Allergy Community
Reaction to cold temperature

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Reaction to cold temperature

I took a walk and noticed on the thermometer that the air outside was just below freezing.  I was out for about ten minutes.  Once I came back into my house, I noticed blood rushing into my cheeks, making them hot and itchy.  Then, I noticed a red rash on my cheeks and a lot of small white welts or protrusions. After about 30 minutes, they where almost all gone.
This has only happened to me recently, despite having lived all my life in Colorado.  At first I thought it might have been an allergic reaction to the fibers of my coat, so I washed it, but I still have this reaction.

Perhaps it has something to do with the quick transition between the cold and hot environments?

Also, I noticed that this happens only on my cheeks.  Not my neck, forehead, hands, or ears, which are also exposed to the cold.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this reaction??

bump, anyone???
Hi, welcome to the forum, you are having allergic response to some unknown allergen. The allergens or triggering factors like dust, fog, pollens etc. can cause the precipitation of these symptoms. These symptoms are exaggerated esp. in winter or cold environment.

There is particular neuronal mechanism exists. Whenever you are exposed to allergen there will be release of histamine, this is responsible for raised lesions on skin leading to itching. The order may differ from individuals to individuals.

Also some persons are having allergy to cold water, cold environment etc and develop rash. In this condition you need to protect yourself from cold wind and make use of hot water.

You need to identify such allergen and prevent further exposure. Oral anti histamines and low potency corticosteroids against prescription will help to reduce the symptoms.
I suggest you to consult allergy specialist. Take care and regards.
I have the same problem although mine is very broad. It is as if I'm having a food allergy. Everytime I get cold or exposed to a very cold environment my extrimitiis starting to be very itchy and become swollen. I remember one winter I was working outside in the snow and I had a severe rash with my lips become very swollen. I've been having this for my entire life now and since I moved here in missouri (which gets cold most of the years) it's starting to irritates me. I knew there are people out there who has the same problem with mine so I started googling it. Actually my sister has the same problem too, so I'm kinda thinking it might be genetic.