Allergy Community
Reaction From Amoxicillin in Semen in Penicillin-Allergic Partner?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have been prescribed amoxicillin for an acute sinusitis infection, 500mg twice a day for two weeks.  My wife has a moderate allergy to penicillin and penicillin-derived antibiotics, which includes amoxicillin, I believe.  As I understand it, most of an amoxicillin dose passes in the urine unchanged.  Is is possible, and if so, how likely, that there would be a sufficient concentration of amoxicillin in my semen to cause an adverse allergic reaction in my wife from her swallowing my semen, or from me ejaculating in her vagina?
Avatar n tn
I would think that yes you could.  Why don't you just use condoms until a few days after you finish the amox so you know its out of your system.