Allergy Community
Seasonal Allergies (I need help/advice)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Seasonal Allergies (I need help/advice)

This year my allergies have been out of this world! I usually get the seasonal allergies around the month of Aug/Sept and they last a month or so and I may have a bit of it in the spring. This year I have been dealing with allergies since I think maybe June or something and it's still going on and it's worse than ever! First it was my eyes bothering me all of the time that I couldn't even wear contacts and then the sneezing and running nose. Now my eyes don't bother me as much anymore but my nose is itching like crazy and I'm sneezing. Also my skin! It itches like crazy! It comes in spurts and lasts for a few days. And even goes away for a while completely.. like a week or so... it's very sporadic. I'm just itchy. I call it the "itchy, itch yah yahs" I have itches in various places all over my body and it drives me bonkers! Not to mention it can cause my mood to get very irritable throughout the day just from itching so much. It's like as soon as I scratch here, there's another spot that itches.. scratch that.. few seconds later it's somewhere else on my body itching from head to toe. My daughter has been suffering from eczema for a few years and I do not have eczema but I do know what she's going through with the itching, maybe not as bad because I do not scratch until I bleed and she has done that many times. Usually if I scratch the area normally.. the itch in that particular spot goes away but shortly after another place on my body is itching and needing scratched. What I'm wanting to know is what can be done about this? I know there are a ton of allergy meds out there over the counter. I'm wondering what the best one would be for me to take?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Looks like your allergic responses are causing rash, Allergic Rhinitis & Allergic Conjunctivitis. Consult an allergy specialist. First he may do a blood IgE levels to see if they are raised. Next, he will do skin testing. This test is painless, in which a very small amount of certain allergens are pricked into the surface of your skin. If you have allergies, just a little swelling will occur where the allergen was introduced.  Reactions occur within about 15 minutes.  If needed more sensitive intradermal tests will be used in which a small amount of allergen is injected within the skin. Based on this he may plan for immunotherapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.