Allergy Community
Rocephin reaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Rocephin reaction

I went in the doctor's office for a UTI, and was given a shot of Rocephin and another
    prescription.  I did not have any immediate problems, until I walked out of the office when
    my sinus cavities, face began to have sensations.  I went to the ER, and was given Prednisone:
    and two other drugs for four days.  At the time, I was also taking Atenolol: Altace: and Nexium.

However, even a week and one-half later I am still having problems and sensitivity to heat.  Just
    walking outside can start my facial edema; red ears: and purple lips.  My regular doctor took
    me off the Altace, and put me back on the Prednisone; Famotidine: Ciprofloxacin because the
    Rocephin did not kick the UTI or prostitis; and raised my Atenolol to twice a day.

The problem being, everyone says the Rocephin reaction should have ended after a few days,
    but even a week and one-half later I am still having hot flashes; facial edema; purple lips;
    sensations around throat; mouth.  The heat or change of temperature makes it worse.  Showering
    or shaving with warm water can set it off.  The Prednisone really does not seem to be working;
    the only thing that seems to really work is Benadryl, but how long is this going to last?  And
    am I still having a reaction to Rocephin, or did the allergic reaction to Rocephin set something
    else off?

Thank you for your time.
-8 Comments Post a Comment

Rocephine is ceftriaxone. Why were you given the antibiotic? Were you asked to follow up with your doctor?

Have you had allergic reactions in the past? Are you allergic to any specific substances?

The response to medications and resolution of symptoms is variable in case of allergic reactions.

You could take some OTC oral non sedating antihistamine or antiallergic medications like cetrizine or loratadine for your symptoms. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions to help soothe the itching.

In your case, it would be best to ask your doctor for a test dose of the medication before actually giving you the antibiotic. The test dose will help screen out the antibiotics you are possibly allergic too.

Let us know if you have any doubts and post us about how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.