Strange Symptoms: Allergic to Beer?
I am a 24 year old male, and I've always loved to have an occasional beer with dinner. About 8 or 10 months ago, though, I started getting ridiculous hangovers (extended vomiting, headaches, etc.), after having only 3 or 4 beer. (These symptoms would never occur, however, until around 9am the next day.) So, I switched to rum and whisky, and the sickness stopped happening. Over the past couple of weeks, I've been testing my luck again, trying one beer on occasion, and nothing happened. So, two nights ago, I shared about 3 or 4 glasses of draught with some friends, and at about noon yesterday I quickly broke out in a strange skin rash -- 100's of small red spots (like small blood blisters) from my shoulders to my knees. They are still there today, although it's not getting much worse now (I've been taking an antihistamine, and I'm awaiting the results of a blood test).

Are these normal occurences? I suspect I might be allergic to something in the beer as it digests... But, I have noticed that these weird things have only occurred when I'm drinking domestic (Canadian) beer, while imported European beers have never yet affected me like that... Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! Are there different ingredients that might be doing this? I really hope I there something I can do...
Just learning here what has caused my problems for years. I thought it was the beer but then thought I have just become a week drinker. I'm 45 and love beer. I drink the cheap stuff mostly like MGD or BUD Lite.
Symptoms:
- sick the following day and typically bed ridden
- massive headache
- itchy palms
- teeth and jaw aching
- can't fall asleep easily
- wake up with increased heart rate during the night
- wake up at 5 or 6 am following morning
- vomit 16 hours after start drinking
- feel pain for a couple days
I am going to start testing tonight! Going to watch Monday Night Football - Bears vs. Vikings - and will enjoy a couple German beers. Probably will go with Guiness (my favorite) and will see if it helps. If not I will hate life tomorrow. I will try to see if this helps before seeing a doctor to see if I am allergic to yeast, sulphites, high fructose corn syrup, glutten, etc. After the Guiness test I will want to test further. I might try appricots another day to see how I feel, but wanted to know if ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A HOME TEST PLAN? to validate certain allergies?
For me I will follow:
- DAY 1 - 3 Guiness beers
.......if all goes well......
- DAY 2 - appricots
- DAY 3 - breads or yeast foods???????
- DAY 4 - glutten foods????????
Maybe we can come up with a good plan for others to try.
Step one complete and passed -

1) had 3 guiness and felt perfect the next day. Decided to try again the following night with same results. Had 4 Guiness a few days later and only had a slight headache that didn't last long the next morning - but I would attribute that to the 3 White Russians :)

2) ......now I need to find me some apricots.

3) ......need to find out what foods are high in gluten
Hi. Beer is full of gluten, the grains used to make beer ie. Barley, wheat may be why you are suffering. Meaning if you have a gluten intolerance (cealiac disease) I always drank beer heavily on a night out, and suffered severley for the next few days with what I just thought was a hangover. After feeling unwell for over a year, cause unknown, I underwent a endoscopy and had bloods taken, for what I beleived was acid reflux (which I do suffer) blood results suggest coeliac disease, which after reading up on it made total sense. I'm now 2 days into a gluten free diet (including NO BEER). Changes may take weeks to show, if they ever do, and years for my small intestine to heal. Hope this helps :)
after drinking bud light I get bumps on my back and my hands swell up which then make them itch from the inside so intense that they then peel. Has anyone had this problem?
After drinking bud light I get bumps all over my back and my fingers swell itch from the inside then peel. Has anyone had this problem?
Hi, I am 3 8 yr old female. I too have been drinking beer for yrs.on occassion, with absolutely no problem. Since last year, I noticed prolonged and more severe hangover symptoms shortly after having beer. I admittly keep consuming beer in hopes that I am wrong. However, I think I am pretty certain to be allergic. I  actually sometimes just smell a beer and loose control of my bowels. I get stiff, headache, face flushing, hoarse the next day, and feel congested. These symptoms come on sudden, or quite naturally the next day. I love a cold beer, so I make excuses, so that I can enjoy a beer. I just dont want to believe that Iam allergic? Nor, have I shared this with anyone, its kinda embarrasing. I guess I should tell a doctor, but then I will have to perhaps hear the words,"why drink it then"? too weird. hmmmm
Ha - then why do you drink it then?....... sorry, I couldn't help it. I'm sure you are like me and like the taste. What worked for me was to change from the American crap beers to German due to the fact they can only use barley, hops, and water. Although I now only drink Guiness and love its taste, its not for everyone. I would suggest a German pilsener like Jever, maybe going to a Binny's or a Woodman's or anyplace that has a good selection. Do what I did and start your trial and error - I bet you'll find something you can drink.
2 Guiness - no problem the next day
4 Guiness - no problem
6 Guiness - no problem
9 Guiness - no problem whatsoever.

Guiness ....... it does a body good.
sometimes it's not the beer itself, but the preservatives they use. The reaction you have may be to a sulphur sensitivity as sulphur is used in preservatives.
many European beers dont use preservatives, such as heineken or becks
I've been drinking for a while and recently started getting allergic reactions when I drink Budweiser, Bud light, all Bud beers, Michelob ultra, Mickeys, and just about every cheap beer that comes in 40 oz. Every time I would drink these beers I would break out in red spots on my chest, neck, arms, and my face would turn red. I would also have difficulty breathing.  I told a doctor what had happened, the doctor told me that I may be allergic to sulfates or the preservatives in the beer. I switched over to Seinlager which says no adds. or preserves on the box. Took one antihistamine pill before I drank and had no problems. I also tried Miller Milwaukee's style beers and had no problems. Is there any other beers out there with no adds. or preserves that anyone would recommend?
I don't know what beers will work but would guess micro breweries. As I stated above, the German Beer Law calls allows 3 ingrediants - hopps, barley, and water. After a while of restaurants not having Guiness, I risked it with Fat Tire (made in Colorado) and I had definite issues the next morning. For me now, I will not deviate from Guiness.

Find something that works that's widely available and don't deviate, else you will feel the pain again.
Ahh...I too have a similar list of symptoms. I've also become Gluten intollerant. However, The same things happen when I drink wine as well as gluten free beer. So, i'm not sure how it all connects for me. It's like having the extreme flu about half a glass in. I can drink hard alcohol in small amounts with little trouble but the real sickness comes from wine and beer. A friend of mine recently started experiencing the same things every time she drank a little. When she went to the doctor he said it sounds like a potential problem with her pancreas. The ingredients are too harsh for her pancreas to filter so she gets horrid flu like symptoms until her body can finish processing it through. Ironically I've been having problems with my pancreas as well. It's most noticeable when I eat gluten or drink any kind of alcohol. And depending on what and how much the more or less extreme it is. Ive also found myself getting similar reactions to things like black ice tea, soy proteins and york peppermint patties. So strange. I can see connecters in some of these but not all. Anyone know any connections between all of these? Could it be Suphurs? Also, Ive never drank beer out of a can. Since I started drinking beer it's always been quality micro brews so for me I don't think there is the same connection between stuff like budweiser vs. micro brews.
Hey guys/gals this sounds like an allergic reaction to sulfites.  While these are in beer and wine they are not in liquor.  Sulfa allergy is serious so be careful to avoid foods containing sulfites and sulfa medication.  I know because I have it.  The red dots are a result of the known reaction called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.
ITS CORN!!

Just was diagnosed with a corn allergy recently and apparently corn is in every major American beer. Because it's cheap! (Sam Adams may be the exception, haven't confirmed yet.)

The reason no one is having a reaction to Guiness- is there is no corn in Guiness. (but still gluten, etc)

The reason no one has a reaction to German beers- like Becks- is in Germany they have outlawed the use of corn to make beer throughout the entire country. Its been BANNED.
I have been getting red little bumps all over my body. Started with my back, then chest, then everywhere. The new ones itch. I think it might be from Bud Light. I've been drinking Corona for over 6 years and I've never had this problem. But in the last 2 months I started drinking Bud Light since it's really cheap. The second month is when I first started noticing these red bumps/pimples. I will stop drinking BL and see if the bumps go away. I'm also taking allery medicine to hopefully stop the itching and prevent more bumps from appearing. However, I don't think the allergy meds are helping.
Glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with beer ( BUT only domestically brewed varieties ).  Symptoms are stuffy nose, sneezing, and puffy eyes within an hour of imbibing.  I thought Guinness would be Ok, but it wasn't.  Looked at the bottle and it said "brewed and bottled" in Canada. Thank goodness for Samuel Smith.
So I stopped drinking Bud Light and the itchy red bumps started to go away. But in the meantime to help with the itching, my doctor recommended I take cetirizine (Zyrtec) every night. And when the itching really flares up to take some Benadryl.She examind the bumps and said it wasn't from bugs, scabies, or anything like that. Seems like it was the BL.
Hi, sorry to hear about your issues with beer, I know how frustrating it can be! I am allergic to sulfa (sulfanemites). It started from an antibiotic with the sulfa base in it and rash everywhere! Its horrible, like itching from the inside out.

I have noticed more and more that when I drink certain beers, I get the same thing, and like a sunburn on my face! Feverish and totally just icky!

I would check for a sulfa allergy! Wine can also have the same affect, some wines anyway. They have more sulfa's than others.
I actually saw a allergist when I was a bit younger and he asked if I drank..I said yes but only beer... He ran a Q tip down my arm without pushing down and my arm turned red immediatly ... he told me I am allergic to hops... been drinking beer for years now but recently my body broke out in a rash and we thought it was due to a new med I was using ... been on steroids and benadryl for a few days now and I seem fine until I drink a beer and my body just starts itching ..especially my hands
So I am 28 years old and have been a pretty heavy drinker for most of teenage and adult life.  Recently though I have noticed after one beer one of my eyes either left or right will turn red like a raccoon and will burn.  This is also accompanied with my throat being swollen and sore the next morning and me having an awful headache.  I also get the "I feel like I am swimming around" feeling like when you have a really bad head cold.  This has happened several times and has only occurred while drinking.  This week I drank a beer a night with dinner and every morning woke up the same way, and had the eye symptoms twice.  I though I was getting sick but I know now it's the beer.  Please Help!  Should I just talk to my doctor about it?
jodymae,

that is interesting about the q tip...you posted recently. How have you been since staying away? from beer?

I suspect i may be w the rest of you. Here are symptoms, though, which I've concluded very well may be from beer. I have been drinking cheap stuff daily for the last few mos. I'll get puffy face in the am, some itchiness on the back, arms etc AND oily and acne -prone, itchy scalp !! It's really weird, my scalp feels so unhealthy, the hair is weaker, flat, and come out a lot easier.... I have generally very full, thick hair and get comments all the time--or did until this started happening. I'm cutting out beer, and will see what happens w red wine.  Anyone experience similar w scalp problems etc? thks
I'm a 34 year old white male.  2 days ago I broke out in some crazy rash after a night of drinking.  Red dots that are super itchy.  At first I thought it was a heat rash due to the hangover.  But now I suspect it's alcohol, not sure if it's beer or what?  I'm actually sitting here naked right now typing this cause I'm trying to let my rash air out.  This is really painful and ***** really bad.
What you are describing is called a hangover. I know it ***** and there is no exact reason why they exist. But they have existed for centuries. Scientists cant really explain them, some say dehydration, some say mini withdrawalls from alcohol. Genectics do come into play, of course , what you eat and how much you consume. But know this the more severe your hangover with the least amount of alcohol , just know you are predispositioned to being an alcoholic, it probably is in your dna,and you have family members who have the same issues.
My boyfriend is exactly the same, he always used to me fine, but recently is so sick the next day. He's definitely not a celiac as he's fine with gluten. I've read s few things where people say it's because the pipes aren't cleaned enough or the chemicals aren't washed out thoroughly. We went to a micro brewery the other day, where it was all organic beer and he was fine the next day.

You have no idea what they put in beers, they really need to start listing ingredients as it seems many people are getting sick. The best thing I can suggest is stick to organic beers, there are a lot around these days and I actually think they're nicer to drink anyway!

Good luck to everyone - until there are ingredients listed, it's impossible to illiminate the ingredients.
I too have recently experienced hives and i also have a hard time breathing to the point of using my inhaler i get stomach pain and severe bloating. i get this with many foods too so i switched to an organic diet and was perscribed an antihistamine. Doc mentioned a severe sulphite allergy
You are having sever reactions to sulfites.  It's a preservative in wines and draft beers.  Draft beer is unpasteurized therefore pumped full of sulfites.  Most bottles of wines say right on them Contains  Sulfites because people have  allergic reactions.  I had a severe reaction about 25 years ago and ended up in emergency and the doctors told me I had a reaction to the sulfites and if I ever got another dose like I had I could die.  So I've never touched it.  I enjoy bottled beer which is pasteurized so you're not likely to have a reaction since bottled beer doesn't contain sulfites.
People who have gluten intolerance (including celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis sufferers) have a reaction to certain proteins in the grains commonly used to make beer, barley and wheat. The hordein found in barley and the gliadin found in wheat are types of gluten that can trigger symptoms in sufferers of these diseases. Gluten-free beer is part of a gluten-free diet.

Gluten can be found in many common cereal grains including barley and wheat. Even in small quantities, the glutens specifically from barley and wheat (hordein and gliadin respectively) can trigger serious symptoms in those who suffer from Celiac disease. Almost all beer contains levels of gluten that cannot be tolerated by the celiac,[citation needed] but a growing number of breweries now cater to celiacs or those who otherwise cannot tolerate the consumption of one or other of the relevant glycoproteins.
that's odd, because Budweiser says they don't add any preservatives!  but recently I also had hives when drinking the Tap Bud Light and cans of Bud Light but not the bottles!!!  figure that one out?  I calle them and awaiting a response back after she researches for me.   been drinking Bud Light for years with no problems then boom - rash.
I recently got reactions to Bud Light in the cans and draft-  same with the hives like you.  Budweiser says they don't use sulfite or preservatives, so I am going to allergy doctor.  tried one night of Bud light in bottles and no problem??? hmmmmm. strange.  they are going to call me back they said, still waiting
Ok, so I tried bottled Bud Light one night and Okay.  Next I bought Great White (with Shark on label) by Lost Coast Brewery - drank one last night no problems.  I also bought gluten free Redbridge and will try that one too. have appt. with allergist next week.   For the last 2 weeks, any Bud Light in CAN or Draft is giving me hives, along upper arms and waist - so I am wondering if they treat the cans/kegs with some chemical prior to filling that isn't used in the bottles?  I called them and waiting to hear back.   I know that I have sulfa allergy, but Bud says they don't add sulfites?  but I also read that yeast puts out natural sulfites so who knows.
I grew up on beer.  Drank it for fun as a teenager in High School.  Was a normal binge dringer in college.  And continued as a weekender who liked a party in my 20's.  I got in my 30's and started to wake up with strange night sweats and needed to go to bathroom.  Heart racing as well.  Not once did I have a rash.  Symptoms then would go for about 45 min. and I could go back to sleep but I felt miserable (like I was poisoned ) for the next day and not so hot the day after.  I adjusted my consumption and now a few decades later am very picky about what I consume.  Now I find I can drink Organic wine (Daily Red) without any symptoms.  But if I drink beer it better be a good one and in small qty 1-2.  Then if I wait a week or two I might get away with another beer or two with minimal symptoms.  But if I deviate and have more frequent or more qty I get very sick for 2-3 days.  Symptoms now are go to bathroom a few times until I am empty, very hungry (regardless what I have  had to eat), feel posioned/toxic much like a hangover (even though qty of alchol does not justify).  I have not solved it but believe that while some have simple explanations (i.e. celiacs, sulfides,allergy to hops) other may have complex reactions where the kidneys or pancreas are influenced and start a chain reaction that no scientist or doctor yet understands.  
I discovered my issue after much research and a doctor filling me in a bit.  You see, there is a reason many people have the issues here with cheap, American beer.  They usually contain a much higher level of sulfites/sulfates. These are used for preservation.  Many beers in Europe or "higher quality" beers don't use it as much if at all. In Germany there is actually a purity law that prohibits beer from being made with anything other than water, hopps, wheat, rye, barley, etc.
I found out I am severely allergic to these preservatives. You can easily be tested to see if you are allergic to such.  This is the same reason I mostly stick to liquor and spirits (like many have said).  
I am not saying this is the exact culprit for all here, but I'm willing to bet at least a few of you will resolve your issue by reading this post.
Hey sounds like u are developing sensitivity to something.. check the ingredients of what u drink and record it, i developed several allergies all at once to various things and i kept a diary of what i was eating/drinking. A local beer that i used to drink was the culprit. I stopped drinking it, switched to a low carb beer that doesnt have preservatives or additives and have no problems with it. Id been to several drs about it and still waiting for an appointment with a dermatologist, but have had several blood tests and all have been negative, so it really pays to be your own detective. Good luck!
i have been getting very sick with some beers and liquors, and not sick at all with others. i just did some research, and found out that im allergic to all the beers and liquors that use GMO ingredients.
anything made by the Boston Brewing Company is now my safest bet for beers, they are all GMO free!
I am a homebrewer. I have not had any problem. I make all grain, no sugar, or very little, and low percent alcohol 3.5 to 4%.
I recently bought a mix pack of Guinness, as it was half price and since then, I have been getting hives that come and go, on my torso, forearm, and bottom
My mother has celiac diesase and my father stopped drinking beer, he said, due to a skin rash. They were also eating a lot of cake and bread, however. I eat very little bread myself and no cake, or pasta, etc.
It is tragic, but I slowly developed this over the years. Since I was about 18 it would happen once a year, then a few times a year, then regularly unless I took benadril. Now I am 40, I eliminated this beer, then that until now I cannot drink any beer. I switched to Saki. If I try a beer by throat closes up, I break out in hives starting on my face, but extending to my toes like blood sores if I don't stop drinking and get some benadril in me fast.
What a curse!
Educate your self on the dangers of GMO's. mostly all domestic beer are genetically modified. Australia is the leader in GMO barley. Learn more about Monsanto corp. & their round up ready crops. The BT gene's survive digestion & cultivate in your intestinal track, poking holes in it. This causes gastrointestinal upset and blood in the fecal matter. This also triggers allergy like symptoms. Needless to say Claritin and Zyrtec sales have been up for the last few years. Another ingredient being added to beers that's not labeled is ethylene glycol which is the main ingredient in anti-freeze, also being used in the toothpaste in prison.  In conclusion it is pretty evident that corporate America is trying to poison us and our best bet is to find a clean source of food (organic, non-gmo) water and beer. IMO distilling your own water is the only way to go unfortunately we cannot do anything about the air. What I mean by that is if you look up in the sky on a clear day you might notice that it looks like a checkerboard and this is thanks to our Air Force spraying chemtrails of magnesium sulfate, copper sulfate and aluminum oxide. WHY ARE THEY SPRAYING??? I don't know, I am not a chemist, but I do know that these chemicals raining down upon us CANNOT be good for us. Just Sayin!

I hope this information is helpful, please pass it on to everyone you know.

Check out my latest posting. I don't think it's an allergic reaction. I think your having a poisonous reaction. Your body is able to fight any more. I'm wondering if a non GMO non poisoned beer like home made organic beer would do the same thing to you? Let me know pls!    
HI I am 43 and have been a Bud Light gal for a very very long time. But this past year I have noticed that I can not drink even a half of a bottle before I notice the red around my eyes. Does anyone know why this happens? I have tons of allergies but none to food that I am aware of. No problems breathing just the red rash around my eyes and only when I drink budlight.
For me, the reaction was due to Propylene Glycol.  I have found that cheap, mass-produced beers are likely to contain it, and high-quality craft beers are not.  I am safe with Goose Island, New Belgium, and Two Brothers, and I'm sure there are many others.  Anything non-craft and domestic and I get a burning rash.  If you are not allergic to gluten or GMOs in other products, consider that it might also be propylene glycol for you.  Get it tested, both by an allergist (scratch test) and a dermatologist (patch test).  It's also in a lot of hand sanitizers, anti-perspirants, liquid soaps, etc. so if those cause any skin problems that might be why.
Good news is that now I have a valid medical reason to denigrate garbage beers like Bud and Coors and such, without coming off like a beer snob.
I have been drinking beer for years. Around Christmas, I started getting cramps and an upset stomach every time I drank beer, and at first I thought it was an alcohol intolerance. A friend asked if I had tried wine or any other type of alcohol. I tried wine and vodka with no probem. In August I tried to drink a Corona and within minutes I was on the toilet, plus broke out in a cold sweat, felt like my skin was on fire and someone was ripping out my intestines. Had to call my husband to come get me off the toilet because I was so weak. Long story short, went to an allergist, got tested and I am highly allergic to malt. That event in August was an anaphalytic reaction and now I carry an Epi-Pen. Weird thing is, I can dri k Twisted Tea which has malt and I can eat breads and pretzels which have malt with no problem. I am convinced it is brewing malt or allergens which are created during the beer brewing process.
Budweiser obviously uses genetically-modified grains in their beer.
GM foods are causing serious health problems world-wide.
This is all being covered up to protect corporate profits.
Any scientist who goes against GM foods is punished and sometimes even killed.

I have had Cancer and now have severe skin problems caused by auto-immune problems originating from RoundUp herbicide and GM foods.
This makes sense - I just started going through crazy allergic reactions and I drink Bud Light often.  Hives head to toe, lips swell like grapefruit. Benadryl is my best friend when I drink. Thank for the info, Im switching!
Hii Dear,

:) You glad to know YES!! yesterday night i was out one of my friend bthday we enjoyed alot i had 4-5 draught beer same peroniee when i woke up today morning my back, chest and underarms started itching fst of all i thought its coz of amino acids which i am taking during workout but after surfing on internet i found same cases like me alot. Sad i love drinking beer but i can't take risks and this uncomfortable feeling again so i am going to stop no more peroniee. I am not sure for this before but after read your post i am think i am right.

Thanks Dev
You need to get an allergy test....most likey you are allergic to hops and barley that is in the beer you drink. I'm allergic to beer because of my allergies to hops and barley. My systems are itchy throat, hives on face and sneezing.
By the time I was 19, (I'm 60 now),  if I drink one beer, or 1/2 glass of wine, no matter where they were made, I get a throbbing migraine,  aurora around lights, pounding in my head, nausea and often vomiting.  The Dr.s aren't concerned, they tell me, "you are allergic to something in them, so just don't drink them." oh, and distilled spirits, ie, whiskey, bourbon,  Liqueurs, vodka, rum, etc... don't bother me at all. I don't drink much, but it would be nice to once again enjoy an iced beer after working in the yard, or glass of red vino with a meal, a champagne toast to whomever instead of grabbing a glass of water.  I try it now and again, thinking my chemistry might have changed, but pay the price for it.
I'm 60, and my symptoms hit when I was 19, same thing with wine. I think that rules out GMO's, even though I'm against gene splicing our food stuffs. Cross pollination is a form of altering an plants genes, but its genes within the same species, not what they are doing with plants that could never cross pollinate,  or animal to plant, etc.....
Tried for the first time, Bud Light Lime-A-Rita. Instantly started having trouble breathing, lips swelled up and face, neck and upper arms turned bright red. took a benadryl and after 2 days still feeling sick with a slight headache and stomach ache but lip swelling has finally gone down. Budweiser website doesn't have any ingredients listed and no one answers when I call their 800 #. I have wine almost daily and bottled beer on occasion and beer on tap when I'm at a restaurant. I had some cheap canned beer (Coors light) about a year ago with some redness so I'm positive it's the ingredients in the canned beer. The list of comments have really helped explain that there's an issue with canned cheap beer and Bud Light canned beer specifically. Will surely stay away from this stuff from now on; just not worth the pain.
Started drinking $2.00 Blue Moons at the Legion 22oz. Started breaking out   in rash, I never new there was such a thing as beer allergies. I recently had my hip replaced and not drinking beer or going to the Legion. My skin came back to normal color.2 weeks ago drank to many miller lites,to many honey brown on tap. I was miserable for 3 to 4 days.Ive been going to an allergist. They said I was allergic to hops,barley, I thought they were crazy. Im allergic to beer. Bu1 Indpls.
I am having an allergic reaction to Coors Light right now. My symptom: hives, all over my face and chest. I feel the heat on parts of my face, ears, and chest. It is nuts! My husband had it, too to Coors Light only. He switched beer and now stopped reacting. I read a few of the posts...I think this is Light beer in general, whether it be Coors, Bud....but what?!