Allergy Community
Red Wine Allergy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Red Wine Allergy?

Hi-

I have been dealing with this for quite some time now. When I drink red wine that is NEW (bottled within the past year or so), I do not get any allergic reaction. I also tend to have no reaction when I eat food and drink wine.

Here is when I DO have a problem: When the wine has been bottled for several years or it was opened and not finished for a few days/weeks.

Here are my symptoms: I have difficulty breathing, and my throat feels like it is slightly swelling.

The issue is, I can never tell the age of the wine when I'm in a restaurant (even with wine menu's), and I also don't drink an entire bottle of wine each time I open it, so it sits there for a few days and then I get a reaction!

Does anyone have any idea what exactly I might be reacting to in the aged/opened wine?

For now-- I just buy year 2008/2009 wine and drink it within a day, but I would like to know if anyone has ideas!

Thank you