Allergy Community
Swollen eyelids, weeping rashes in ear, arm, swollen lip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Any advice?
A week ago - my right eyelid was swollen and itchy. And upper lip was slightly swollen with rashes that was excreting sticky clear-ish fluid. Doctor told me that the eye was an allergic reaction to something and lip was a cold sore. Gave me antihistamine eyedrops.

Next day - eye got worse (swollen but dry) and entire upper lip was swollen (still weeping). Also noticed an itchy rash in my hand with fluid in it. Doctor #2 told me it was all an allergic reaction and prescribed antihistimine.

Next day - eye and lip kept getting worse, and the sticky/weeping rash on lip had spread to bottom of my nose and left ear. Doctor #3 said I had a combination of allergic reaction (the eye) and impetigo/skin virus (the sticky rashes/swelling that was spreading). Gave me corticosteroid for the swelling and antibiotics for the latter.

Next 2 days - By day 2 of meds, lip swelling/stickiness had gone down dramatically. Ear and nose still had some rashes. But, left eye started getting red and swollen. So now, both eyes are red (it wasn't as red before), almost swollen shut, pressure on the face from the swelling, dry, and right eye is scaly from dryness. Also, 2 additional smal itchy rashes (weeping also) on arms, and just recently, few itchy red patches on neck (not weeping).

Went to Doctor #4 who said it's allergies. Said the antibiotics must have helped since lip went down, but the new red itchy spots, including the weeping ones on arms, are probably from the allergic reaction (eczema), not from impetigo. And since the allergic reaction (swollen eyes, hives on neck, and eczema on arms) keeps getting worse, doctor prescribed stronger steroid pills plus 2 prescription antihistamines. Also am still on the antibiotics for the impetigo.

Any advice on other possible causes? Why has the swelling continuously gotten worse and spreading even after corticosteroids? It has been 8 days since initial swelling signs and 4 days since prescriptions started. Could I possibly be reacting to the pencillin (although I guess the swelling started before that...)?

Also, any tips on home remedies to help ease the itchiness and swelling?
you could try washing eyes with a cotton ball and some baby shampoo i know it works on eczema
I know this post was from like, 5 years ago, but I found another post to this exact issue -- that'd I've also had the same exact symptoms you describe off and on for the last couple years -- and it's a description for a home remedy treatment of the red itchy patches. So sorry this is out of the blue, but wanted to help (still searching, as you can see, though, b/c I think I now have a bit of impetigo again...so don't want to go get antibiotics!)

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/dry-red-sore-itchy-bumpy-under-eye-skin/show/637861