Allergy Community
Splenda/Sucralose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Splenda/Sucralose

Surprised I don't see more posts about this, but I guess not many people have problems with it...

A few years ago, I had started having major stomach problems. I was getting sick, weak, bloated, having heart palpitations, severe heartburn, had no appetite and had lost 22 pounds in less than two weeks...at one point I ended up in the ER with severe dehydration. I couldn't figure out what was going on as I had been drinking plenty of fluids.

I went to my doctor, he wasn't much help. Just gave me a prescription for stomach meds (which, incidentally, gave me insomnia).

Anyway, I figured it had to be something I was eating that was causing some sort of food allergy. So, I stopped eating a lot of foods that I thought might be causing it, but was still having problems. I couldn't figure it out.

Then I realized I had been drinking Propel for about the same time I had been having the problems. So, I looked at the ingredients, and saw Sucralose. I did some research and found that many other people were having similar problems, so I figured it had to be the sucralose or the high concentrations of maltodextrin that sucralose has in it. I stopped drinking the Propel and started getting better within a few days.

But now I have to be very careful of what I eat. A lot of things that aren't advertised as "diet" or "sugar free" or "low sugar" contain sucralose. Case in point, I suffer from GERD and use antacids a lot. I started taking Pepcid Complete, and the symptoms actually started getting worse. So, I read the label, and - lo and behold - it has sucralose in it. Even if I take one of the Pepcid Completes, I have issues for days.

I even have to check the ingredients of the medications I take. Any amount of sucralose sets my gastrointestinal system in disarray.

So, that's my story...has anyone had similar issues with sucralose?