Allergy Community
Rash beginning a week after wasp sting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Rash beginning a week after wasp sting

I was stung twice on the back of my knee and thigh by a red wasp last week on Tuesday.  I washed it immediately and after a couple of hours the pain was completely gone.  It has been red and slightly itchy all week but never bothersome enough to take Benadryl and the redness, about 4 inches in diameter, has gotten lighter-colored each day.  Yesterday, exactly a week after getting stung, I developed a very itchy hive-like rash all around the perimeter of the red area and on the sting marks.  I've take Benadryl twice (50mg each time) with no noticeable effect and used a cortisone spray about 5 times, which helps the itching for a while. The rash is getting more pronounced and itchier instead of better.  Is this normal?  What is going on and what should I be doing about it?  Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!
In all probability the sting of the wasp is still inside. This is causing slow localized reaction. In order to get complete relief, this will have to be removed. With inflammation around, it is at times difficult to locate. Please consult your PCP regarding this.
It can also be an allergy to wasp sting, aggravated by the second sting. If you have this allergy, it needs to be identified as subsequent stings may cause a more severe reaction.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Hello, I am having a similar reaction. I was stung a little less than two weeks ago once on my pinky finger. At first it swelled some, turned red, and itched. This all went away after about 5 days. Now my pinky knuckle has swollen and is itching again just as badly as before. What should i do?
i was stung about 2 weeks ago 15 times i stepped into a nest in the ground about 3 days later welts have been comming and going all over over my body it has now spread even to the bottom of my feet and my lip swells and now its on my ears and face the sting sites have turned into deep round holes nothing helps i have to take double dose of benedryl just to get enough reliefe to go to sleep sometimes i wont have them all day and then they show up and are all over i wasnt sure if it was from the stings because of how many days later the hives occurd. my dad said shingles an my mom said sounds like allergic reaction
I got a wasp sting on my ankle almost 3 weeks ago.  It was barely painful and hardly swollen, then after about a week it got rather itchy.  It has always been a bit red around the sting sight, with a hole in the middle which has scabbed over several times.  It is still red, a little hard, and has the hole in the middle 20 days later.  Any advice?
Hi There,

I am having similar issues. I was stung by a wasp three weeks ago and I am still itchy. When I was stung I swatted the wasp off but the tail stayed in. I pulled that out and washed the area. After a week I developed a rash around the area that was a little swollen. That has since gone, but the itchiness is still there and the hole is still red. It did scab over but I unfortunately kept scratching them off when I was trying itch the rash. Could I just be having a larger reaction that will subside soon or should I go to the doctor?
I was stung twice at one time by what I assumed to be wasps, one on the stomach, and one on the ankle.  I did not see the insect on my stomach, but the ankle stinger was still present when I looked down. It was primarily black, but not long and skinny as I would picture a wasp. However, I only had a quick glance as I brushed it away immediately.  The stings were very painful. Neosporin with anesthetic had no effect.  I had a high potency cortisone cream, clobetasol, and applied that with no immediate result.  The stings remained very painful so I applied ice for 6 hours til the pain stopped.  On my stomach there was a small hole in the skin, no stinger in site. I could not see my ankle very well, but that one turned into a red welt about a little over 1/4 inch by the next morning, not much swelling on either. For 4-5 days I had no symptoms, but at that time both bites became extremely itchy. Mu stomach developed redness aboutr 2 inches wide around the sting, which I could no longer even see. The ankle was worse, swelling on both sides of the ankle, and actually itching more on the other side from the bite. The bite was just behind the protruding ankle bone on the inside of the foot.  I don't know if it is related, but I have joint pain in my middle finger  now also for no apparent reason.  I am wondering if I am going to be more allergic to subsequent stings. I am 65 and have had many stings throughout my life, and none have ever been this painful, and I have never had a delayed reaqction like this.  Comments?