Allergy Community
Rash and bumps on body - Is this an Allergy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have had a bumpy rash on my body for a few months.  It is chronic and won't go away.  It is very itchy and I can't stop scratching it.  It is located mainly on my lower back, stomach by my belly button, sternum area, sometimes along my sides, sometimes in my armpits, sometimes on my upper thighs and sometimes in my crotch area.

It is red from scratching and doesn't spread to my face, head, arms, lower legs or to anyone else in my family of 5.  We share towels and I don't think it is contagious.  I went to the doctor but she had no clue, prescribed something for the itching, a pill but I took it once only as it made me go right to sleep in the middle of the day.

I have been treating it with benedryl lotion which helps a bit but it will not go away.  I am starting to think it could be some kind of allergy to something.  I have my wife changing our detergent but we still have a lot of washing to do before I could even tell if that is the cause.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be or how to treat it?  I have an appointment with Dermatology but the first appointment is in 1.5 months.  I am going nuts scratching the rash.

Thanks.
have you tried to see if anyone changed laundry soap or shower soap? This could be a problem, maybe do an extra rinse in the wash cycle. Do you notice if it happens where you sweat the most? Good luck!
try eliminating differant things even shower gel will do it, any dry skin cream, yes I know guys use it aswell!.Detergent is high on the list of baddies, there is a free and clear out there ,also the Bounce sheets, and sad to tell you even your wifes perfume an d the stuff she uses!!If you try to eliminate them one at a time you may get a clue, also check what you are eating some foods are notorius for allergys (allergies), Go to your search engine and put it in , It will give you a list.Try not to scratch get an ice block and wrap it in a cloth and put on the area thats itching, it will soothe it.
Also your own sweat can do it its called Cholinergic Urticaria, put it in the search engine and see.
This does seem to be an allergic reaction. An allergy rash can be identified with these characteristics:
-Ugly reddish patches on the skin with itchiness and redness.
-Scaly rough patches on the skin due to over growth of bacteria and fungal infections.
-Itchy and swollen red bumps or patches all over the body.

If your body immune system is unable to destroy the unwanted foreign particles that enter in your body’s cells and tissues, then this unwanted particles reacts adversely, which will result in allergies. Some times, these reactions are pertained to outer surface of the skin and they are known as allergy rashes.

Foods, medications, cosmetics an dexposure to sunlight apart from insect bites,chemicals(detergents, soaps) are all common trigger factors.

Treatment is with anti-histamines. You can take the non-sedating ones like Loratidine.But it will take about 2 days for the levels to be built up sufficiently to cause a resolution of the rash.

You can apply Calamine lotion or a menthol/camphor based sream on the areas affected to find relief from the itch.

ref:http://www.allergyasthmazone.com/allergy/factors-that-can-contribute-to-allergy-rash/
Thanks for everyone's reply.  We have switched detergents to a Tide free and clear, no fragrance, etc... but it will take a while till everything has been washed in it.  What soap do you recommend for the shower?  We have been using Dove for years.

I don't think sweat is the trigger, I really don't sweat much.

I have yesterday bought gold bond and that seems to soothe the itching.

I will also contact my Dr. and ask about Loratidine.  The other prescription she gave me put me to sleep right after I took it.

The interesting thing is where the rash is.  Along my waistline, on my lower back from my waist about half way up my back, the side of my upper legs, sternum area, on my upper back localized on the sides just under my armpits.  Sometimes it is bad in one or more of these areas, sometimes it switches around.

I have never had it in my lower legs, feet, arms, head, face, back of legs...

At first I thought maybe this is because that is where my clothes touch my skin and maybe this is a detergent thing, but I am not sure...

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Bryan

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Bryan