Allergy Community
Red nose/cold nose and flushing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Red nose/cold nose and flushing

Hello.

I am new here and am wondering if someone could help me figure out what is going on with my nose.  For the past month or so, my nose has been turning red from time to time.  I am noticing it more now that the weather is getting cooler.  If I go outside for a walk in the cool evening, my nose will turn red and very warm when I get inside in the warmer temperature.  The cooler the weather outside, the more flushed my nose gets.  

But... when I am in a controlled environment- my nose is freezing to the touch.  My hands and feet also get very cold and sometimes the only way to warming them up is by a warm bath or running hands under warm water.  My hands/feet/nose do not look blue or very white from being cold, but they definitely are hard to warm up.  I have never been diagnosed with Raynaud’s but I do have fibromyalgia.

I am confused... I also have bad allergies and just recently went to the doctor for a very stuffy and painful nose.  My doctor said that my turbinates in my nose are swollen (probably from allergies) and explained that my nose will flush when I come in from the outside due to vasomotor rhinitis from the change of temperature.  He prescribed me 10 days of steroids to help with the inflammartion.  I was thinking that I had rosacea because this has never happened to me before.  The red nose flushing from vasomotor rhinitis makes sense but what is with the cold nose the other times?  I also have nose tingling that comes and goes.

Also, my nose is not red when it is cold.  In fact, it looks pale like the rest of my face.  I also want to add that I have demographic urticaria (when I scratch my skin bright red lines appear).  I also have hot chest flushing which comes and goes.  My doctor said that it is another form of urticaria but she did not specify.

I am so confused here—can anyone help me?  My nose is so fickle and is either very warm or very cold for the most part.  

Thank you so much in advance!