Allergy Community
Sodium Benzoate vs. other benzo-

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Sodium Benzoate vs. other benzo-

I have for years suffered from eczema and psoriasis with random flare ups particularly on my face and without ever coming to much of a conclusion of what the cause was. I stay away from anything with fragrance, nail polishes, certain mascaras, certain toothpastes, and sunscreen bothers my skin so much too. I also have had an episode which resulted in trouble breathing and hives from consuming a smoothie which I later found out included the preservatives: sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. Yesterday my skin was freaking out again and I hadn't changed any of the products I had been using. But, much of the irritation was around my mouth which brought me to look at foods I had recently been eating. I made the connection that perhaps the preservatives of the smoothie I reacted to were in the ham or cheese or fig newtons I had just recently added to my diet. Fig newtons contained both sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. I continued to look at the ingredents of various products which have irritated me in the past and found sodium benzoate to be present in nearly all of them. The nail polish which has bothered me, however did not list sodium benzoate but rather benzophenone-1. So my question is: If I am indeed allergic to sodium benzoate am I also allergic to other chemicals such as benzophenone that also contain benzo- (i don't know the chemistry of it). Do you know of any particular chemicals to avoid which are likely related? Can you recommend a sunscreen that would be non irritating for someone who likely is allergic to such preservative chemicals? Thank you!
My family recently had an experience with a children sore throat remedy made by "Little Colds" Honey Elixir. My 3yr old has a rash develope over her entire face but breathing was fine and we gave her an antihistamine and the swelling and redness slowly subsided.  She has had honey before and the only other ingredient was sodium benzoate as preservative. I think she may have a similar reaction to yours. Have your found any other foods that cause you irritation? Have you found any literature about this specific allergy?
Hi, the probabilities of skin manifestations are Atopic dermatitis, Contact dermatitis, sweat dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis and drug reaction.

Stinging insects, Aeroallergens (uncommon), Foods and additives like Milk, egg, peanuts, nuts, soy, and wheat are the most common agents to cause generalized urticaria in adults. One can have 2 or multiple allergens in their daily life. Hence, you can be allergic to Sodium Benzoate and benzophenone-1. You can go for skin testing to know the allergens. Maintain a diary of things you are allergic to.

During attack, corticosteroids with oral anti-histaminics against prescription, this may help to alleviate these symptoms. I suggest you to consult a dermatologist. Take care and regards.
So...
I am pretty convinced that anything with an ingredient that has 'benz' in it is going to encourage my skin to flare up. This includes drinking sodas (nearly all except for plain coke or pepsi contain sodium benzoate) or other artificially flavored drinks, some lunchmeats, certain dried fruits, or soft snack foods. I'm now that nerd in the grocery store who carefully studies the ingredients before buying anything, and it has paid off. Along with foods, there are the cosmetic things that irritate....the main ingredient in most sunscreens is something or other 'benz', lots of soaps and moisturizers (my dermatologists throughout the years never understood why super hypoallergenic cetaphil bothered me...it has benz in it), as well as certain shampoos/conditioners. Basically...anything that smells good (I stay away from fragrances as they have also been associated with irritation of my skin) or tastes fake fruity.

I've been tested for those normal things that Dr. Rajput noted...no issues there for me.

I really haven't found much literature on this, sadly
'Benz'oates = bad news!  I have also found BHT ([E321] Butylated HydroxyToluene) to be bad news.  Benzene (benzoate) and toluene are solvents and likely cause 'holes' in the digestive tract allow various toxins, bacterial fragments into the blood stream causing an autoimmune response.
After eliminating benzoates and BHT, I am much healthier with my two other autoimmune afflictions and I suspect it drives my psoriasis too.

These two preservatives are in most soda pops, wheat snacks, processed cheese, and RealLemon juice. The effect of one exposure to these preservatives lasts 3-4 weeks.

Now I look at all product labels for solvent type chemicals in foods and skin lotions since the skin is Porous.