Smelling Cigarette Smoke in No Smoke House
This is really frustrating.  I have never smoked, but I've always been able to detect the "smell" of smoke in hallways, vigorously cleaned hotel rooms, rental cars, etc.  I live alone in a house on a large lot (no neighbors close by) with sealed windows...AC on this summer.  For the last month, I have smelled cigarette smoke in my house.  I'm retired, I go out only a few times a week for groceries and errands.  There's been no one in  my car or house who smoked, and the street and neighbors are quite a distance away.  Two years ago I visited my sister who had pledged to smoke only on her patio (for the sake of the grandkids), yet at night she would light up in bed for two quick puffs.  The smell would raise me from my sleep two floors and half a house away...I know the smell.   I don't know why I am so sensitive to the smell.  More importantly, right now, I can't figure out why I smelling it in my smoke-free house.  What the heck is going on?  
Hi, understand your anxiety.  Your symptoms of smelling something which is not present  could be due to olfactory hallucinations. Any infection or blockage in your nose can cause you to smell something that is not there. Phantosmia most often occurs as a result of a head injury or upper respiratory infection. It can also be caused by temporal lobe seizures, sinusitis, brain tumors, migraine, Parkinson's disease and stroke. You may need proper evaluation by your GP, please consult him for a neurological assessment. He may then refer you to a neurologist if needed. Regards.