Allergy Community
Running Allergy Attack please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Running Allergy Attack please help

I have had alergy (allergy) shots for a little over 2 years now and I started running about 3 months ago.  My running caused my allergy symptoms to increase but it was very mild and for a short time until about 2 weeks ago.

2 weeks ago my allergy vaccine was renewed and it is much stronger than my expired vaccine.  Now whenever I run I get an allergy fit of sneezing for about 10 minutes after I run.

Then I get a sharp stinging feeling in my upper right nostril that constantly causes me to sneeze.  I have this feeling for 2-3 days and I can't stand it anymore.  I have another 2 weeks before I go into get my next shot so I'm asking for advice here.  I love running but I can't stand having to constantly sneeze for at least two DAYS after I run.  

By the way those 2-3 days the symptoms persist are 2-3 days not running.

Thank you so much for any help.
By the way,

I've tried meds including benedryl, clariten, anf allegra-D.  None of them have worked.
Thanks again.
I have never really experienced allergies until about 2 years and even then, they were very mild and i would only feel them once or twice a year.  2 weeks ago i started running again for the first time in probably 3 years and 1 week into it, I have got the same symptoms you do.  
The only difference is that I have never had sever allergy symptoms before.  About 10 minutes after my run, my nose feels like a needle has been shoved up into my right nostil and i sneeze like crazy and it also lasts for 2 to 3 days.  I went to the doctor the first time it happened and she told me it was a sinus infection and gave me a z-pack.  I went running again today, 4 days after visiting the doctor, and i am once again in misery.  
Let me know if you find out how to prevent this or what it might be.   Thanks
I have also experienced the exact same thing as you maranero! I thought I was the only one until now. I had some allergies when i lived in New England, but when I moved to D.C. I had my first experience with these symptoms when I ran outside in the spring. I was literally bed ridden for 2 days they were so bad. It wasn't until after I stopped running that I just couldn't stop sneezing, my right nostril felt like it was pricked with a pollen needle and my right eye also started to swell a little. Then my nose ran like a faucet for 3 days no matter what decongestent I used. I went to an allergy specialist and he couldn't tell me what it was and suggested I start getting allergy shots- horrible doctor. I assumed it was allergy related and decided not to run outside anymore-however sometimes it woudl happen in the gym as well (there are doors tha tlead outside in the gym so it's possible someone had the doors open. Anyway, now it's December and I had another attack in the gym.....maybe it's another allergy- d.c. tends to make me live with allergies year round. Please post if you find out anything about this- I'm miserable too....and can't go running anymore :(
I have the same thing and thought I was the only one! It started years ago and was only in the winter after running, so I stopped running in the winter...but now it happens in the spring and fall too. It even happens randomly at the gym sometimes. Its awful because after the sneezing fit I feel like I have a severe head cold with an annoying tickle in my nose for the rest of the day and it really impairs my life. Isn't there anything we can do? sometimes I take zyrtec the night before I am planning on running but it doesn't always work.

Help! I really don't want to curb my exercise during 3 out of 4 seasons.
I can't believe I found this posting on here, I have the exact same symptoms.  After I run in cold weather I get home and sneeze non-stop for hours.  My left nostril has this painful, tickling sensation that causes it to drip like a faucet and makes me sneeze.  It almost feels like there is something stuck up there irritating it.  I have tried rinsing my sinuses out after a run using a saline aerosol, but it doesn't help.  If this many people are afflicted with this exact same problem, there must be some sort of explanation and/or treatment.  Do you live in an urban area?  I live in NYC and thought perhaps it was caused by running along busy roads and breathing in car fumes and dust.  If any doctor is reading this, please help!
We have exercise induced rhinitis. Some people produce to much histamine when they exercise ( this only happens to me after a intense workout). I tried allergra, benadryl, claritin ect.. nothing worked. I finally saw a allergist yesterday and was given some samples to try. Guess what? I found my cure!! I just got done w/a 4 mile run and the allergy symptoms began. The sneezing and runny nose can last up to 3 days! My allergist gave me a sample of "Astrepro" nasal spray and it made the symptoms stop in about 5 mins after taking it! Give it a try, maybe it will be your cure as well. I am jumping for joy and wanted to share my find :)
WOWWW I can't believe I found you guys with the same problems. I have been running and exercising constantly for about 3 years now, but I stopped for about 4-5 months. I wasn't as intense in my running and workouts. I have no problem running at the gym. When I run at a high intensity in the park I get them. But this never happened to me before. I was always running outside in all of the 4 seasons. Now after I finish running outside the same symptoms happen. I went to the doctor last week and he gave my a nasal spray, but it is not working. I don't know what to do. Oh btw I can walk or cycle outside and I don’t get it. I live in Texas.
I have the exact same symptoms.  It started out in the winter months when I ran and now it's all the time!  I also had the attack in the gym which made no sense to me.  I try to hold in that first sneeze because I know what's coming for the next few days, which btw never worked. Again, like the rest of you, no allergy medicine can touch the symptoms.  I truly THANK Coppertop for the diagnosis and cure.  Do I have to go to the doctor to get a prescription or can I get it over the counter from the pharmacy?  I want to go today!
Hi, it typically suggests allergic rhinitis which is exaggerated or precipitated during cold season or timing. This condition is sometimes associated with asthma.  

The triggering factors like dust, fog, pollens etc. can cause the precipitation of these symptoms. From your history it is clear that you may be allergic to pollen. During running, you may be exposed to such allergens. Change of place can help.

A careful nasal examination, Allergen-specific testing includes Skin testing, Serum tests for allergy, Allergen challenge and as well as Evaluation for concurrent conditions like Sinusitis and Asthma is necessary and it directs further steps for management.
You need to take measures to avoid exposure to such allergens. You can try sleeping with windows closed, which will avoid exposure to aero-allergen in the morning.

It should be differentiated from vasomotor rhinitis and Atrophic rhinitis for which consult ENT specialist. Take care and regards.
All- I have just started getting these symptoms.  It's ridiculous.  I would sneeze about 100 times after a nighttime run before going to sleep with a running nose.  I told my wife to stop saying "god bless you" because I would not stop.  I'm going to ask about Astepro and really hope it works.  Thanks for the lead.  Has anyone here had success with over the counter nasal sprays??
Hello!  I started running this week and both times after running I experienced the same symptoms of sneezing, watery eyes, itchy nose and runny nose.  I am so thankful I found this article!  I want to continue running so I need to find relief.  Anyone who has found relief and wants to help me out with letting me know, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you!
Thank goodness I found this.  Have exercised my whole life indoors and out and never experienced this until last month.  It took a while for me to figure out this only happens when I run outside in the cold.  Benadryl helps but makes me very sleepy during the day.  Or I'll just suffer with the blowing and burning sensation until bedtime when I can take the Benadryl.  Will call my doctor on Monday to get a nasal spray.  I was truly ready to give up running outside so thank you coppertop.
Thank You coppertop1027 for the information about Astrepro!!!! I am a 40 year old female and I have been running consistently since I was 15. I married my husband in 2001 and since, we have completed countless 1/2 and full marathons together, trained and participated in a number of sprint, olympic and 1/2 Ironmans and eventually a full Ironman. 15 years of intense exercise (mostly running) and no issues until last last year (Christmas Eve) when I went for a 6 mile run and right after (as I was stretching/cooling down) I got a crazy tickle up the left side of my nose and sneezed violently for an hour or so and then was consumed with sinus infection symptoms for about 3 days. This is how the majority of them have begun with the tickle up my nose, favoring a different side of my nose each time. It has been almost a year since my first attack and I have had 13 attacks since after running only. I also do spin and boot camp but these attacks only occurred after running. In the last 2 months there were 5. Most lasted 3 days (just as you all posted) but early during the month of November, I had an attack after a run and never quite got better, went to the doctor (finally) was put on a 10-day antibiotic (had been put on Z-Pack before as well) where I didn't even start to feel better until the last day of the antibiotic which was Thanksgiving only to go for a short run a few days after and again have an attack. This all lasted 22 days. Probably had something else going on as my infection got so bad my top front teeth hurt and my gums itched...I was miserable! I really think that I possibly made my symptoms worse as I have learned that you CAN make it worse by taking the wrong medications and too much of them at the same time. After doing a LOT of research and then speaking to a client friend (who has since set me an appointment with an ENT) who suggested a more preventative form of treatment until I could be seen, I tossed everything I had been using and began a regime of Zyrtec and NasalCrom. I have had a few attacks since I started this regimen 2 weeks ago but the initial attacks have not nearly been as bad and the duration of the symptoms thereafter were far less painful. I am very curious as to why this has started to happen to me out of nowhere. The time and place has no favoritism. I have had an attack while running outside in the winter cold air, in damp air, in mid summer, indoors on a treadmill and even in other states and out of the country....I am baffled and only hope that when I finally get in to see the ENT, that she is able to help me understand what is behind this issue that has hindered my favorite (and sometimes only) outlet of stress relief and form of exercise. So crazy to find so many of you have the same issue!!! Good luck everyone and I will be sure to post again after my appointment and hope to offer more helpful advise. I will also add that (for me) using the neti pot only further irritated my nasal cavity. Blowing your nose can also make matters worse. During one of my attacks a few weeks ago, when I decided to toss everything and just let my body do what it needed to do, I just let my nose run. I went through 2 mega rolls of TP in 4 hours but I just let it run. At one point, I stuffed my nostrils with TP (my kids looked at me like I was nuts) but life doesn't stop when you are on the move :-) I kept my lips and the outer skin of my nose lubricated as the constant tissue rubbing makes your nose raw and breathing out of your mouth because breathing in and out of your nose during this time is so painful, your lips get so dry. Humidifiers are helpful while you sleep during these times and there IS a water soluble form of Vaseline that is safe for you to use both on the outside of your nose as well as inside of your nasal cavity (applied with a Q-tip) before a run (especially in cold air). Just a few tips that have helped me cope throughout this ordeal :-) I abstained from running a lot over the the months Sept-Dec but found that my current regime has helped dramatically. I ran 8 miles this morning in the cold damp air and did NOT have an attack. If not for the fact that my husband and I are participating in Ragnar~Miami to Key West this Feb with 10 friends, I might not be so willing to risk a run that, for the past year, has made me so miserable afterwards but we carry on :-) Good Luck everyone!! Thanks for all the advise, I will be asking my specialist about Astrepro and hope to continue on a path of symptom free exercise. Happy Running!!!!

I just read all above comments and am dealing with the same.  I am curious if any of the females started having these symptoms after pregnancy?  I have jogged/ran outside since I was 23, I am now 33 and began having the mentioned symptoms 9 months after having my son and beginning my running routine again. I never have issues when outdoors and not exercising. I am currently taking Zyrtec D and it helped the first day a month ago, and now I am back to the same issues.
Just wondering. I will most likely be seeing my DR this week to find out what can be done. Glad to have found this feed.  Also, anyone else found the Astrepro to be of help?