Sudden SWELLING of feet and ankles
What would cause sudden swelling of feet and ankles? I mowed with a riding lawnmower this afternoon and immediately afterward noticed that feet and ankles were approx a 1/3 larger. Thought it was an allergy took benedryl and a nap no change in condition.

Swelling (a.k.a. edema) is caused by a buildup of fluids. When this happens in the legs, ankles, and/or feet, it's called peripheral edema.

As it has occurred suddenly after lawn mowing in your case, it can be due to some insect sting or bite.

Are you overweight? Are you allergic to grass or hay? In these cases also there can be peripheral edema.

Did you injure your leg or feet recently? It can be due to infection. But is is usually associated with fever and pain. Antibiotics are helpful in these cases.

Swollen legs can also be caused by certain medications, including high-estrogen birth control pills, calcium channel blockers, certain antidepressants, and steroids. In other cases, swelling of the legs may be a sign of more serious health conditions, including heart, kidney, or liver failure.

Take some antihistaminics like benadryl/Claritin or zytec.If you are overweight then reduce weight as sitting or standing too long in overweight people can cause swelling of feet. Reduced sodium (salt) in the diet and exercise regularly. Exercise, especially leg exercises, can also increase circulation, removing some of the fluid from your feet.

Also elevate your legs above the heart while sleeping or sitting.

Pls call your health care provider if ankle swelling persists or worsens after the above measures have been taken.

Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.
For about 1 month I have been craving ice and am sucking way to much - about 2 weeks ago my feet and ankles started swelling - do you think this is related?  Thank you