Salt allergy/intolerance - Please help
Hello all,

Whenever I eat any food with even small quantities of salt , I experience chest tightness, increased heart beat, pressure in the head, and anxiety. I have been having these symptoms for many years but only recently I found that it was happening because of salt.

If I eat a boiled potato nothing would happen. But if I add some salt to the potato and eat it then within minutes (5 or 10 minutes), I experience the above symptoms.

I tried regular table salt and also Redmond Real Salt but the results were same. I am going to try Himalayan salt crystals.

I get the same symptoms whenever I eat any food containing soy. I am able to avoid soy from my diet. But salt is a required mineral. I do not know what to do.  

I still didn't check with a doctor because my current insurance plan does not cover much.

You should try to avoid substances that you have documented allergies to.

You could also consult an allergy specialist and get yourself tested for food allergies.

Nothing can be said with surety without a proper clinical examination and certain investigations.

Till then you should keep oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications at hand for use in case of a sudden flare up of symptoms.

Have you had allergic reactions in the family?

Let us know what your doctor advises.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.