Allergy Community
Swollen Tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Swollen Tongue

About a year ago I began waking up about 4 or 5 AM with a swollen tongue.  After spending time in the emergency ward receiving injection and steroids my tongue became normal.  It was believed to be caused by my BP medicine which at that time was Lisinopril which I had been taking for 20 years.  Since January I have gone through 4 or 5 different families of BP medicine, but still have the problem.  I am currently recording all my food in a diary hoping to find some connection.  My allergist has had me not eat any pork or beef.  The swelling happens over 12 hours after I eat anything and it always happens in the morning.  Can anyone help?
Welcome to the forum!
If you have acidity and GERD then the acid reflux is causing the swollen tongue. Maybe antacids will help you. It can also be alcohol and food allergy. It is a good idea to keep a diary of what you eat. Deficiency of iron, Vitamin B, yeast infection, syphilis or dry mouth are the other causes of swollen tongue.
Contact with tooth pastes, mouth washes etc too can cause a swelling. Discuss this with your doctors. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

In the last month and a half I have woke up between 3 and 5 am with one half of my tongue swollen and glands in neck swollen.  I have not changed any medications, cleaning products or foods.  Does any one have any idea what is going on.  I am 47 years old. I am an Asthmatic but have been on same medications for years.    Thanks for any information.