Allergy Community
Sharp stomach pains

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Sharp stomach pains

I wonder if anyone can help. I was diagnosed with a milk allergy when I was a toddler. I am now 22. When growing up I did not have any problems with drinking milk or having dairy products. In the last 1-2 years I have been getting unbelievable sharp pains in my stomach that start off small and get extremely painful. These pains last a couple of second and then I get an upset stomach almost immediately. The only thing I can associate this with is a milk allergy as this is what seems to set it off. Although it is difficult for me to pin point the problem. Do you feel this is something to worry about or should I just say away from milk. Many thanks
Thanks for writing to the forum!
You could either be having food allergy or lactose intolerance. In all probability you had lactose intolerance because adverse effects of lactose intolerance occur at much higher milk consumption than adverse effects of milk allergy. Please refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_allergy
You need to get a food allergy test done. Also you need to determine whether you have lactose intolerance or not.
The other possibility is that you have irritable bowel syndrome. You could also be having gluten allergy.
A gastroenterologist will be able to help you out. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!