Allergy Community
Sneezing, Coughing, Wheezing???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Sneezing, Coughing, Wheezing???

I get worried and I don't know why well maybe because different doctors have drilled it into my head that I could have an autoimmune disease (although it was ruled out by an array of blood tests). Anyway, it could be coincidence or not but we recently began to use the furnace and I have noticed recently (being colder at night) that I have been coughing sometimes and wheezing. Now I do sneeze a lot, I have always had morning sneezes but I have been getting them here and there. My wheezing is always there even when I leave the house...it is not a big wheez just a slight one.

Anyway the coughing I do not notice nor do I notice myself sneezing while out and about. I just wondered if it could be that people get allergies from the furnace being turned on and if wheezing comes along with it? Scares me to death the symptoms. The cardiologist noticed my slight wheezing when I was there a week ago. He didn't say much about it though. (I have tachycardia, low blood pressure and the blood is pooling into my legs - in which is why I see a cardiologist). I do have other symptoms but they I am told are from my cerebellar ptosis.

So am I worried about this coughing (not much), wheezing (a lot), and sneezing (sometimes) for nothing? Doctors don't seem to be concerned when I tell them.
I would recommend that you have your air ducts cleaned.  Air ducts harbor all kinds of allergens, irritants, mold, bacteria...  

Also, the drier air from the furnace could be irritating your air passages.

You are always entitled to request a second opinion.  You might want to schedule an apointment with a different primary care provider and see what they say about the wheezing and your other symptoms.  Many people have a "wheeze" without having ashtma.  

Feel better.
I have  noticed upon waking up in the morning or middle of the night that I have this feeling of dryness! I can't hardly breath the air is so dry. I have to go wet my hands and use lotion. My mom used to get this when I lived with my parents - when the furnace was on. I hope that makes sense (especially the hardly breath part - it is like when you are talking you skip some words or they come out about half...I have had that then I tell my husband when he looks at me weird - dry!! Lol. I just wonder if we also need a humidifier, would that help?
p.s. thank you!
Yes, a humidifier could help.  Just make sure that it is one that will regulate the humidity in your home.  I can't remember the optimum levels right now, but you don't want to promote mold growth with a humidity that is too high.  That could cause other issues.

Feel better.
Thanks. I will try that then. :)
Hi, welcome to the forum. It is quite important to rule out the cause of the cough, at the same time exacerbating factors, such as exposure to environmental tobacco smoke, dust etc. In your case it might be furnace.  It should be pointed out and further exposure should be avoided. The type of cough in his case suggests cough dominant asthma. This may be seen in association with the factors like cold air, sleep, or allergens.

You may need to undergo certain tests like allergen test, spirometry etc. Treatment includes cough suppressants, a trial therapy with bronchodilators which will help to relieve wheezing symptoms, avoiding triggering factors, and available home remedies like use of honey and echinacea.

I suggest you to consult physician specialized in respiratory medicine for evaluation and prescription and above drugs. Take care and regards.