Allergy Community
Stuffy nose every morning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Stuffy nose every morning

Just about every morning I wake up with a very stuffy nose, which can also come with a headache.  I have been diagnosed with cluster migrane (migraine) headaches, and when I take Imitrex the headache goes away, which tells me it's not a migraine, that maybe it's a sinus problem in the morning.

If I take an Excedrin the headache goes away, and so does the suffy nose.  I also notice that if I lay on the side where the nostril is not stuffy, the stuffyness clear up.  This happens easily 3 to 4 times a week, and usually between 6 and 7 a.m.

Could this be dust, or a sinus thing?  I also think, but not sure, that when I sleep in another room, I don't have this problem.

I can live with the stuffy nose, but can't live with the constant headache that comes with it.  Any advice, or should I visit an
ear, nose and throat doctor.  Thank you for any advice you can provide to me.  This problem really starts my day off on a down side.

Lou44
well i'm stuffed up every morning aswell and when i changed sides it clears up the other...that is none as the nasil cycle though how does it react if your laying on your back or standing up...if it doesn't clear up it could be an allergy or your turbinates could be very large/swollen like mine and need to be trimmed down
You may be allergic to dust mites - which live in your bed.. I'm allergic & wake up with a stuffy nose when I'm in a bed that doesn't have allergy-proofed covers.

Check out: www.allergycontrolproducts.com -- OR, just go to your local wal-mart or similar store to get pillow & bed covers. If you have a down comforter,  you may want to replace that with an allergy-proof material.

To be sure - you can get scratch tested by your allergist.

Good luck!
In the last three weeks I have have been waking up in the middle of the night with severe headaches and nose is stuffed up and the top of my head on the right side is sore to the touch And this last for hours. I cant funtion at all. I am sick to my stomach and I can not stand any type of light or anyone talking. I have tried everything. Been the the dr and he says I am having musle spams in the top of my head which are causing migranes (migraines) but what is causing the stuffed up nose? The top of my head stays sore all day even without the headache feels like it is just waiting for the big headache to come out. I have tried Zytec, Loaratab,topiramate, and Imatriex and noting works. Any suggestions?