Allergy Community
Severe reaction to hair dye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Severe reaction to hair dye

I dyed my hair 3 weeks ago and have had a string of reactions on my head and neck which have become progressively worse. Firstly i had a small rash around my hair line and on my scalp which was a little itchy but two days after this my whole face had swollen. My doctor prescribed me steroids to ease the swelling and flucloxacillin aswell as antihistamines however the  rash has not subsided.It has spread onto my face and neck and a small patch has appeared on my arm. It used to weep moderately especially in the warmth but it has now reached the point where it is dripping constantly and i am at a loss for what to do. After a second trip to the doctors i have now been taking fenofexadine, ethromycin and flucloxacillin for a week and applying eurax cream but the symptoms continue to get worse. now i want to end the constant itching and weeping! Can anyone give me any advice at all on this matter? help please

You seem to be having acute allergic contact dermatitis. Para-Phenylenediamine (PPD) is an ingredient found in most hair dyes and colors and it can cause severe dermatitis of skin and swelling of the face and mucus membranes.

Treatment of this includes application of Burrow’s or silver nitrate solution,lukewarm water baths,oatmeal baths,topical and systemic steroids ,antihistaminics,emollients to moisturize skin and antibiotics in cases of secondary infection.

I sincerely advise you to take an opinion from a dermatologist and discuss these options with him.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries.

where can i find silver nitrate solution? is it a cream? and i used E45 on it last night and its not as swollen today. thanks for the help.

Silver salts have antiseptic properties.Silver nitrate solution that is used for acute allergic contact dermatitis is usually in the strength of 25.5%.However you should use silver nitrate solution only after a prescription of a dermatologist as it is not without side effects. Silver nitrate is toxic and corrosive . Short contact can lead to deposition of black silver stains on the skin.so use is to be done only after consulting a dermatologist.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

thanks. im gonna go back to the docs that'l be the seventh time!
i think my doctor is puzzled to why it got infected because i was/am
taking my meds correctly.
I am sorry for your current situtation.  I am very empathetic, since I had the same happen to me.  I was given the steriods same as you, and I had been standing in the warm shower to help relieve me of itch and uncomfortable situationh all toghether only to find out I was making it worse.  I would keep the blow dryer, on cool and blow dry my hair to keep it from oozing.  It felt gross dry, but eventually It helped.  I must warn the recovery of this reaction took me about six months total.  When bathing, I would fill the tub with oatmeal powder and soak my head, then dry dry dry.  I hope this helps you.  If you are insistant on dying your hair, as I am, you should try a product from Saba Botanicals, it is a henna, it is messy but it works for me.  I love it.  Good Luck and feel better soon.