Allergy Community
Sinus problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Sinus problems

Hi,I live in India and having sinus problems...winter aggravates it and I will not be able to take any cold drink, icecream, pickles. Whereas in summer, I have no problem of sinus and can take all cold drinks, icecream etc. I was in Singapore for the last 2 years and I was able to take all cold drinks, icecream throughout the year and had no effect of sinus at all. Ofcourse the climate in Singapore is dry all year and no pollution. Now, I'm back in India and facing the same problems with sinus all over again. what is the reason?. Is it pollution?. How does winter affect and worsens sinus?. Is there a permanent cure for sinus? Thanks. Rajiv

There are many causes of sinusitis.Some of the common and important ones are infection,allergies to dust, pollen, pet dander; indoor air pollutants, such as cigarette smoke;outdoor air pollutants,excessive dryness in homes and offices from air-conditioning systems,nasal conditions such as tumors, polyps or a deviated septum,dehydration,hormone changes and stress.

The most common way to get rid of a stuffy nose is to use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever) like Ibuprofen. However, you should not use decongestants for more than 5-7 days at a time. Avoid indigestible, spicy, foods and meats. Eat simply or wholesome food. Obtain needed out-of-door exercise, sunbaths, and swimming.Also keep your head end elevated while lying down and drink plenty of hot liquids. It can also be treated using an antihistamine nasal spray. Antihistamine works by blocking your immune system's response to the allergen.

Symptoms can also be relieved by using a nasal spray that contains corticosteroids. Corticosteroids work by helping to reduce inflammation and congestion.

The golden rule for chronic stuffy nose is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water, helps to ease your symptoms of catarrh.

These remedies should work for you. If the symptoms still persist then pls consult an ENT specialist and get the nasal conditions which I have mentioned ruled out.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.