Allergy Community
Reaction to Cipro

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Reaction to Cipro

Every time I take Cipro or Levaquin I get a very itchy rash about the size of a silver dollar on the back of my left hand. After I stop taking the medecine  the rash spot will turn black and will not clear until after about a year. I am a fairly health 74 year old man. By the way I also react to Sulfa drugs but the rash is more generalized and not as bothersome.

Is there any significance that with Cipro the rash always appears on the same location?

In the past I have continued taking the medicine despite the rash with otherwise good results. Is this wise or should I discontinue this antibiotic?

If so, can you suggest some good antibiotic alternatives?

Thanks.
It does sound like an allergic reaction, but why on the hand I don't know. Do you hold the pills with the left hand perhaps? Ciprofloxacin and Levaquin (Levofloxacin) are in the same drug class (fluroquinolones). It makes sense that  you would be allergic to both. You probably are allergic to other drugs in the same class such as moxifloxacinI, Ofloxacin, etc. You can tell by the drugs generic name usually (all have floxacin in their name). I would report any allergies to your doctor. What are you taking the antibiotic for a urinary tract infection? A lot of people are allergic to sulfa drugs. It is best for you to ask your doctor what type of antibiotic to switch to. They should be using the correct drug for the correct type of infection and bacteria. It is best if you also consult the doctor to determine if he/she thinks you should go off of the drug or switch.
hope this helps,
mkh9