Allergy Community
SYMPTOMS OF STRANGLING AND COUGHING TO THE POINT OF GAGING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I  FEEL LIKE IM STRANGLED LIKE SOMETHINGS IN MY THROAT THEN I START  COUGHING AND GAGING LIKE I WANT TO THROW UP BUT NOTHING EVER COMES UP AND THIS EPISODE CAN LACT ANYWHERE FROM 10 MINUTES UP TO AN HOUR AND IT HAPPENS SEVERAL TIMES A DAY ITS VERY ANNOYING AND SCARY CAUSE IT FEELS LIKE IM GONNA STRANGLE TO DEATH CAUSE I HAVE A FEELING OF LOOSING MY BREATH. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHATS GOING ON WITH ME? I DO HAVE ACID REFUX AND SINUS/ALLERGIES THAT I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH SEVERAL YEARS AND NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE. PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN OFFER ME ANY SOLUTIONS OR ADVICE  I WOULD BE VERY THANKFUL.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Cough, chest tightness and breathlessness the three symptoms mentioned by you are the triad of symptoms for Asthma. It is usually triggered by allergens. It is a disease affecting the lungs causing narrowing of the airways, usually due to an allergic reaction to triggering factors. Therapy is with bronchodilators which cause the airways to dilate. Have yourself evaluated for the same. This can be detected by a spirometry test. In the meantime take OTC acetaminophen if there is fever, try to take warm oral fluids and do steam inhalations prior to your meals. This helps to loosen up and bring out the secretions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.