Allergy Community
Reoccurring Thrush

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Reoccurring Thrush

I am 58 years old and for the third time in 6 months my mouth has erupted in sores that the doctor says in thrush.  My gum tissues swell and it goes down my throat.  What is going on with me?
Re-occurring thrush is a sign of possible:
immune compromised condition or immuno-suppressant use
uncontrolled diabetes
systemic antibiotic, systemic or inhaled steroid use
dentures
what should i ask my doctor to run to rule out an immune compromised condition ?
Also should say that within the past year have gained 20 pounds  and it shows mainly as abdominal fat.  Could that indicate diabetes?

Recurrent oral thrush indicates a compromised immune system or immunosuppresed state.

You should talk to your doctor and get yourself investigated for blood sugar levels, a complete hemogram and also get your thyroid function and lipid profile checked in view of the weight gain you mention.

Have you noticed any other symptoms? Are you taking any antibiotics or any steroid medication - oral or inhaled etc?

Let us know how you are doing and keep us posted about your reports.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
I also take albuterol inhalant for beginning of emphysema,  The other thing that has shown up in the past year that is unexplained is repeat urinary tract infections and samples always show a moderate read abnormal amount of blood.  I am tired all the time and any extra hours of working at my job seems to send my body into some medical issure such as this thrush infection.  I feel like I have lost who I was and this new person is just to tired to accomplish anything but the basics.  thank you for your suggestions.  when i go to my regular doctor i will ask her about all this and let you know,  thank you for caring.
The recurring thrush and Urinary Tract Infections are a sign of candida/yeast overgrowth in your intestines/body.  Just google candida and see if you think it fits.  The thrush does indicate a compromised immune system, candida overgrowth can compromise your immune system and overload it with toxins.  There are several ways the candida/yeast can overgrow and create imbalance with normal gut flora; and you can see several potential causes as well as treatment (eliminate sugar and yeast products, anti-fungals...) and symptoms when you research it.  Also "The Yeast Connection" is a great book on this subject.

From what you describe this definitely looks to be oral candidiasis and urinary tract infections due to a compromised immune system.

What medications are you taking currently? You need to talk to your physician in detail about this and also try and maintain a healthy diet plan and try to reduce stress factors.

Let us know how you are doing annd if you have any questions.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
i have the same problem iv had thrush five times in the past two months. my doc wants me to see a doc who does autoammune stuff i have wacked out thryroids hashimotes disease. my med were too high for me my thyroid meds so sick of this im making a appointment mon. hope this helps