Allergy Community
Silicone nosepad allergy????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Silicone nosepad allergy????

I recently had the nosepads on my glasses changed to a silicone type.  They  are softer and more comfortable.  I've noticed the bridge of my nose is very itchy, my nose has been runny, and my eyes water alot.  Could this mean I'm allergic to the nosepads?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The itchiness could be due to contact dermatitis, that is exposure to an irritant like a chemical or metal or anything you are allergic to, it can cause itchiness and rash. Also if you are prone for allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis, they could be triggered by the allergen. You could avoid the allergen and see if symptoms improve. The diagnosis of allergy is difficult to prove or refute. Clinical suspicion and trial of elimination are used. An allergy specialist might be able to help you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.