I have a 13 year old daughter and all of the sudden she is having stomach cramps after eating fresh pineapple. I was just curious if this is common and why would it all the sudden occur? This has happened twice in the last couple of months and she was smart enough to link the cramps to eating fresh pineapple. Could you help me to understand this new allergy? Thanks!
My husband and I had slices of a fresh pineapple last Wednesday and we have both been suffering with stomach cramps since. We have had fresh pineapple before with no problems. Could you tell us if this is a common problem with fresh pineapple? Can you suggest anything to help with the stomach cramps which come and go? Thank you
There could be a couple of causes of the symptoms you are having including - gastritis due to the pineapples being washed in contaminated water by the fruit seller ; food poisoning due to ingestion of some chemicals or substances along with the pineapple; etc.
You should take some over the counter antispasmodic medications like - mefenemic acid, buscopan, etc and also some antinausea, antireflux medications and see if it helps with your symptoms.
Consult your doctor if the symptoms still persist.
Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.
Hi, I did a search of 'pineapple stomach ache' and this discussion has come up as a result. Did you ever find out what it was with your daughter? I have exactly the same thing and it's definitly not a coincidence. Almost exactly an hour after eating pineapple I get a stomach ache. Is it an allergy or just maybe too acidic for me?
I have the same problem with pineapple. I was being rechecked for allergies recently and brought this matter up with my allergist. He checked to see if I was allergic to pineapple and the test was negative. That explains why I can eat canned pineapple, just not fresh or frozen. We are planning a trip to Hawaii in a few months...is there any over the counter medicine I can take to prevent this abdomial (abdominal) pain as a result of eating fresh pineapple? I tried Tums, they do not work.
I have the same problem (suffering right now, as a matter of fact!) and for me it's an enzyme issue. That's probably why some people can tolerate canned or cooked over frozen. The canning and cooking kills the enzymes present in the fresh pineapple. I've done a number of fresh pineapple juice fasts and I'm fine with ONLY pineapple. If there is anything else in my digestive system it's painful for me. So, just my observations in case it helps anyone.
It's likely the Bromelain enzyme in the Fresh Pinapple that is causing the reaction. Processes or canning the pineapple breaks down that enzyme s you can eat the canned variety or drink the processed pineapple juice without the reaction.
I am too having this now. Severe stomach distress bloating as if needles and knived are shoved in every inch of my stomach from top to bottom. The pineapple is part of the cactus family containing the enzyme bromelaine. This, apparently, causes hell with some people. It is now 36 hours later and I am still in agony. Not even morphine has helped. Never again will I eat a single inch of pineapple. Never
I have this problem too! I first noticed it in my late teens; pineapple juice caused the stomach cramps, but I could eat tinned pineapple cooked with food. Later I discovered fresh pineapple caused the same reaction, and in my 30's I developed the same reaction to tinned pineapple too. Alas, pineapple and chicken was always one of my favourite dishes. Thanks for your explanation Shue22!
I've been having almost exactly the same problem for the past 5-6 years, being 34 now, and still not sure why there was no disturbance in digestion before that and which substance of/on pineapple started causing this!????
I don't have any similar problem with other food, nor the gastritis or abscess!!
This explanation: "gastritis due to the pineapples being washed in contaminated water by the fruit seller or food poisoning due to ingestion of some chemicals or substances along with the pineapple" sounds most probable in my case cause in my medical history of irritations I have: rash caused by laundry softener in early childhood, periodical light diarrhea after eating stone leek and water-melons (probably treated with to much pesticides) during past 2 years, one jaw spasm and strong head pressure incident after eating typical noodles with meat and vegetables dish in Chinese restaurant!!!
If only food sellers would give us info about what chemicals exactly they use to treat the goods!!!!
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.