Allergy Community
Red rash on neck, possible cat allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Red rash on neck, possible cat allergy

Hello there.
Hope someone can help, i went to visit my mother in law who has two cats, one very anti social the other very very sociable! He's lovely, when he greets me he climbs up the front of me and rubs his head on me, this time he was trying to get my attention and clawed me (without drawing blood) it did hurt tho! His fur is always molting aswell. Last tine i saw him i must of strokes him then rubbed my eye and woke up with a puffy eye! Not a good look! So anyway... After i went to see my inlaws (friday night) saturday i got up had a shower and everything but shower gel was running low so didnt use it on my neck and used a non perfumed wipe. Sunday morning after buying more shower gel i used it everywhere, sunday night my neck was itchy and red raw! Got my husband to get me some benadryl tablets which stopped the itching. Monday morning no better, went to chemist and got some cream, has gone down a lot but one side of my neck is still rather red and quite dry feeling. Is this an allergy? The pharmacist said i may be allergic to the fur not the cat itself. Any ideas on home treatments or any other suggestions?
Sorry for the essay!
It's actually the cat saliva that has the most allergens.  It's a protein in the saliva.  The fur gets saliva on it.  Dander is easily inhaled, so it can cause problems that way.  Unneutered males have the highest level of the protein.  Individual cats can have higher and lower allergen levels. Siamese cats and siamese mixes can be awful for me.  I can test a cat by getting them to lick me.  A bad one will cause a hive right where I got licked.  Somebody gave me a siamese mix cat that insisted on sleeping on my neck.  I would wake up with hives on my neck.  

Alternatively, unrinsed soap or something in the wipe could have caused the problem.  If you have very oily skin, not washing could cause skin itching also.