Swollen Lip and hives
My son is 14 years old.  He has been having a swollen upper lip on and off for the last several weeks.  He has now developed having hive breakouts.  He was prescribed an epi pen by his pedatrician; luckily we have not had to use.  Benadryl has helped.  He has an appt with allergist tomorrow and he has to stay antihistamine free for 3 days prior to appt.  Nothing has changed in his diet or environment.  He has had regular allergy symptoms (watery, itchy eyes) for several years and takes otc medicine for that when it occurs.  We do have indoor pets but they do not sleep in the beds or on the furniture (for the most part, they do sometimes get on furniture when we are not home).  One episode of hives occurred while he was lifting weights at a local gym and was out of the house.  I am at wits end trying to figure out what is going on with him.  I pray the allergist appt tomorrow will provide help to him.  Is it true most cases are never solved?
     Hives most commonly occur due to unknown reason, that is why treating this condition is difficult and is managed symptomatically. In some their occurrence can be related to infection, allergies, to food, drugs, environment, stress, change of climate etc. It is possible that your son might be developing hives for the same allergens for which he had previously mild symptoms like itching. Also, there is a possibility that there are certain unknown allergens causing this reaction in him. It is better to get tested for allergies, to confirm the cause if any.
Also, hives are not serious and should be managed immediately at the onset to prevent untoward reactions. Best.