothing to worry about and seek emergency medical treatment immediately. Subsequent exposure to the allergen will produce increasingly severe reactions and swelling in this area can close off the airway without warning. For you this is even more risky since you don't know what is causing the reaction.
Hey everybody i have read through all the comments and i too have experienced most of these symptoms. What i have noticed with me is that i am allergic to seafood or shellfish but only when i am stressed. The more stressed i am the worse i get with my face swollen and hives on my forearms and the back of my neck as well as partially across my stomach. Ive been to doctors and they couldnt figure it out as well, but this seems to be my cause of my breakouts. As far as any kind of remedy all i really do is down some benedryl and stay completly cool(taking a cool cold shower helps) to also keep the swelling down especially if you get it all over your body. Hope this aids any and all in the fight against this!
I have read all the comments on this forum and an amazed at the many variations of this mystery ailment. Mine started a week ago when suddenly before going to bed I felt a tightness in my throat and couldn't talk (hoarse). A couple of days later I woke up with itchy blotches on my body that became raised welts. The next day I started experiencing the facial swelling that many of you describe. However, there is NO PAIN, and most of the symptoms go away in a couple of hours, but return just before bedtime! I am 69,  a healthy female and have NEVER HAD ALLERGIES TO ANYTHING! I do not take medications. I do not have a family history of allergies. I was going to see a doctor, but after reading the posts wonder if it's even worth it. Have put Zyrtec on my shopping list. Hope this passes.
Judging from all of your much appreciated comments, you all have experienced the same life altering and crippling effects of this infinite problem.

Apart from an allergic reaction believed to be from sulfa in grade school, this problem of pretty much everything mentioned above began when I was fifteen. I remember feeling weird and itchy patches on my back that responded with welt-like appearance when I scratched-- it was like my pours were dilating to an extreme degree. To make a long story short, I battled the disappearance and re-emergence of the hives ranging from patches to full out all-body hives and it should be noted the reaction to pressure. I ended up missing a lot of school and when I finally got the referral to see an allergist the doctor diagnosed me with some medical jargon that basically means 'spontaneous hives'.  Genus. I'm so thankful she clarified that for me.

That diagnosis, for obvious reasons, did nothing to help me and since then the hives and swellings have reemerged in various manifestations (similar to previous descriptions) for the past 8 years, as I am now 23.

Not only is this problem, as you all know, incredibly uncomfortable but also psychologically trying, as well as embarrassing in regards to facial swelling. Although epidemiology is incredibly complex, it still amazes me how bewildered doctors are in regards to this phenomenon. I think it is important that we put more pressure on physicians and not allow--especially allergists--to elude the problem with medical jargon like "urticaria" and "angioedema"--and prescribe harmful prednisone.

I found many of your theories interesting so I decided to share some of mine. As of now, I am pretty in line with the stress+ trigger combination idea. I also have noticed recently a pattern of hives/swellings appearing after a cold which could be something. The hardest part about all of this is knowing correlation is not always causation, which is again why I believe it is a combination of things. I wonder if there is gene testing that can be done?

I would also like to point out that I have had these allergic reactions while living in Spain, Cambodia, and China so it is not a condition caused by something endemic to America (I am a Caucasian American from IL). I am currently living and teaching in China and my incidence of allergic reactions as more than tripled which leads me to believe that air quality could have something to do with it (and again, stress, as living in China is stressful for a whole shelf of reasons).

Some additional anecdotes are that I also suffer from Raynauds Phenomenon (hypersensitivity to cold, etc that causes blue or white hands. Interestingly enough, I experience no symptoms when my hands are blue but painful numbness when white). In addition, I suffer from (at times severe) restless leg syndrome, sensitive skin, and am very susceptible to coughs, earaches, and UTI's.
I also very rarely get headaches where there is a brief but incredibly intense shooting pain in one area of my brain. Most likely unrelated but I thought I would throw that in there.
As far as family history goes, my mom has fibromyalgia and was diagnosed with a rare gene affected by mold which has provided her various health issues.

Also, I am a vegetarian.

So, does anyone else have concurrent health issues? It would be interesting if there were any trends!

It is good to know we are not alone. I wish the best of luck to all of you and I hope everyone continues to watch for updates and shares any new information or diagnosis that could help others. I shall do the same. I am living in China right now and considering getting acupuncture, if it helps I will let everyone know!    
I have also suffered from random swell ups. My observations are that I sometimes get the itchy feeling, scratch it, then the swelling starts. The swelling is limited to the area that is scratched. I believe the swelling could be contained by limiting the amount of surface area scratched. Not sure what triggers the itching but the swelling seems to come from the pressure of the scratching. I also notice that if I apply pressure to an area for too long, such as folding my leg up on a chair, the highest point of pressure on the leg will swell. While at work, when I use my fingers too much, the repetitive pressure on my fingers will cause them to swell. My fingers are not itchy at the time but the area the most pressure or repeated pressure is applied is where it will swell. I have a theory about it. I had suffered some trauma to my back where my disc was bulging and my sciatic nerve was being rubbed away by the bulge. I think it may be my body swelling pain areas to prevent damage. I had suffered constant pain down my sciatic nerve for over 3 years. When I say constant, there was not a minute the pain did not exist. Now that I have had surgery, I find myself able to cope with pains that use to be unbearable. I have tooth that has rotted 3/4 away and the pain that would come with it, that wants to surface, I can suppress with ease. I think it may be possible that our bodies are trying to preserve us at a hyper rate.
I stoked that there is board about this because i was freaked out i had something wrong with me, has any found out what is going on them?

I am 29 and about 6 weeks ago before bed my foot started to go numb, but turns out it was just swelling up, by the next day by foot had swollen, i took some allergy medicine that a co-worker had and went home and iced my foot and took Advil and an antihistamine, it was better the next day but not totally, also my stomach was hurting, wasn't nausea just upset, foot and stomach last couple days and made appointment, by time symptoms went away did blood work but after they took blood called back that results were inconclusive because of low white blood cells. was fine for two weeks and then broke out very badly, foot, hip, hand, leg, hip, got in see dr and did blood work, (nothing but low white blood cells and high histamine but all looked healthy) and xray on chest thought it was valley fever, (nothing) prescribed steroid which helped, no symptoms  for the 5 days then a couple days later stomach and  swelling foot, hip, bottom. again steroid again no more and did an ultra sound all good, the day after i finished  the steroid I started swelling, foot, shoulder, lower back, shoulder, hip,

i have another appointment with a new dr, any id's about test they can run? they have said that after this next steps is allergiest.  any other things it might be? or who i might see>?i am thought it might be some blood infection because even when i go out of town i have the same symptoms. i dont want to treat the symptoms I have started a total body cleanse today but has been taking natural antihistamine (nettle) and a tbs bentonite clay before dinner past couple days but no positive results, hopefully will see positive changes,  any other ideas about herbal remedies? i have also given up alcohol and tobacco, i read to give up allot of stuff like caffeine but am working there, any other ideas about diet changes?
Hi, I just came across this board and thought I'd share my experience.  For the past two months almost, I've been dealing with a face rash and occasional swelling of my lips and eye area.  It started with what seemed like chapped/dry lips, then spread to a rash around my lips within a day.  A week or so later, a rash appeared under one eye and on the bridge of my nose.  The lip problem would start to go away and then get worse.  Then, maybe two weeks into this, I broke out in itchy welts/hives on my face and one eye started swelling underneath when the A/C at work wasn't working and it was hot in the office.  It proceeded for another two weeks to alternate between itchy hives/ swelling of one or both eyes, then that would go down, then the lips would swell and itch and then dry up and crack and peel... really uncomfortable, and the itching drove me nuts when that was going on.  I've been to my doctor, and she ran blood tests.  Everything was "normal" except slightly low white blood cell count.  She referred me to an allergist and a dermatologist.  Each has a different take on it-- derm thinks it was a fungal yeast infection in the corners of my mouth that triggered allergic rash, but the allergist thinks I'm allergic to something I touched on my face.  They tested a bunch of my body care products on me and I had an allergic reaction to jojoba oil and another oil... I've used jojoba oil for 5 years on my face every day!  They seem to think that's what caused it, but I haven't used it for a month now, pretty much (realized it was also in my shampoo, so stopped that), and today I woke up to itching/tingling swelling of my lips again!  They're a red, swollen mess again.  

So, what I've done is gone to see a holistic MD, paid out of pocket.  He spent the time to hear my whole, detailed medical history, all my symptoms, things I think could be related (other health issues like migraines I've had for ages.)  He thinks I may have low thyroid (which wouldn't show up on the regular blood test my doc did) and low adrenal function that has left me with a low immunity to things like this, and maybe hypersensitive.  He's having me do a body temperature-taking test every day to chart my body temp as a clue about whether it might be one of those hormone glands... and has suggested I go off all inflammatory foods, like dairy, caffeine, chocolate, sugar, breads/wheat, alcohol, and eat lots of fresh vegetables, especially green leafy ones (collard greens, kale, etc.) raw or lightly steamed (I also sautee them lightly in olive oil and fresh chopped garlic and salt/pepper), and add in healthy protein (I eat a little chicken, beans, stuff like quinoa, buckwheat groats).  I stopped even decaf coffee, no sugar (I read all labels of all food and ask at restaurants to make sure there's no hidden sugar.)  I also eat some fresh fruit and some raw nuts (not peanuts, just walnuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds...)  I drink only water and herbal tea.  He also suggested I do a gentle cleanse of toxins/heavy metals in the body by drinking bentonite clay in water once a day (just a teaspoon of powder or gel in a glass of water)... I take it with psyllium husks because I was getting constipated... and warm baths with the clay mixed in (it clumps, so you have to soak the powder in water til it turns to gel, and then break up clumps).  I also do some face masks or wet compresses with the bentonite.  He had other suggestions, too... I'm trying it all, including acupuncture (never did it before, but I'm doing it now!)  Some cities have "community acupuncture" clinics where it's low cost, so google it, and you might find it helps with time (I'm hoping all this helps.)  I'd recommend trying some suggestions about checking out your adrenal gland functions:  http://www.drrind.com/  and doing the temperature taking chart... this isn't my doctor, but my holistic doc is using this doctor's methods.  I'm finding my body temperature (average, taken 3 times a day) is low and fluctuates from day to day quite a bit... which sounds like it indicates slightly low thyroid and low-functioning adrenal glands... and my holistic dr. is then going to work with me on some natural ways to boost those if he finds they are low (I'm about to send him my temp results for the last couple weeks.)  His take on it, is that they are probably not functioning well-- can result from stressful periods either physically or emotionally/mentally, when you never quite recover, and your glands are left trying to catch up, and they control so many functions in your body that it can cause all kinds of symptoms.  Of course, I've done the allergy testing partly already, to figure out any triggers there, but otherwise, I want to find out WHY this started happening out of the blue!  So, I'm improving my health slowly (I was already fairly healthy, but stressed a lot, and have had a surgery this past year and several sports injuries that left me unable to exercise much...)  and hoping that will nip this in the bud with time.  I recommend finding a holistic MD or naturopathic dr. either in person or online to talk to by phone/email... in addition to a regular doc.
I have had the same conditions as discribed in the many blogs. I have been taking Singulair and Zertec for several years without a re-occurrence until this weekend.

I came down with a cold and took some asprin, bingo.....both feet and tongue swelled.

I noticed someone said asprin can cause a flair up.  could be coincidence.

Elderly doctor told me years ago, the cause of Angio Adema in unknown and it will go away oddly as it came.

Good luck to all
Hereditary angioedema. its a genetic condition. haea.org
I am randomly swelling as all of you.  What scares me the most is when my throat or voice box swells and I cant swallow.  So far my throat hasn't closed off totaly, but in time all things are possible!
I am as all the rest of you.  I have tried everything as far as tests and doctors go.  So I am now going to a naturepath, who is testing for reasons this is happeing and what I may need to do.  I don't think that a regular doctor has a clue what it is or what to do.  Do n't waste your time.
This is just plain scary.  If anyone gets an answer please pass it on.
I am baffled by all the comments, for I to suffer with all the above symptoms. I had a hysterectomy a few months ago and woke up from anesthesia with a swollen lip. The nurse said I must have bitten my lip during surgery which made no sense since I was completely under. Two days later my entire right side was swollen and the doctor told me it was a hematoma from the surgery. But since my surgery, I have had random swelling from my lips, to ears, legs,feet hands eyes back of knees, etc. the flare ups are more often and very painful. I am wondering if the majority of you have had some type of surgery or procedure prior to the outbreaks. Please comment
had 10 teath pulled,,,,never had problems before,,, random swelling all the time now
Hello...I am 28 years old and have also been having this "random" swelling from last five years.  I have been to the doctor many times and at first was treated for an allergic reaction.  I then found a doctor that called it chronic urticaria & angioadema....which cause random swelling.  I am taking anti allergic medicine not a steroid. I am taking this medicine every day. this swelling comes on the surface affecting my finger tips, hands, elbows, knees, ankles, bottom of feet, heal, throat, tongue, face, eyes, lips randomly. My all test are normal.
          but as per this website (http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/allergy-symptoms-types) this can be from a vitamin in milk called Casein Allergy this random swelling happens. From last ten days I have stopped drinking milk, vinegar, much oily foods and any other foods having this vitamin or made from milk. I feeling better now. None of the fruits and vegetables so you can eat them.
          I suggest everybody who are suffering from this can try this stop drinking milk, vinegar, much oily foods and any other foods having this vitamin or made from milk and take medicine while trying this i hope it will help you.

God Bless U all.
are you still on prednisone?  is it working?  my whole body is swollen slightly and they prescribed prednisone.  I just took my second dose of it today and it does not seem to be doing much?  any other suggestions?
Hi guys! Great to read all the testemonials. I have for the last 35 years been wondering what in the world was causing my swellings. First time it happened when I was about 19 years old. I was with a couple of friends in a pub and we were having some beers. Suddenly after 2-3 beers I felt a strange sensation in my upper lip. Then in just a few minutes my whole upper lip swelled up. I got very frustrated, very angry and embarresed. I left the place quickly and made sure I was alone for the next days, until the swelling was gone. It had moved around my whole face!!!
After ca 1 year and 4-5 more incidents (with swellings anywhere on the body!!), I could clearly see that this was related to the alcohol. I could have a few drinks or wine/beer and nothing would happen, but if I was drinking something with alcohol 2-3 days in a row, the swellings came back, maybe 1-2 days after I hade some wine or beer. Later in life I also got swellings if I had a strong cold or a flu.... Now I had swellings for a few days after a visit to the dentist, pulling a tooth and root canal in another....
So my definition is that when my immune system gets stressed or overloaded, the swellings is "around the corner". So I now look at the positive side; Don't drink more than a few times a month and only a few glasses of wine/beer (I love good food and wines...) and stay as healthy as possible. Exersize is also good for me, but I don't over-do it. That can also stress the immune system. I use only supplements from Herbalife to boost my immune system, and it has a great effect - also on my energy level. Now I work full time as a Herbalife distributor to help other people to feel better. Feel free to contact me. Stay health out there. Good luck everybody!
Kjell
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So am not special, I have swelling currently around my right eye, of course the good one, I've taken everything over the counter plus injections, it always related to an unknown allergy, I am so tired of looking like elephant lady, one day my eye another day hives on my legs or arms, the hives or swelling moves all over my body, the allergist indicates with the use of testing that I am allergic to pretty much everything, please help. Oh! thanks for listening.
Anyone out there that has the secret remedy???

I am 35 and had my first episode about 8 months ago. I woke up with itchy hands. With in 10 min of waking my forearms were covered in a rash (dots). The rash spread to my chest and neck, my throat started feeling like I had something stuck in it, my chest was tight, swollen lips and face.... had to go to ER. The gave me steroids, eppi pen, zantak and Benadryl. Everything was ok till two days later, same thing...back to the ER. They said it was an allergic reaction to a blood pressure med I had been taking for over a year. So I stopped taking it.

Took Benadryl and prednisone as instructed by ER and with in a few days I was fine. No trace of rash etc...

Three weeks ago I wake up, hands start to itch, bumps start on my forearms, with in 10 min it was all over my chest, neck, face, upper stomach and my lips/eyes/face were swollen. Way worse than my last episode..

So back to the ER for me. They seemed baffled. Gave me the same treatment. To put it in a nutshell, I had to run to ER with symptoms that seemed to just be getting worse 6 times in the last three weeks. Woke up this morning with swollen eyes, lips and both jaws. Hives start on my chest, spread to my stomach then groin area. My chest is tight, and it feels like I have something in my throat and a horrible headache.

Here's the kicker.....  I only have these symptoms when I wake up, sit up, then start moving around. If I lay down they get better. I have no symptoms in the night and it always gets better toward the night.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been dealing with the same issues listed for over 2 months now. It started with an itch in my palm, then my hands started to swell. Next, I was getting hives down my arms, around my waist and on my feet, my tongue would swell and I would have to force myself to swallow. I've seen many doctors, with no answers. I was sent to an allergy specialist and while in his office, we watched the hives spread over my hands, feet and up my calves. He tried to do a standard allergy test, but stopped after 8 pricks, stating that my body was so clogged up that the tests would not be accurate. I have been completely left in the dark and as all of you know, it can be quite scary when you wake up to your hands being balloons and your throat tight and itchy. Do you go to the ER, or do you wait it out? My symptoms always seem to be the worst when I wake up, of course that is because the body is warmer.
The first thing I had my landlord check was my oil furnace. I asked her to get a maintenance person in to check the filters and the pipes for a leak because I had been noticing a strong oil smell. My hives and swelling completely went away for almost two weeks after the furnace was checked! I was awed.... until they came back. The first time I noticed the reoccurrence was after a sushi meal. I vomited profusely for almost 3 days, experienced swelling in multiple body limbs and hives all over, but thought nothing of the fish I had just consumed. Two nights ago I joined a party for a 4 course meal, my app was a crab bisque(Only a tiny bit of shell fish in the soup), that night I couldn't seem to keep the soup down and the next morning, my hands were more swollen than I have ever seen them before. I could hardly bend my fingers, they were completely red with hard white patches, or hives as I call them. I played it off to the fact that it could have been the alcohol, so the following night, I had one drink of vodka and one  beer to test. I woke up with no symptoms.
Today, a maintenance man at my work pulled out a dirty oil filter to show my boss from one of his apartments, and it happened so fast I could not get away. Even with Benadryl in my system I cannot keep the hives off of my hands. So I am left with only the two things as my indicators, shell fish and Oil heating fumes.
The allergy specialist gave me a few good tid bits of info. He told me to only take Benadryl for emergencies and to take my allergy pills (Reactin is what he prescribed 20mg tables 1 or 2 a day) with an ant-acid (like zantac) he said he has been doing research on allergies since he was an intern and is now a retired doctor only specializing in allergies. He said the ant-acid actually enhances the effects of the antihistamines taken.
I know allergies vary for everyone, but these two tings are the only things I've come across after over 2 months of no-stop issues.
So I ask you all to consider what form of heat your home is using, how long it has been since that heating system has been cleaned or checked. If you're like me, your heat is used mostly in the evening (after work) and at night, when my symptoms seem to be the worst.
I have all the same symptoms, random violet swells, occasional racing pulse, hives.  I saw 3 different allergist, a neurologist, a rumotologist, catriologist and had buckets of bloodwork that was all normal.  I reacted to nothing on the allergist skin tests (including the control histamine)  I could swell 4" in minutes.

I went to a naturopath and found out that food intolerances do not show on allergy tests.  I was told to eat nothing but unseasoned baked chicken and plain white rice for 3 weeks then add one pure unprocessed food at a time.  With this I discovered a severe soy intolerance.  Soy goes by 20 different names and is highly difficult to avoid without cooking everything at home from scratch.  It is in most vegetable oils used for baked goods, almost all boxed and frozen foods, and most preservatives including those for prescription medications.  It even hides under the name "natural flavors" sometimes.

While you may have never been allergic to foods before, food are not the same plant anymore with the GMO, pesticides, and alternations.

Try the elimination diet and see what happens.  I am swell free unless I fall off the strict control of what I eat to exclude it.
well to start im 27 year male. very fit. swelling started about 4 months ago with in minutes on the heel of my left foot. the next day it moved to my toes and by the end of that same day moved to my other foot. went to the doctor but no clear answers. but went away after 48 hours. then yesterday afternoon my right foot, right hand and left side of my tongue swelled. after recalling everything before it has happened, one thing stuck out. it happens right after a cold starts to go away.
Same issue: Random swelling on my fingers, thumbs, toes, eye lids, scalp, back side of ears, underarms, wrists. The swelling is random it stays at one spot for like a day and goes away and comes back again after 3-4 days. This keeps happening for like 4 week. Doctors have no suggestion for treatment yet after my 6th visit. Please help if any one tried anything and worked!
What I figured out after analyzing many many different things I got in contact with and all sorts of food and medicine I had in past 6 months. I found out that food, dust and spring has nothing to do with my allergic reaction but my assumption is that there is this "ADVIL" (ibuprofen) drug that is causing me this issue. This is a common OTC drug that people usually take. when I take advil once a week, that has no affect on my body but when I take advil one per day for two days or more, then it start to trouble me with lots of random swelling in my foot, hands and scalp. I will be visiting rhumetologist to detect any issues with my blood or joints.
I had similar symptoms, but mine was caused from my thyroid.  My doc thought my thyroid was okay until he did a full panel blood test and a sonogram of my thyroid.....I was diagnosed with Thyroid Autoimmune (Hashimotos).  Once I started taking the correct synthroid dosage to help the thyroid gland, I no longer have these issues.  I would get hives even around my waist, hives around my ears, fatigue, anxiety, and etc.  Ask and demand your doctor for a full panel thyroid blood test (i.e., T3, T4, and antibodies) blood test for the thyroid.....  I hope this helps all of you, and good luck!!!!
Try the allergy doctors in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, who developed a successful sublingual immunotherapy in which you place a drop of liquid under your tongue three times a day. It is specially formatted based on your specific allergies, like allergy shots. ENT docs especially are picking up on this. It worked for me, although my food allergies caused mucous, not swelling. Traditional allergists think it doesn't work, but I know several people helped by this.
Hi, i was reading your response

i have had 8years of swelling/puffiness, on my cheeks basically.
It goes on and off throughout the day, i havent found out a root cause for it
my swelling is not exactly painful or swelling type, its alotof puffiness, like my cheeks suddenly look really fat

i was just wondering why you decided to take Roll Aids (or you rolaids?) as it in an anti-acid.

recently ive been feeling that this puffiness issue is connected to my stomach.
so any help in this matter would really steer me in the right direction.

look forward to hearing from you  

Thanks, all your help is truly appreciated
My doctor told me that anyone with allergies anything can happen, I don't buy this and I'm looking for an answer. I went to my primary doctor. He was concerned that any time from the neck up that swells there is a possibility that my airways could close, I was given a steroid shot and a prescription of steroids for a week, the last time this happened. It was worse than today
thank you Carl
I went through the same experience as most of these people did. I took Prednisone first and the symptoms  went away only to come back a few days later. Went to an allergist and he recommended Allegra. For me with in two hours of taking it all my symptons of the hives and random swelling went away. I took it for two weeks and stopped. About a week later started getting the swelling in my face again. So back on Allegra and within two hours it went away. For now I am on a daily regiment of Allegra until I can figure out the issue. After some blood test I did find out my body is making antibodies against itself so going to look further into that. I hope this helps some people because it is kind of scary when you don't know whats happening.  
OMG!! Thank god for the internet and for the person who started this thread years ago!!!

Since my twenties I've had sensitive skin. I would break out in horrible "rashes". Patches of uber-dry skin that just burned and itched all the time. My doctor at the time finally said it was an allergic reaction due to the ingredients in the hand sanitizers at my work. I stayed away from them and found a moisterizer that helped keep the patches at bay. I was fine for almost 6 years. Then in 2008, after being diagnosed with congestive heart failure I started getting a rash on my arms.I changed meds and it seemed to go away and now it's back. On top of that I get these 'hives' that come outta nowhere. If I don't scratch them they go away after a few hours. My doctor at the time said it was from stress and could possibly be related to my fibromyalgia. Within the past few months suddenly the hives have started to center on my hands and lower arms, sometimes on my feet or ankles. If I scratch them the area where they are swells horribly and is sooo painful! (and I'm on percocets for damage to my back and it still hurts) The only thing I've found that helps is if I take Benadryl tablets. No other creams or pills help. And I have to take 2 which knocks me out. I also have trouble swallowing and breathing sometimes when this happens. Sometimes I have trouble swallowing and breathing without the 'hives', etc.
I've tried cutting out meds, I've tried watching what I eat, where I sleep, anything that touches me. I can't find anything that is the cause of it. It's so stressful. Especially when I have the breathing and swallowing issues because I know that allergic reactions can be deadly.
What I hate the most though is the scars left from the rashes and the rashes themselves on my arms and hands. Even my boyfriend has gotten to the point of saying it looks like I'm a druggie. He even jokes that it's a reaction to the pain meds I'm on. I'm so sick of it. All of it. I read every entry here hoping that at some point someone would say they had finally found a cause or something other than allergy meds that would just make it stop.

Yet still how many years since the original post no one has a definite answer.

I know I sound really depressing and negative right now. But seeing this thread and all the other people who are going through the same things I am ....it helps. Maybe no one will actually care enough to find out what is actually causing this. But at least I'm not alone in being frustrated, embarrassed and scared.

I'm going to look up some of the conditions others have mentioned here and bring them to my doctors on the next visit. And I plan to keep following this thread in case someone out there figures something out.

But I just wanted to say thank you. Thank all of you for sharing. Even if you don't have any idea of anything that will help. Thank you.

It helps to know you're not alone.
This is so frustrating!  For the most part, I am awakened in the middle of the night with mine.  I have had a couple during the day, but mine start with a burning sensation everywhere I grow hair:  armpits, the va ja ja, you know the drill...  I immediately know what is about to happen....  I get up and immediately grab my round hair brush.  I scratch my hands like I am trying to literally take the skin off.  RELENTLESS!  The pain is unbearable.  I remember how the chicken pox felt when I was a child because I was one of the few who had it twice.  That is what my hands and feet feel like. Huge whelps (some the size of a silver dollar or larger) and the red flushing of the skin begins to take over.  And now, my tongue and airways are starting to swell.  Now, that's getting pretty darn scary.  What am I to do?  I have told several doctors.  I'm a simple gal.  Nothing really changes with my diet and medications.  I had several episodes this past year prior to Christmas, but before that, it had been probably two years since I had had one.  And then...., there was another last night.  3:30AM.

Reading this thread really doesn't give me hope.  I can tell you that as I age, the episodes seem to get worse.  I have told my family that because now that my tongue and my airways seem to be affected, be prepared to take me to the ER with the next one.  And that's just it.....  When will I have another?  If there is anyone in the medical field that can help us, please do.  Apparently this is a rare condition (maybe not quite so rare).  We need a doctor that can diagnose this.  

Thanks guys!
I've had regular strong allergies and I'm on my monthly period, for the last few days I've had swelling in my hands, fingers, feet, and stomach area. I usually drink a lot of water, but haven't in the last week. I have no redness or skin issues. I'm guessing maybe its the combination of my period and the allergies, and maybe some water retention. I have been drinking more Sprite soda, more than usual. Perhaps this too is the cause. I took some pictures of myself recently and I noticed it, and my rings I like to wear on my middle finger have been a bit tight. I did take some very strong prescription allergy medication I had gotten in Europe. It did affect me and I felt like I w as really drunk, it made me crave a lot of sprite soda to ease my stomach. Hope it goes away soon.
Well, it looks like another person (me) suffers from this unknown and random swelling condition. I have been suffering from this for many years now. I also have been tested for allergies. Checked my blood, watched my diet, and tried to control my stress levels. None of which have contributed to adding to or curing our condition.

The last post in here was more than 7 years ago, so I'm checking in to see where everyone got the cure from.

I haven't tried changing deodorant,  but will be giving it a shot. So far that's one I haven't heard of, and if you suffer from this you will know I am willing to try anything.

My swelling happens in random places at random times. I have seen it from pressure (ex. swelling on shoulder after carrying a backpack, but not every time) Most recently, yesterday it was only on my left hand, middle finger. Today, it was only on my right hand, but again middle finger. I assume maybe because they are the furthest part on my hands. I haven't even been driving in traffic to be using my middle finger too much.

My symptoms start with a slight itch to the skin. then within a few hours, the area becomes inflamed. Then it swells and becomes very tight. with the skin stretched to its max, it then feels like a sunburn. It takes anywhere from 24-72hours to subside.

during the times it moves into my mouth, I can feel it in the lower part of my lip, then it moves to the top of my lip. many times it lumps up like I bit my lip, but then it will move around my mouth never occupying more than 30-40% of my lips at the same time. Eventually it will disappear.

The allergist looked at a spot on my arm and quickly called it hives, has prescribed anti-histamines but I cant find that they work. since there are many years of posts, with hundreds of posts about this and no one offering a cure, we may need to band together and compare symptoms and such (the reason behind this lofty post)

The only thing my blood work determined is I have a deficiency in Vitam D, so I take D3 and try to enjoy my tie in the sun.

If you have any recommendations, or would like to share in ideas please post back. Maybe we can all figure this out since doctors aren't trying

~Regards
Hello swellguy and all the others! I randomly swell during past six month, eye lid, eye orbite, nose thrill, lower lip, upper lip, left side of lips, localized on arms sometimes, middle finger,a part of left palm somwtimes, a lower part of one butt cheek. Had someone find an answer so far? I've been tested and tested, billion blood and urine analysis, ... They didn't find anything, except some higer IgM antibody in blood serum, but haematological malignancies are excluded...for now. I have completely changed my life style, I eat healthy, exercise, yoga, diet, but now result, the swelling still occure, at least once a week, for 3 to 5 days, changing location. I am desperate, I am taking xyzal for months, but nothing. Btw, I am 41, female. Help, someone! Thank you.
Hi Swellguy; Im looking for answers too....this has been happening to me for about 2 years now and seems to be getting worse. Im a 54 year old woman and figured it was brought on by menopause. Im getting pretty desperate so if you find any answers let me now. Im thinking of ging to see an ayurvedic practitioner or similar.
Hello I have the same problems as you. I do have a few questions for you. You said that the symptoms ie.. swallow tongue got worse or happened more frequently when you were on birth control and during your period. What I want to know is if it also gets worse during your period if you are not taking or were off birth control.
I have the same symtoms. Same answer from doctors that everyone else got. Which means no answers really.  I came across this. Hope this helps. http://www.thedoctorstv.com/videos/disorder-causes-random-swelling