Allergy Community
Swelling of Tongue.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Swelling of Tongue.

I have experienced swelling of the tongue, bottom of feet, and legs at different times in the last year. Will Benedryl help and if so, how much should I take?
Unexplained swelling of the lip without any predisposing disease is frequently caused by allergies.This swelling of the lip and eyes is called angioedema.It is the rapid swelling (edema) of the dermis, subcutaneous tissue, mucosa and submucosal tissues.Symptoms include swelling of any body part which appears suddenly and comes and goes.

Diagnosis is by clinical examination and complete blood tests,electrolytes and renal function tests.Traetment is by antihistaminics and steroids.

Other possibilities are acromegaly,Crohn’s disease,cardiac or renal disorders and myxedema.It is very difficult to make a diagnosis without examination.So pls get yourself examined by a physician and the diagnosis confirmed.Also sometimes angioedema can be life threatening when it involves the larynx and airways.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.