So I'm not a very big drinker at all, but when I do drink I have to make sure to avoid Rum at all costs. I don't know what is going on, but as soon as I drink anything with rum in it my heart really hurts, and so does my back or spine. The pain is REALLY uncomfortable and sometimes it makes it very difficult for me to breathe. It honestly feels like someone is squeezing my heart, and that my spinal cord is being clenched. I was wondering if these seem like symptoms of a rum allergy? But I've never experienced this feeling with any other food or drink, alcoholic or non, and the reaction is pretty quick to follow the first sips of the rum. Very strange...
Thanks for you help!
I have the exact same reaction to rum. I have decided that I am allergic to it, although I have found no medical proof to support it. The symptoms occur only when I drink rum. Also, my reaction to it has gotten worse through the years. It used to just make my arms feel heavy after having a few drinks. Now it actually hurts my neck, arms, and back. The pain is so overwhelming that it is difficult to breathe and I feel like someone is standing on my chest. I avoid drinking it at all cost. Unfortunately, there have been times when I took a shot/drink with rum mixed in (and I was unaware that the drink contained it) and I suffered the consequences. I try to let my friends know so that it doesn't happen. Depending on the amount that I ingest, the feeling can last from 15 minutes to 2 hours.
If you find any additional information on this, I would be very interested to know.
I have the exact same reaction to rum! I am glad to have found other people who experience this because most people think I am crazy when I tell them about it. I get the clenched heart and spine feeling, and lately I have been getting a burning sensation in my upper back on top of all the other symptoms that you mentioned in your post. For a long time it was only just rum, but I have noticed in the past year that if I have any dark alcohol mixed with a sugary beverage, I get the same symptoms. I have been reading about sugar cane allergies, but I do not get the reaction when I have sugar alone. I feel like it is something to do with the sugar and alcohol combination, but I am not sure what. If you have found out any other information about this, please do let me know because I would like to figure this out. The reaction has been scary...even the smallest amount makes me sick and I sometimes I feel like I am almost paralyzed until the pain goes away. Usually, I can almost time the reaction to about 30-45 minutes and then it instantly goes away (and that is just with a small amount by accident as I am very vigilant about not drinking rum). Anyway, I'm sorry that you have to experience this because I know how scary and uncomfortable it is. Keep me posted!
My husband is allergic to beer...actually it's the hops that the beer is made of.
Hubby sneezes sometimes for several hours straight after having a beer...his lungs also fill with fluid from it...he already "died" once from it...yet he continues to drink it...why?
I have known many people that are allergic to certain alcoholic beverages and they go through some pretty nasty symptoms. Two of the people I know get very violent if they drink vodka.
Alcohol is made from several different types of fruits/grains.
You may be allergic to hops, grapes, barley, wheat, rye, etc...if you have a problem when drinking.
In the meantime try to avoid rum...and try eating different types of grains to see which, if any, affect you...then you'll have your answer.
Forgot to mention...sounds like you are describing a heart attack...but since you're alive, I'm going to guess that it causes a panic attack in you for some reason...which allergies can do...so I've heard.
I have a violent reaction to light rum. My stomach feels like knives are slashing it and I get extremely flushed and a massive headache within minutes. After tons of reading up on different ingredients and keeping my other food allergies in mind, I think it has to do with the type of tannin used in the finishing of rum. I don't think light rums are aged the same way, but the one that hurt me (Oronoco) is 'finished' in "Amendam wood". I definitely get headaches from foods/drinks with tannin (but nothing like my rum reaction). So I think this crazy wood has some type of tannin that my body thinks is totally toxic.
I just went through a similar attack. Just had a daquiri that my husband made for me, with rum. I start to get really warm and a bit nauseas. Then my whole right side, from my lower back to my neck, gets so cramped I feel like crying. I just lay on the bed in the fetal position, until it passes. It lasts maybe 15 minutes, but feels like an hour. We just were discussing it, and the 2 times it's happened to me before this, in the past 4 months, have been with a mixed drink, and now I'm pretty sure it's the rum. It's happened in past years, but I usually don't drink anything more than a beer, thank God! What a miserable feeling. I guess I can't do the Captain Morgan stance. :-/
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.