Allergy Community
Swollen itchy eyes and lip rash/sores

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Swollen itchy eyes and lip rash/sores

For the past 10 years I have had really sensitive lips and have only been able to use one type of lip balm. As anything else - lip sticks of glosses give me little sores on my lips and cause them to puff up and get little scabs and peel contantly - i also get dry patches under my eyes and eye lids. When I visited a doctor they told me I may have an allergy to nail polish and an ingrediant in lip glosses/balms its also happens when I were nail polish. After removing it it usually clears up within a week.

Recently I havent even be able to use my usual lip balm as my lips react to that as well and my eyes are puffing up and getting extremly itchy and stinging. I was heading overseas for 3 weeks and the doctor have me some tablets to take to clear up my lips as she said they looked like they had a staff infection. Whilst I was OS all my symptoms cleared up completely and within 2 days of returing home everything started up again!

A week after I had been back,I woke up in the monring and my eyes were completely closed over and extremly swollen. I visited a doctor and they said I might have hives or some type of allergy. I was put on antihistmines and a course of panafcortelone, which helped with the eye swelling and the lips alittle. but now i have reduced the amount of panafcortelone I take daily as I am at the end of my course, as have been told it isnt something I can take long term and my eyes are becoming more irrated and puffy and my lips sore are getting worse.
I havent changed any make up lately or products like toothpaste, washing powder.

Does anyone have any sugguestions what it might be, as its dirvinbg me crazy!!!!
Well, looks like very close to what I have.  Now, I am a male and no makeup, but for the past 3 years, out of nowhere, never had a allergy in my life, a week after I joined my new workplace, I started to get the same symptoms as you.  My eyes and lips start to swallow, and then if it is really strong, my second eye starts, and my lips also get dots on them , like millions of them.

Maybe we have the same thing, just reacts differently a little.  I thought it was food, but I am beginning to believe it is environmental, I have no changed my diet for so long.  I am also vegetarian.  Oh it also happens any time of a year, so it is not seasonal.

Anyone, any suggestion is appreciated it.
I have similar problems with my lips and eyelids.  My lips itch and burn and are also sometimes swollen.  They also peel, look dry and cracked, and since this started, make me look much older  I have gotten a salve from my dermotologist, which helps somewhat.  (She said I am allergic to most toothpaste and I now use Toms which is a natural toothpaste - it has helped to some degree) I am constantly applying lip balm or chap stick, but nothing seems to help the problem entirely.  My eyelids itch, are red and also get dry and flakey.  This happens especially when I wear eyeshadow, but even when I don't. I wore it for years without a problem.  Another site I looked at indicated a couple people who had the lip trouble, and wondered if it was caused by wine, beer, or other types of alcohol.  I drink wine.  Anyone else see this connection?
Hi - I have been experiencing similar symptoms for weeks.  For about 6 week, my upper lip has been dry, slightly wrinkled, as well as cracking and peeling.  So frustrating because no amount or type of lip balm seemed to help (vaseline lip therapy, body shop lip salve, etc etc). Additionally, the skin above my upper lip became dry, red and irritated.  About 2-3 weeks after that, I started experiencing swollen eyelids as well as dry, wrinkled, red, itchy patches above and below my eyes.  I could not apply the most mild lotion to those areas because it would burn, but it was so dry I wanted to do something.  I went to urgent care where I was diagnosed with "contact dermatitis" and put on a 5-day regimen of prednisone and sulfa (antibiotics) which did a great job for those 5 days but of course all the symptoms returned with a vengeance as soon as I stopped taking the meds.  Clearly steroids just take away the symptoms but don't cure the underlying cause.  About 2 wks later, I went to a dermatologist who gave me a low dose 0.05% hydrocortisone gel to apply to the affected areas... so far my skin is about 80-90% improved, however, again I am not sure if it is just masking the symptoms.  To address the cause, I have been exercising more to help reduce stress and focused on a healthier, more probiotic diet.  On another website I perused, there were many entries where the individuals had very similar symptoms and they were finding alot of them had yeast infections so by eating more acidophilus enriched products (yogurt, probiotic supplements, etc), less sugars (including alchohol) and less fats, their skin conditions began to resolve.  I think stress management is HUGE - I believe that for me it was the original trigger and then I just added to it by drinking too much, eating an unbalanced diet, not sleeping, enough, etc for a stretch of time.  I am seeing an allergist next week to ensure that I haven't developed allergies in my old age (38) that I am just not aware of which could recur.  This has only been about 2 months total but has really affected my life and I need to keep it under control.  Good luck to everyone!!  Ani
My situation sounds similar, maybe I can add something. I saw an allergist after a period of odd swellings and itchy rashes (under my eyes, my lips, even my hands and feet) and found out that I am allergic/sensitive to salicylates- an ingredient in aspirin. It also occurs naturally in mint, tea, the skin of many fruits and other foods. I also did some research on the internet to find out more about salicylates and found that people who are sensitive to them may also have problems with the ingredient benzone (found in a lot of lip balms, sunscreens, cosmetics and skin care items). I'm still trying to figure out the range of things I should stay away from (aloe seems to be bad too). Trying to find cosmetics and skin care products without benzone, mint or aloe is challenging.

Note: msanders mentions that his diet hasn't changed in a long time, but according to my primary care physician, people often develop allergies to things they are in contact with on a regular basis over time. This seems to be true in my case- it's cropped up only in the past few years (I'm 38 years old) and seems to be triggered by things I used for years without any problem. I hope this helps.
hey i right now have a reaction to advil and my lip is swollen but something my sister told me that would help is fish oils and flax seeds so look for flax seeds and mix it with your food or drinks and also look for liquid gel tableds that are naturally fish oil its helped me and im starting to feel better
I have exactly the same problem as you with both my eyes and lips. I was interested about what you said about being under stress. I have mega stress both at home and work - has your new health kick worked?
I am currently experiencing these symptoms. this stuff came out of the blue...w/in the past year. Thanks for the comments...they are helpful...I am going to get my skin checked by the doc in a couple of days. Eczema, psoriasis, etc...these skin issues are irritating...especially in conjunction with regular allergies (eye, dust, pollen) and a breathing condition...I know that they all run together and it is difficult to figure out whether or not it's food or environment...argh...
Thank you so much for you post.  I have always had sensitivity to lipstick, sunscreens, and kiwi fruit and I've tried to avoid those items... the information you shared will allow me to be aware of those things to avoid, rather than living by trial and error as I have... I still plan on visiting an allergist... hopefully they can provide me with something to treat the painful symptoms when I have flare up (like now... 3 weeks and counting)... and can tell me what other things to avoid (I'm a vegetarian, so looking at the list of item on webMD left me pretty discouraged)...

But at least this is the beginning...
I've recently had allergic reactions including red, swollen eyelids; burning blistered ears; blisters on lips and around my nostrils; swollen "pillows" under my eyes.  Haven't figured out exactly what is causing it, but honey applied to my face and ears helps a lot.  Relieves the itchiness, seems to reduce the blisters and swelling.  Leave it on as long as possible -- after it dries it is not as noticeable.  Probably a natural honey is better - I mean not highly processed like SueBee for example.  
I hate to say this, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!  Within the last two weeks I have been experiencing swollen eyelids as well as dry, wrinkled, red, itchy patches above and below my eyes too.  Just today my lips started swelling.  I haven't been to see a doctor yet and after ready everyone's posts, I don't think I'm going to bother.  Interestingly enough, about six weeks ago I decided to "go vegetarian".  Could this be a reaction that my body is having to the change in diet?
Dear mawbbb
I have suffered itchy eyelids, lips and inner eye for several years , however you will be relieved to know that I had this problem BEFORE I became a vegetarian, so vegetarianism isn't the cause.  I have tried every topical cream - including cortisone, to no avail.  Don't bother with a doctor because he/she will prescribe medication which is going to treat the symptoms rather than the cause - anyway I've seen several specialists and they haven't helped.  Their knowledge of these itchy rashes is limited.  I have tried a low allergy diet (from the "friendly foods" book) but it was extremely difficult to adhere to and there was no definitive correlation between what I was eating and the onset of symptoms.  Antihistamines are only a temporary fix.  I have tried every "natural" remedy I can find but the relief is only temporary (if at all).  I am addicted to sugar so was interested to read that this could be a yeast infection.  I also noticed that on a recent holiday the symptoms slowly improved.  I was stress and makeup free (lipstick and lipliner noticeably aggravate my upper lip).  I considered that I may have become allergic to my cats, but I spent all day working in a cat shelter on the weekend and had no problems.  There is one thing that did relieve the itch, and that's apple cider vinegar applied with a cotton ball to the affected area. It's particularly soothing straight from the fridge.  It will sting like mad for 10 seconds but the relief is instant.   I have also read that drinking 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water three times a day is meant to help and I am keen to try this.  Will post my results.
I have the same issues as everyone else.  Itchy, swollen lips with a rash often accompanied by swollen eyes.  I visited the dermatologist twice this week.  The first time, he thought it was a peanut allergy, so I was put on anithistimines; however, while on antihistimines I developed swollen eyes and lips!  Upon visiting the doctor again, I was prescribed a topical ointment for the lip area.  The doc said that this condition is tricky to diagnose.  Needless to say, I am on medicine and still getting flare ups!  I have found a cold compress works to bring down the swelling on the eyelids.  Also, I am going to try taking an allergy medicine like Claritin everyday to see if my symptoms will stay away!  Has anyone tried a daily allergy medicine like Claritin?   Does it work for these symptoms?
I tend to be a naturalist so when I start taking pills and/or supplements, my family knows I am getting desperate for help.  I have the red, swollen, puffy eyes with crusting along with the swollen, cracked lips.  I have tried many different creams like the ones listed above but has only covers up the symptoms.  I have tried Claritin and Benadryl, but again and of course since these are not cures but symptom cover ups, no major permanent changes occurred.  I have noticed the symptoms increase around my mouth when I eat vegetables from a bag.  I started noticing the symptoms when I ate a large salad at my favorite restaurant.  I later found out they changed their vegetable rinse.  I have since found out that vegetables (organic included) are rinsed before they are put into bags for resale.  If anyone knows the name of this rinse, I would appreciate the information.  I have also noticed an increase in my symptoms when we started feeding our cow Alfalfa hay. At this time, I cannot touch our cow without a swelling episode.  I went on vacation for 6 days and eat a lot of organic yogurt and kefir (unfortunately the sugar content was still in the product) and stayed away from the tv and computer.  I did not eat any fresh vegetables that were packaged in a bag.  I found my symptoms greatly reduced.  I cannot say my symptoms reduced due to a reduced stress level because the trip brought a high incident of problems and my stress was very high.  Has anyone looked into vegetable and grain chemicals as the "catalyst" for our problems?
Have you tried replacing your pillow?  Sometimes an allergic reaction can develop for no good reason. Your body may have begun to react to dust mites so whilst you were overseas you had a reprieve and on return the allergy built up again.

Only a thought. You may well have already done this.  If your pillow is an irreplacable old favourite then give it a really hot wash and place it into a freezer for 24 hours now and again. Hope this helps.
My eyes are swollen and lips are cracked.  This is due to an allergic reaction to gel nails in close proximity to myself (not in me).  Hope this helps you, perhaps you're allergic to your co-worker's fake nails.  Also, there is a long drying period, and emits voc.
I have been having problems with this for two years now. Inflammed lips, itchy puffy eyelids. It has been misery. The symptoms started suddenly, and now I will break out in a rash if I use anything other then vasaline on my lips. I never had allergies as a child, and I used to wear makeup everyday.

My doctor doesn't do anything besides prescribe antihistamines. I have been taking claritin for 2 years, and it seems hit and miss. If I so much as kiss my husband I may get a rash from his lip balm. It is really depressing.

When I get stressed out, the symptoms intensify. I also had a blood test that showed I had %1000 more anti-bodies in my blood stream then normal...I should see an allergist I suppose.

Anyway, I hope that might be remotely helpful for someone! xoxo.

I have the same symptoms, for almost three months now, out of the blue.  I also am experiencing the end of my tongue being somewhat irritated, numb, and mapped.  Some mornings, I wake up with swollen gums behind my front teeth; wondering if my tongue is causing that while I sleep!  
Anybody here having tongue issues along with lips and eyes?  
I've tried all kinds of topical things on my lips and eyes, but nothing seems to really work.  This week, I'm trying the apple cider vinegar, as I've heard from other sources that this is really good.  I'm also adding flax seed oil, having heard that it's good for skin conditions.
I have no hope that going to an allergist will help to pinpoint my problems; it all seems like guesswork!      
I have broken out in red itchy patches all over my skin.  My eyes swell and my top lip goes numb.  This have happened twice over the past two months.
I am in the same boat.  After several doctor visits and many different diagnosis's.  the doctors have said Staph, Steven Johnson syndrome, medication allergies, seasonal allergies, ect..  I have asked several times why this is only on the right side of my body but no Doctor can answer that question.  Please keep us posted if you come up with anything new to try.
In  April I started with the itchy, watery eyes.  I has progressed to a rash on my face. I have been to the allergist, and the dermatologist who told me it was eczema.  I am staring to think it has to do with a root canal I had done.  The root canal was in Nov. 2006 and had to be redone in April and was wondering if anyone who has been experiencing similar symptoms had a root canal.. The doctors don't seem to want to find out what's causing this, they only want to treat the symptoms, but I don't seem to be getting any better.  The itching is driving me crazy and at this point I'm considering having the tooth pulled.
I dont have the lip thing but my eyes seem to go red swollen ithchy and dry with this getting worse as the day goes on and every thing i apply stings like mad apart from vaseline - i would like to point out it always seems to happen the morning after i have had a few drinks, with my tipple been Vodka and diet coke???

It might sound silly but my sis has had the same thing a few years ago and eventually it dissapeared.

Does any one find this is the case or is it just me and my Sis that could be allergic to booze - hope not!!
My SO had the swollen lip, swollen eye, swollen face, and peeling skin issue for about 3 months. We went from doctor to doctor and everyone doled out the Prednisone- which worked while he took them, BUT once he stopped, he'd swell up again.

We tried everything, herbal remedies, food diary, restricting suspected foods and changing soaps/detergents. Then we went to an allergy doctor who did some testing and nothing was found.

We were about to give up and I suggested he stop using the vitamin E oil he used to moisturize his face. Everyone was intrigued about how it was just his face that was affected....so I suggested he stop using it.
He stopped and the swelling stopped completely! His face started to peel but there was no swelling. We switched to Aquaphor moisturizer- It's either a Eucerine or Lubriderm product and he is well on the road the recovery.

We spent the entire summer dealing with this issue and when we were running out of patience and money and I got tired of researching foods online and checking allergy sites- I just suggested he switch a cosmetic product and it worked.

As everyone has mentioned here the Prednisone masks the symptoms and does not treat what is actually going on.....so please heed the advice with regard to Prednisone- plus long term use is dangerous for your liver.....we relied on it for months because once the swelling was down he felt ok to go out in public and actually work without wearing sun glasses to hide his eye swelling.....

I wanted to share this with the forum since I relied heavily on the posts here for some solace and to vicariously commiserate.
One of my eyes became irratated and by morning was swollen shut and slightly red on the lid...Then my lips became red around the lip lining and small rash around then down to my chin, a mild red rash.  no other area of my face, then the next day the other eye started.  I took beyndrl and it seemed to help a little but when that wore off everything was back. I used a cortisone cream on the chin also.  By the 3rd day my throat was feeling funny and I had a dry cough and felt weird, concerned due to eyes getting worse and having had anaphalactic before sent me to the emergency room because of the breathing.  I was hooked up to a heart monitor for 2 hrs. and after being stable I had a choice of IV meds, (which would make me sleepy) or meds at home, being alone I chose to go home.   They said it was an allergy.  I was not satiisfied, (am the very curious type, have to have answers) and also very concerned over my eyes, (had some blurryness and itching so bad) so went in the next day to my opthamologist.  She said prendisone eye drops were more effective and to continue the low dose of prendison the ER doc. gave me with the anihistimin.  My eye pressure up  and she will check me again in 4 days.  The drops have greatly helped also the lips and chin, the eyes are almost healed and the lips and chins flare up off and on. As for the eyes everyone should have them checked by your eye doctor, I will climb the highest mountain to protect my eyes.  Also long term prendison can be harmful and one should be checked often by their doctor.  The ER doctor also said underlining illness can cause these problems so next is a check with my primary doc, blood tests etc. to determine what is going on....Weird weird weird things happen to us it seems, but I will get to the bottom of this ( I hope)
A couple of months ago I woke up to have very sore dry lips which gradually became swollen during the day.  The next day the tops of my eyes became very sore, dry and a bit lumpy, and then the next morning when I woke up my eyes lids were very swollen.  I have not, to my knowledge, ate or drank anything different, or used any different cosmetic products.  This went away and then last week back it came out of the blue - any ideas from anyone Thanks
In August, out of the blue like many of you, I started having symptoms.  It started out with a little spot on my lower lip, that I wasn't really sure was new.  I wondered if it could be a cold sore (which I've never had before), so I got something for that.  Then my eyelids started to get red & itch.  I went to the doctor & she told me it was an allergy (I've never had any) and to take Claritin.  It didn't work and just got worse.  Now I was having redness & itching in a kind of band across my neck by my Adam's Apple, and my nose, up by my eyes was irritated.  All of these areas started flaking, almost like they were sunburned & peeling.  I thought it might be poison oak, so I treated for that.  That didn't work either.  By this time a month had gone by & I'd had to go to work every day with my eyes all red & wrinkeled.  Also around my mouth was red & rough.  I work with the public, so it was quite embarrassing.

I went back to the doctor & got the course of Prednisone, which cleared it up while I took it, but it reappeared within a day or two.  So I got another course of Prednisone, with the same results.  I went back to the doctor again to get a referral to a dermatologist.  This was a different doctor & I got the appointment, but she also gave me a shot of KENALOG.  It's supposedly like Prednisone (a steroid, I imagine).  That was at the end of October.  It cleared it all up, and by the time I had my appointment with the dermatologist (mid-December) there was nothing for her to see.  I don't know if it will come back, but it's been two months now & at least I have relief.  I avoid taking medications if I can & know the danger of taking steroids for too long a time, but to those who suffer with this, it might be worthwhile to ask for a shot.

G

P.S. I had not changed anything in my diet, detergents, makeup, etc. that may have brought this on.  It is still a mystery to me!
I've had the same symptoms as most of you, swollen and itchy eyes and lips that comes and goes.  My whole face was also itchy.  My fingertips have little bumps all over them.  I have not changed anything in my diet or cosmetics.  I went to the doctor and she said I have eczema and gave me Desonide cream for it.  This helped a lot for the itchy face but all the other symptoms(swollen and itchy eyes and lips, and bumpy fingertips) have returned.  I have found that using A + D Ointment on my lips helps a lot.  As for my eyes all I know to do is use cold compresses.  I have no idea what causes my bumpy fingertips. Any ideas?
I have the itchy lips, puffiness and burning.  In my twenties I went to a dermatologist, (which I suggest you see before an allergist).  On the spot he told me what I have is something that women from 20-30 mainly get, I am sorry I don't remember the diagnosis.  He had given me hydrocortizone, and it worked.  I find the flare ups come when I am not sleeping, and I am stressed.  Although I don't feel mentally stressed, my body is stressed.  My lips also peeled if I didn't get the medicine in time.  
I do see a corralation to raw fruits and vegetables, such as: apples, mangos, strawberries, celery, carrots.  Immediately my throat itches.  I do not drink alcohol at all, so I wonder if the above commentors have anything to worry about, unless some of these fruits are used in your drinks.
I am now living in Peru, and it just flamed up after three years.  My lips are burning and their is no relief!  
I had started to use Mary Kay Cosmetics a few years back and it all went away!  Just recently I have run out, and beening unable to get the product, I had the flare up...but as I said, there were other factors...I ate a mango, was catering a wedding and had recently moved.  
I hope this helps...go to a dermatologist, not an allergist first.
I experienced the red puffy eyes and swollen lips last year. I had no idea what it was and tried changing a few different make-up products. After about a week or two it went away but I still had no idea why it was there in the 1st place, or what made it go away. Today I woke up with it again.
I didn't try going to the doctors last time since it did go away and reading all of these posts don't know if that even would be helpful. I will definitely be trying some different things and different make-up again and will post again if I figure out what's going on.
Have had same problems as all of you. Red, itchy patches on eyelids and below one eye. Lips that are red, dry and itchy with vertical lines that make me look like I have smoked all my life. I first developed symptoms after taking a second course of antibiotics for a sinus infection. I developed all the above symptoms but also had swelling so the doctor thought I was having a reaction. I discontinued the antibiotic and have had this same problem for about seven months. I stopped using my mineral make-up, can't use most lip balms as they cause burning and itching. I have also been told to take an antihistamine and that did not help. Have tried just about everything. I will try some of the suggestions posted. Maybe it is yeast related and will use some pro-biotics to see if I get relief!
I've found these posts very helpful just in knowing there're others with the same problem.  About a month ago I suddenly developed red, itchy, swollen eyes.  My lips are also very scaly and dry.  Being in the northeast winter, I first thought it was severe dry skin but now realize that's not the case.  My eyes are so dry and tight feeling, it seems my vision is starting to be affected.  Every product except vasoline burns and stings. There are some good tips and advice in all of your comments.  I'll be looking into the food-based (yeast infection) solutions as well as some of the topical solutions.  Please keep posting anything that helps, this condition is truly a misery.
I have the same problems. Until 8 years ago, I was perfectly fine. Then I moved to a bigger city for University and the same year I got the first allergy symptoms. It started with pollen allergy, especially allergy to grasses. Then allergy to sour fruits (pineapple, kiwi, oranges). My doctor perscribed antihistamines, however, after a few years they stopped working. A couple of years ago, I started getting rash on my lips whenever using lip gloss.

I definitely think it's related to the environment because every time I go visite my parents (who live outside the city) for a longer period, all symptoms dissapear. The last couple of years I have tried to avoid using make-up, shampoos, lip balms and detergents containing parabens and perfumes and I use as few  face/body-creams and make-up products as possible. It has helped a lot with the pollen allergy and I haven't used antihistamines for several years now. I also think food additives bear a major responsibility in allergies, and I try not to buy foods containing more than 2 E numbers....

However, a month ago my eyelids started itching and it hasn't stopped yet. This I don't know how to explain and I tell myself it's related to stress as it started the same time as I went into a very stressfull period. So hopefully it will go away soon :)

I had the same rashes (dry, flaky, bumpy, itchy skin) on my eyelids and lips for a year or so with no relief.  My Dr finally helped me diagnose it as an ALLERGY TO PETROLEUM, including anything with petroleum products.  I switched to all organic makeups, lotions, soaps, toothpaste, etc. for anything that touched my face, being careful to avoid anything with a petroleum base or petrol derivatices.  In addition, I eliminated POLYESTER CLOTHING from my wardrobe, as it also caused itchy skin wherever it touched me, although it never caused rashes.  The rashes disappeared and did not reoccur until just recently, and I have identified the new problem as certain types of salad dressing. I haven't figured out yet if it is an allergy to the oil/vinegar or whatnot (these are organic salad dressings without any additives, so I know it's not that).  I eat a large salad every day so I have been miserable with the rashes on my lips.  I'll post again when I figure it out!
I have a similar set of symptoms: eye swelling, lip swelling, and throat and tongue swelling.  It has been going on for 3 months now and has progressively gotten worse.  I took asprin the other day and had an immediate reaction where eyes, lip, throat all swelled up terribly.  It took days to go away.

My allergist said that I may have an allergy to the asprin, ibuprofin, and naproxin family of drugs.  I didn't have this allergy prior to 3 months ago.  I used to take all these drugs regularly.   Today I have itchy hands and swollen throat.  I carry an epi-pen and prednizone to slow the swelling.  I also usually take benedryl at nights if I'm having issues around bed time.  I had a food allergy panel done and I don't have food allergies.  My husband suggested that this may not be an allergy but an immunity problem.  I'm stratching my head trying to figure out what is going on.  

Please keep the blog posts coming.
I have had really swollen eyes for almost a year, i thought i might be allergic to cats(i have 6), It really ***** since i have always been told what beautiful eyes i have, i also noticed that my Rosecea has gotten worse, does anyone else have Rosecea??(pronounce ro-z-shea )It's a skin disease causing red pathy skin and it's a sort of adult acne without the big bumbs, i had laser surgery done on my eye a month ago and they couln't figure it out either, I have fibromyalgia and a lot of other  pain problems and take a lot of medications, but ibuprofen, i just started about the same time this started but i really need it for my arthrituis..anyway everybody look up Rosecea on webmd  and see if it could be part of the problem, i'm still wearing sunglasses and hoping it will go away...
Hey you all this is my first post on this site... I too still have some of the same problems like the peeling lips, swollen lips for about 2 yrs. After doing some strenuous research on the Internet, it seems to me that everyone is experiencing lip eczema. So here's what I found. "Eczema is a Greek word and means " to boil over". It is where skin is inflamed, red, and sore. The skin cracks easily. The use of most commercial lip salves made with Petroleum, liquid Paraffin etc will go a long way to making the lips drier.

Most of the foods we eat, the chemicals and even too much sunlight can have an impact on our body especially if we are not hydrated enough. Basically, what I'm saying is all these things weaken our immune system and that is what causes our lips to be like this.
The skin is the first place to show when we have a toxic overload and it can only do good to make sure the bowels are clean and working efficiently to help clear the Eczema up ASAP. If you still don't understand keep on reading!

Your body is equipped to handle some amount of detoxification on its own but problems occur when there is an overload of toxins due to increased acidity. Your organs like your liver, kidney and colon start to slow down. This is when toxins start to show up on your skin, manifesting into a condition called Eczema.

So, in order for your skin (outward appearance) to heal, you must give your body a chance to remove the excess waste and to repair itself. For an eczema condition, you would need to detoxify your body, correct vitamin and mineral deficiencies and restore healthy digestion.

Thank you for reading this, I hope that I can help myself and as many people suffering from this annoying condition.

The site below is a great site for lip eczema..Check it out
http://www.myorganicskincareproducts.co.uk/eczema-on-your-lips
About 5 months ago I first starting getting the same symptoms as everyone was describing. It started with a dry itchy patch around my eye. The next morning I woke up with swelling around the whole eyelid and unbearable itchiness. The next morning after that my lip was swollen itchy and cracked. The strange thing was it was only the right side of my face. I was prescribed antihistamines and they did help for a time but, like everyone has been saying, i'm thinking it just masks the symptoms. Also not long after that i had poison ivy twice in a matter of 3 weeks and was prescibed prednisone both times. Immediately following that i had a terrible yeast infection. Doctor said that prednisone is known to cause yeast infections. Just the other day i started with the same symptoms starting on my eye and moving to my lips. AGAIN on the right side of my face only. It is unbearable. I changed my pillow, have been chugging keifer like its my job, taking claritin and fish oils and i think it is helping a little, only time will tell. Every specialist and doctor i have seen and talked to really has not been much help, i think it is stress and lack of sleep, but i really can't be sure about anything. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions please keep posting! Comments were very helpful and although I feel bad for everyone its a relief to know that i'm not the only one!
Hi everyone,
I have similar problems that started 2 months ago with cracked  lips on the corners, then the skin around eyes started to get redness on the corners...  and now it's progressed to puffy red bags under my eyes with dry skin. I look OLD now with the deep creases. And the patches of redness by my mouth.

I have had psoriasis, it runs in the family, and eczema, but I've never had it on my eyes or near my lips ever.

Around the same time, I had gotten diagnosed with Blepharitis by my opthamologist because I have dry red eyes from time to time (for several years). I wonder if Blepharaitis has anything to do with the rash around the eyes, but it doesn't explain my lips at all.
https://health.google.com/health/ref/Blepharitis

As the eye Dr. suggested, I took prescribed eye drops,  fish oil, washed my eyes with SterileLid eye cleanser, and a wash rag with warm water, and my eyes were much better, but the skin around the eyes became dry and it's when I developed the redness on the skin.

I also read somewhere else, about the cracked lips, and some people say that it could be from anemia. I didn't have a very good diet when I first got the cracked lips, as I was visiting family in the hospital for most of that month and didn't eat very well.

I'm an underweight 32 yr old female, don't wear makeup or nail polish, I've been working from home for a year, and aside from that hospital visit my environment hasn't changed, and my diet is the same.

Anyway, my dermatologist has been experimenting with different treatments for my skin and nothing is working. I'm going to see an allergy specialist soon. But as someone already mentioned, I'm sure some detox and change of diet might help.
I'm sorry to read how everyone is suffering but at the same time relieved to know that I'm not the only one. Maybe we will be able to help each other solve this mystery and offer some help through these posts.

I have been suffering with these symptoms on and off again for about 10 years. My eyelids get very swollen and irritated and the area below my eyes get puffy and red. The area is very hot, mildy itchy, tight and uncomfortable. My lips get very blistered and sometimes my ears get blisters too. It seems to come out of the blue and symptoms peak after a couple of days before getting better. It gets worse during the night and sometimes when I wake up I can't even open my eyes because they are so swollen from top to bottom. When the symptoms are at their worst, I'm almost unrecognizable.  After the symptoms subside, my skin is very dry and flaky. I used to think it was seasonal since it would usually come out twice year around April and October. I figured something in the environment was either blooming or dying off. I have also lived in two different areas during this time and have had the same symptoms.

Over the years I have been to allergists and dermatologists. I haven't gotten any clear answers from allergy testing. One allergist told me to get rid of all my rugs, bedding and pets! Another tested me for everything and told me that I was allergic to many foods that I have eaten my whole life and also molds, mildew, ragweed, etc. A few dermatologist have prescribed creams and ointments to provide relief from symptoms but as we know this is just a temporary solution.

I am in the middle of another flare up right now.  I had one the first week of January (the worst) and another one 2 weeks ago. This is unusual since I used to only get it once or twice a year.  These last few flare ups are the first since November 2008. I realized that I didn't have it once in 2009 and I'm not sure why. My levels of stress are usually the same, med-high to high, and I made no changes to my diet. I started taking Zyrtec after it came back the second time. I'm not sure how much it helped but the sypmtoms never got worse so I started taking it again. Benadryl has never helped. Blistex medicated lip ointment works best on the lips.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried the honey or apple cider vinegar and if it offered any relief. I find that cold compresses start out feeling great because the area is so hot but it feels worse once you take the cold away. I was going to try hot tea bags since warmth does provide relief to the area.

Thanks for your posts and I hope we all feel better soon.

There is no 'one size fits all' in the allergy business, but those with eczema, particularly when it's around the eyes, cheeks, neck, and shoulders, might want to google "Cocamidopropyl Betaine."  This is a surfactant that is a primary ingredient in virtually every shampoo and body wash on the market.  Either the compound itself or a common contaminant of it, amidoamine, has been shown to be an increasingly troublesome irritant.
I have similar problems that started about 3 weeks ago. I was never allergic to anything,  and I went out for dinner, had steak with lobster and mushrooms (which i have had many times before) and woke up with major swelling of my face, hands and feet and covered in rash (I looked like I was beaten up). The doctor told me to take benadryl, which did not seem to help and the next morning I woke up from pain because the size of my lips was 4x bigger than normal and my body was covered in rash. I have been taking prednisone, but once I am off it, the rash, swelling, itching comes back. The allergy tests did not show allergy to anything. I’ve stayed away from seafood but the swelling and rash, comes and goes, and are the worst in the morning. It is very frustrating as I am not able to figure out what the problem is.
Im thriled Im not the only one.Went to the dermatoligst today and she said figs, mango and other foods are commnon culprits. She also said cinnamon and whitening toothpasts are also knowns as being an issue. All of my makeup is in the garbage and only lotion i am allowed to use is cetaphil until its gets figured out. I also need to use only Dove to wash my face and need to be laundry det etc. with no dyes or chemicals plus fragrance free. Hoping I get answers since my mouth looks like a clown,
I am amazed to see all you you here with this same issue. I honesly thought I was the only one.  I have been to my primary care numerous times since October 08 when this all started. I was sent to a dermatologist and an allergist, and as you can imagine, I have had no luck. Just when I think a product is working, everything flares up again. The red itchy eyelids, the redness and puffiness around my lips, I am going crazy. At one point I thought it was my boyfriend because I had just started seeing him, but that has been ruled out. I have spent so much money on dealing with this.
Has anyone tried the KENALOG shot like I have read in a previous post? I am interested in finding out about this.
I have also read about Biotin being a good thing to take.
Is anyone still active on this post?  I am very interested in chatting about this.
Teresa
Has anyone tried the KENALOG shot? Please advise, very interested.
Thank you
Teresa
I am having these symptoms right now too.  Have had it off and on for the past several years.  Discouraging to see there are no answers.  My Doc. thought it was allergies too, put me on Allegra and my eyes are a little better, but not back 100%.  Maybe I'll try the Biotin as someone suggested.  Anything is better than this.

Please keep posting if anyone finds solutions.

Any thoughts about it being yeast related?
I have found that if I take about four 1,000 mg of vitamin C and four or five Odourless Garlic capsules before I go to bed I do not wake up with swollen itchy lips and swollen eyes. I also find that I can't drink too much Pepermint tea.

My sister made some salve out of the Calendula plant and bee's wax and it is wonderful, healing and soothing.
This is a shot in the dark. I haven't read all the posts, so I don't know if it has been mentioned. The thing that set me off was that you did not have the reaction when you were abroad.

Do you work in an office, or live in an apartment, where the windows do not open and all the heat, air conditioning, and just plain air is vented? I know that it is often the case that the system is disinfected with organophosphates and who knows what else. Organophosphates for sure is a poison, but I haven't heard of it giving these symptoms. (What it gave me was emphysema.)

If you do work or live in a place that is vented, take a sample of the air and have it tested.
It started with my lips, as if they were chaped and a bit swollen.  It slowly got worse so I had to stop using lipstick.  I think what was very unusual to my lip problem was that as soon as I used Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on it; it quickly felt normal again for an hour or so, until the Vaseline weard off and I needed to reapply.
Then I developed this very painful patch of skin on my muddle finger.  It would itch, blister and crack.  Even if I stopped myself (which was very difficult to do) from scratching it, the blisters would appear.  I used a steroid cream on it (a strong one I was prescribed for eczema I had on my legs) and in hours it cleared up.
I then had a similar but dryer itchy patch, which would not blister, on my left eyelid.  I got this after I used a new eye shadow.  I still have this but it is improving.  I put petroleum jelly on it before I sleep so it doesn’t get into my eye (watch this as it’s not comfortable to get this in your eye!) and it is slowly improving.  Don’t use steroid cream on the face as it will thin the skin too much.
I know this will sound bizarre, but I have found what was causing my allergy.  It is a hand wash which I was using at work.  As soon as I stopped using this my lips are normal and the patch on my hand has disappeared.  I have researched if something you use on your hands can have an effect on the lips and I did not manage to find anything, but believe me, they were connected.  I don’t think it was the hand wash being transferred from my hands to my lips b/c I just don’t do that.
I was using this hand wash for a year before I developed symptoms so be patient with finding your cause.  Try and remove things one by one from your environment and see which one it is.  And remember that you could be using it on a completely different part of your body!
Isn't it a kick to diagnose an ailment on your own? You have a good investigative mind and maybe you have helped others on this forum.
Read if you have the time.  I had a biopsy done yesterday.  I just read through everyone's posts.  I have had the same problem for over 10 years.  I have tried everything and more.  I go to a doctor every two years when I can't stand it anymore and don't want to be seen in public, not to mention how AWFUL the area around my mouth stings, itches, burns, cracks, and I peel EVERY day.  Yesterday I went to another dermatologist about 90 miles away.  He took a "punch", (a small chunk), of my skin right by my lip to have biopsied which I received three stitches and am sure I'll have a scar.  I am so desperate to find a cure I am willing to do anything at this point.  I have tried the natural products from a health store, stopped using flouride, all ointments, (including steroids that have turned my skin brown), steroid shots, etc.  The steroid shots start to clear it up, (about 50%), and a week later I'm back where I started.  I will be going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester to have a patch test done which can take up to a week.  My face reacted horribly at the dentist's office when they used a flouride paste on my teeth, (cleaning), which was red in color and had a cinnamon flavor.  My dentist said he'd never seen anything like it, (it flared up within minutes of using it).  My lips sting when I use mint flavored dental floss.  I started using distilled water to drink, brush my teeth, wash my face, etc. and it seemed to alleviate a lot of my problems when I was staying at a friend's house, but when I got home, I woke up with all of the symptoms again.  The only difference I could figure was that I had a feather pillow and down blanket, (and was using a liquid laundry soap).  I bought powder laundry soap and washed everything I own to see if this would alleviate my symptoms but hasn't and my face is the worst it's ever been.  I can also tell you that I am under some of the most stress ever at this time.  I started Singulair, an anti-depressent for the stress, vitamin B, and tetracycline, (for acne).  Still no help.  Most everything stings my lips, (foods, etc.).  It does not matter what the weather is like outside, (winter or summer).  I believe it has a lot to do with stress.  I had eczema on the inside of my elbows when I was a child.  I have fair skin.  My eyes will puff up in the inner corners and when the swelling goes down a few days later, I have to pull the skin tight to scrape the dead skin cells off.  As I mentioned earlier, I scrape a layer of dry skin off around my mouth, (which extends down my face and up to my nose), every morning and evening.  I asked the dermatologist yesterday how often the skin replaces itself and he told me every 36 days.  I am peeling every day.  Is it possible our body is in some sort of hyper-over-drive?  When I first tested for allergies 10 years ago they found out I was allergic to Dawn dishwashing liquid, Downy, and Herbal Essences shampoo.  Later, after doing my own research and meeting up with my doctor years later, I found out I'm allergic to ISOTHIAZALONE.  This is a preservative in liquids like almost every cleaning product.  I hope somebody re-posts an answer to the suffering.  I have taken pics and plan to post all over the internet a solution if I ever find one.  The only thing that is seemingly to get it under control at this point is Vanicream, (I bought a tub with a pump from the clinic pharmacy which seems to be thicker than the tube from the grocery store).  I have the medicine on right now from the dermatologist but it feels hot and uncomfortable and will probably go back to the vanicream and peeling off the skin until I get answers.  I put the cream on all day long and it seems to help tremendously.  It stung at first like really dry hands in the winter but stick with it.  It gets better within a couple days.  Take care and good luck.   P.S.  I am on protopic also but read it can be linked to skin cancer, (as does Elidel).  I used Elidel for years roughly around 1994 and and had melanoma, (skin cancer), on my thigh in 1998.  Not sure if there is a connection but it is scary stuff.  Google everything they prescribe you.
This is gonna be a long one but I have a lot of useful info: I am 40 yrs old and have had several bouts with eczema, 5-10 years ago. Mostly the waistband area, top of foot, etc.. Nothing major, claeared up with steroid creams (WHICH I DO NOT LIKE TO USE) within a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

At the end of February, I suddenly had a small patch of itchy, dry, crusty skin the size of a pencil eraser on my right eyelid. Next day- the size of a dime. A few days later- the size of a nikel, thick and crusty. Not too itchy. Meanwhile I continued to use the same products I had been using for years: As far as skin care and maintenance...All NEUTROGENA, for the most part, ie: anti wrinkle creams for eyes and face, day and night creams, face wash, foundation, etc. I have always trusted Neutrogena products. I love them! I assumed it was just stubborn dry skin.
2 1/2 weeks later it was not getting better and had jumped to another area of my eyelid. So I went to my dermatologist. He perscribed me a steroid cream called CLODERM to use 3x's a day. NO WAY! A steroid on my eyes that often. NO! So I only used it 1 or 2x's a day and continued to use my other products. Seemed to start getting better one day then came back, got better, came back, etc..Next thing it jumped to my other eyelid!  So I decided I would use it as he perscribed, 3x's a day. After 3-4 days, my eyelids were literally BURNED! They were nearly swollen shut, especially in the mornings, still not too itchy, but very red, wrinkling, sagging, peeling, painful!

Went to another dermatologist (Dr. Karen Maloney) who put me on a more gentle steroid cream called LOCOID LIPOCREAM. And another cream that I could use anytime, (to relieve the dryness and peeling) EPICREAM. After a few days of gradual healing, I woke up to brand new eyelids! They had completely peeled and left me with eyelids better than they were 10 yrs. ago! That lasted all of 24 hours! Then it was back to the burned, swollen, peeling craziness I had gone through before.
She then put me on a non-sterooid cream called ATOPICLAIR and VANICREAM. And also began testing for allergies. 14 patches, each with 10 chemicals. (140 chemicals) Things you would find in make-up, lotions, hair care, etc..  I stopped using any other products on my eyelids.
Meanwhile, at the suggestion of my dermatologist, Dr. Karen Maloney (an all around, rare and amazing human being for many reasons) I began a synbiotic therapy called FLORAJEN3 and an FOS POWDER reccomended to me by a very respectable pharmacist named Bob Listecki, in Glen Ellyn, IL...Smart man! He suggested I may have a yeast infection. (Yes! on my eyelids!)  Either way, I knew this therapy would help my general health even if it didn't help my eyes. He also suggested a multi-vitamin, like CENTRUM, lots of VITAMIN D and NO WHEAT/GLUTEN OR DAIRY FOR 2 WEEKS. Well, just a few days later, it has already begun to heal. This time they are peeling in a good way. VANICREAM is awesome to help with the peeling. I can see them getting better every day.
I got the results from the allergy test today and it shows that I am allergic to COMPOSITAE MIX and BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL. These types of thing are found in so many products. I now have a shopping list of products I can use. As far as hygiene: FREE & CLEAR (may need pharmacist to order it for you) products are big on the list and as far as make-up: BAREMINERALS is up there. and VANICREAM. Tons of other products for me to choose  from (way too many to list) but these are mentioned most.

As a side note, I was having a great day today. Happy to be healing after more than 2 1/2 months!  
Well, I drank red wine at lunch and my left eye started to itch and swell! Guess what? There's yeast and sulfates in red wine that tons of people are allergic too. I have been drinking red wine, using Neutrogena products, and eating wheat and dairy for decades! Your body can eventually say NO!

I suggest (and I wish I did) you keep a log/diary of the things you eat, drink and use on a daily basis and you will notice a trend. Hind-sight is 20/20 as they say and looking back now...the day of my first symptom I was drinking homemade red wine (which isn't regulated) and eating homemade biscotti, that week I drank a lot of red wine during a 'vacation' and ate tons of different cheeses, (italian, swiss, mexican, etc...) as of the last few months I have eaten wheat/oat/9 grain type breads, and during a stretch of about 4-5 weeks have baked about 25 loaves of Amish bread (and eaten it) with wheat flour. Citrusy margaritas (high fructose corn syrup!)  alcohol/beer ...YEAST! I stained the exterior of my house and I cant tell you how much stain ended up on my face, which I'm sure, just aggravated an already bad set of eyelids. I switched to TIDE recently which is on the towels I use to dry my face after a sweaty work-out (wide open, vulnerable pores) or after a shower. The list goes on.....

I have learned alot in the last couple of months. I am gonna make it a point to eat/drink as best as I can. Everything is ok in moderation. I'm not gonna be a freak or preach about it but but I need to make some changes.

Also... ask yourself...Why are so many unnecessary chemicals used in so many products and foods and drinks, etc... Why is it allowed to happen? Who benefits from this? Not us, that's for sure!
Thank you DDB and others, I think you've just helped confirm what I've been trying to confirm for myself.  I'm on the verge of trying a yeast cleanse as I've had most of the same symptoms as everyone here.  The only one food ingredient that I thought might contribute to this condition (for myself) has been salt, but maybe it's just an over indulgence in a multitude of items such as breads, sugars and wine.  I work for an airline so travel a lot and eat a wide assortment of "bad" foods.  Maybe the body says "enough already" in more ways than one.  I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried a cleanse (I'm going to try the Wild Rose detox) and what, if any, the results have been.
Okay, I'm back.
When I was at the dermatologist this past Wednesday, he prescribed a yeast medication to put around my mouth.  It's called Ketoconazole 2% cream.  It has been working a miracle.  I use it twice a day and whenever I remove the dead skin cells.  I rub vanicream on top and use that throughout the day.  My skin is looking healthy and the redness is going away.  I strongly suggest trying it.  I will keep you posted on my progress.  Good luck everyone.
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
Good (not really good) to hear that I'm not alone. The exact same thing has happened to me and it has been back and forth for a few years now and not until now I've decided to really do something about it.

Just as many of you I get really swollen, red, itchy eyelids and dry cracked lips. I've been looking into the reasons behind it since I've tried many creams including hydrocortisone and most of them work for the time being, but after a few days it's back to where I started.

As I just did a quite heavy detox for 4 weeks (no gluten, yeast, alcohol, coffein etc + lots of water) there's a few factors that I can exlude.

I've read most of your entries and has come to the following conclusion of reasons for our conditions:

— Allergic to yeast (probably not in my case)
— Allergic to gluten (probably not in my case)
— Drink more water (probably not in my case)
— Allergic to dust (I'm confirmed allergic)
— Get more acidophilus (enriched milk, low sugar yoghurt) (possible)
— Allergic to cocamidopropyl betaine (possible)
— Eat more vitamins (possible)

Dust in my case is prob the biggest factor since I live with a carpet (I live in australia where every damn apartment has one). I have also realized that when I use any products in my face, my condition get worse.

I have now started to write a log to keep track of what I eat, products I use, vitamins I take etc. I just started so I'll let you know how I go.

/H
Hi again, in for a quick update on my condition.

I've used a cream called Chlorsig, contains chloramphenicol, for a few days now and the symptoms on my eyelids as well as lips has almost fully disappeared! A few people I've talked to thought my condition could be a result of the dry and cold weather which led me to try to use more sensitive moisturizer which also seemed to work! Not really sure which one out of these two that really helped me but I'm feeling way better now! I'm only meant to use the cream for about 5 days so we'll see what happens after that. I've got an appointment booked in with a skin specialist as well as an allergy test so that'll be interesting to hear what they say. Have also been keeping track of everything that gets into my body as well as applied on it and I can rule out a few more things by now. I can really recommend keeping a log of what you do, eat and products that you use. Write down everything it COULD be and just cross them off as you go.

H
Hi everyone, I just joined and wanted to say that a few years ago, (I think it was 5), I started getting red, swollen, itchy eyes.  There were times my eyelids would be totally purple and almost swollen shut!  Did the allergy scratch test and the only thing that showed up (only slightly) were some trees.

I was in super stressed work environment....learned later that stress itself causes toxins to build up in your body....hmmm...makes total sense.  

THEN, I found a great doc who got me started on nutritional cleansing.
It's different from the cleanses you hear about because it cleanses AND replenishes simultaneously.  

He started me on a low gradient cleanse.  It was easy and didn't cause the detox symptoms you hear about with other cleansing programs.  After about 4 months, my symptoms starting disappearing and haven't returned!  I've continued with this program and occasionally go for a deeper cleanse when my body tells me it needs to.   As my cells started getting healthier, the emotional and stress issues came to the surface.  He also guided me to identify and unwind many of those components....that was huge!

Hope this helps.  

Well, results are back from my biopsy, "dermatitis", (duh).  Anyway, I am allergic to Isothiazolinone, (a.k.a. methylisothiazolinone).  It is in most if not all liquid cleaning products to prevent microorganisms from growing, (a preservative).  I recently found out that it is in antibacterial soap and hand sanitizer, (as well as liquid laundry soap, dishwashing liquid, hairspray, etc.).  I feel like an idiot.  I am in school for nursing and hand sanitizer, (and antibacterial soap), is everywhere.  

Check it out.  My daughters have had to clean the tub for years because my face would get terrible after using cleaning products.  I try not to let my shampoo and conditioner run down my face.  Try staying away from any liquid products, (from your face and not touching your face), and see if that makes a difference.  I am now using bar soap and have everything under control, but am still using the vanicream.  Probably my last post.  Good luck everyone!
You may be right on with the comment about cocamidopropyl betaine.  I looked it up and found out it is also called CMIT.  If anyone googles it, look up "derivative cmit".  It is also known as Methylchloroisothiazolinone and is in common household products such as shampoos and conditioners.  I just wrote a blog about Isothiazolinone, (Methylisothiazonlinone which is a preservative), a few minutes ago.  It causes eczema-like conditions, just like everyone has been experiencing.   I think we have something here.....
Sounds like that could be what has happened to me too. What kind of products are you allowed to use then? Should I get special washing powder etc?

Ironically I'm allergic to dust as well as (most def) most cleaning products.
Have you got any good moisturizers to recommend that won't kill my face? Heard that dermalogica is good thanks to it's all natural ingredients. Maybe it has still got Methylchloroisothiazolinone in it...
Hi, all.  Was curious to hear how Linda is doing and if her lips have cleared up sense avoiding Isothiazolinone?  I have had the same lip issue for several years and now it has attacked my eye - large swollen red circles around one eye that comes and goes.  I have been to every doc imaginable but none really know what it is.  Went to an allergist who told me I was allergic to many,many, foods, environmentals and chemicals (including Isothiazolinone).  Initially, avoiding the chemical helped significantly but now it is back in full force.  It is so frustrating.  I have noticed on many of these forums that many of us experiencing this are women.  Recently went to a Naturopathic Dr who is trying to help me figure it out.  She thinks it is hormonal.  If our hormones are not balanced then we can become hyperallergic and reactive.  This can also affect men and younger women but primarily women between 30-50 when hormones are depleting rapidly.  She did find that I had very low progesterone and she is going to run some thyroid tests as well.  Maybe the source of the hypersensitivity is hormones - either an imbalance or an allergic reaction to our own hormones (which I have read is more popular than we think).  This dr is also running test to rule out yeast/candida and parasites.  There are many similarities with our issues and corn allergy.  Corn is everywhere!  Even where you don't think (beer, citric acid, suclose, maltodextrin, etc. etc.).  Could be another potential cause.  Maybe we can all help each other elliminate possibilities through our stories.  I am surprised that some have these issues but allergy testing has come back negative.  hmmmm.....
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your stories.
I too have on and off strange lip allergies. I went to the dentist Monday Oct. 2nd for a teeth cleaning and I was given ProENAMEL for tooth care and three days after using the product my lips began to feel funny and bubble. My husband bought me ABREVA for cold sores (which I have not ever had one before?) I used it and it stung like crazy. I have the swollen, burning, red-chapped, lips. I have since quit using the toothpaste. It is not uncommon for me to be allergic to toothpaste products. Usually my gums will get red and swell or get sores in my mouth. The only products that are okay with me are natural tea tree toothpaste or Pepsodent. My lips look terrible. Hopefully the swelling will go down by work this coming Monday. - Signed "Battle w/ using mostly all toothpastes" :(
News:

I went to see some doctors and skin specialists and my condition was apparently very sensitive skin. During winter and colder periods I'm meant to use lots and lots of moisturisers and the reason why my lips and eyes got super irritated when soap and stuff was basically because it dried out the skin. I'm now using lots of moisturisers and similar (hydrocortisone when needed, since the skin specialist said it's all fine to use in face as long as you use it very sparely). So in my case I wasn't allergic to any kind of products (that I know of) Some allergy tests showed though that I'm very allergic to mites which is interesting.

Another problem has arisen though. My eyes are still very dry and itchy and it has started to come out lots of white-yellowish stuff from them. A lot of the time it seems to be stuck between the skin and eye and my eyes are very watery and sometimes very red and irritated. Could this be because of the products I use around the eyes?

Please help, I'm going mad!

Thanks,
H
And btw, in regards to people thinking it could be connected to food in any way, my doctors told me that this is probably not the case. They pretty much said that it's most definitely contact related since food allergies rather gives you stomach cramps and similar.

Hi Everyone,

I'm back to let you know how I'm doing.  I have not had one problem since I stopped using anything with Isothiazolinone in it, (including my shampoo and conditioner).

To the person who was at the dentist... I had the same problem and they figure is was due to the cinnamon in the flouride treatment they gave me when they cleaned my teeth which is very common I guess.  My guess could also be the anti-bacterial agents they use in the office such as the soap and hand sanitizer.

I know I am allergic to Isothiazolinone.  It is in almost every liquid, (cleaning agents especially).  It keeps the liquids from growing mold, (bacteria and microbes).  It is a preservative.  My conditioner on my hair was touching my eye area when I was blowdrying my hair which explains why my eyelids were sore, swollen, and peeling.  Besides all of the trouble around my mouth and nose area.  I will not be posting again and I hope my blogs have helped some of you.  It's an awful experience, (I had for over 12 years), and I wouldn't wish this on anyone.  Good luck and take care!

Linda
Hi Hampus,

I am using bar soap.  I am using VO5 shampoo & conditioner.  If I have to use a liquid soap like at a restaurant, I rinse and rinse my hands and dry off (scrub) with a papertowel.  Then I try not to touch my face at all.  I took all of my clothing, towels, bedding, etc. and re-washed them in powder laundry soap which I continue to use today.  I do not use any liquid fabric softener (used to use Downy every load but now I show allergic symptoms after I hug somebody with it on their clothes).  I do use Bounce fabric sheets.  I use rubber gloves to clean my bathroom.  I do still use Dawn dishwashing liquid but this is the only thing I haven't been able to give up yet.  It was a bummer having to use VO5 but I had no choice.  Watch any liquids for isothiazolinone, or derivative of it, (like in our earlier conversations).  Take care and good luck!!!!!
Same story as most of you.  Started out of the blue, been going on for over seven months and driving me crazy.  Steriod pills/shots/creams help for a week then comes back, often worse.  In and out of doctors offices that proved useless.  I work in construction and have actually taken a medical leave due to this.  I am aggressively trying to resolve and get answers.  I had patch tests done, quaternium-15 and formaldehyde were culprits.  These are often in construction and also cosmetic products.  A couple of days off of work, and my symptoms improved dramatically.  I thought that I had my answer, yet symptoms have returned, though not as severe.  I finally went to a Holistic Doc, and walked out of the office with some hope, instead of terribly depressed.  She mentioned the health risks of Genetically Modified foods and since they have been introduced, the rate of people experiencing weird "allergies" and unexplained health problems has sky-rocketed.  Pretty much our bodies can get really confused, because cells/dna etc... are being manipulated in ways that we can't even possibly begin to know how they will affect us.  We are being poisoned in our food and in the products we use.  Just a thought to consider...  so I have gathered that this problem has many variables.  I am interested in the possibility of this being a hormonal issue...  in fact, I will be getting tests done soon to look at this, but I have to wait until a certain time in my cycle to drop.  Also, toxicity in the body seems to be a concern and I was warned to not do a crazy detox yet, because if your body is too weak, a strong detox can actually do more harm than good. I am waiting on the results of blood tests/ food allergy tests etc...  Basically, the doc is gathering info right now and I am trying to reduce toxins and avoid chemicals...  Maybe multiple chemical sensitivities, an overload and our bodies are wigging out.  One website on mcs, suggested that we are the canaries that prove things are really f'd up( the story of bringing canaries into the mines, if they stopped singing or dropped dead, the miners knew it was time to get their butts out of there)  Meaning, that things need to change.  We are the ones getting sick now, but eventually everyone will suffer. Just something to consider...  
So I have read this entire thread and want to share my experience.

I'm 30 years old and have been SUFFERING with chronic itching, peeling, cracking, blistering, oozing lips since I was 15-years-old. The only temporary relief I get is from Aquafor, which I'm completely obsessed with and have to have it by my side 24/7. I probably apply 20+ times per day.

I never had an allergy until I had a reaction to a HepB shot and very soon after got mono then developed what I thought were food allergies and maybe they are. I have had multiple allergy tests, skin *****, IgG, and even the ALCAT which shows I'm allergic to pretty much every food under the sun.

Daily, I use Aveeno and Neutrogena tinted moisturizer. I started using both @ around 16-years-old. I will cut them out and see if things improve. Will check in. I will be SO happy to find a cure for this. I don't think people realize how awful it is. Every single time I eat, my mouth blows up like a balloon and then oozes and weeps. Gross.
The problem is YEAST. Sugar feeds yeast. Stress, lack of sleep and for some sometimes  a change in hormonal levels (especially for women) plus YEAST overgrowth contributes to these problems. Try taking Diflucan or another medication  used to treat yeast. Also Tea Tree Oil and Vitamin E placed on affected areas help a great deal. (Tea Tree Oil has anti-fungal/ anti- bacterial properties). Reduce your stress, take the yeast medication and CHANGE YOUR DIET (eat some yogurt). Just be aware, taking a medication such as Diflucan and not changing your diet will do nothing. Anything that feeds yeast is what you need to monitor! Also, someone wrote something about their tongue having a mapped appearance.. that's geographical tongue... just another symptom of an overgrowth of yeast. Take a medication to treat yeast and watch your tongue clear right up and look a beautiful pink! Also, be sure to take your vitamins. You're probably deficient in Zinc or one of the B- vitamins. Be sure to take Vitamin C- that helps with overgrowth of yeast and take your multivitamin every day! Also, wash your pillow cases and get new makeup. Good luck!
THANK YOU.  You are completely right.  I have the eye and lip problems everyone is talking about so I took a Diflucan immediately after I read your post, 9 days ago.  The itching stopped completely, the skin flaked then began to look normal again within 2 days. Unfortunately, the problem is coming back.  I have been off sugar, bread, vinegar for 9 days now and I am taking probiotics (and eating yogurt and cottage cheese). I am also taking flax seed oil and drinking tons of water.  I am completely detoxing and just hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Is there an anti-fungal/anti-yeast cream I can put on my eyes and lips in the mean time???
I just re-read some of the posts above.  I am going to the dermatologist tomorrow morning and will ask him to prescribe me Ketoconazole and/or Chlorsig and Vanicream. Going into the dermatologist's office with a solution rather than a problem should be a welcome relief for him :)
Well, my dermatologist prescribed me the Ketoconazole hesitantly.  He believes this reaction is from me moving into a new office building a few months ago.  He could be right, considering my symptoms started a month after we moved in (to include some patches of eczema on my arm (and I haven't had eczema for 5 years).  I will keep you posted on my progress with the Ketoconazole. BTW, I'm using a layer of Ketoconazole with a layer of Aquaphor over it.
hi all
to cut a long story short (seeing as i wrote a long one but it didnt work :( )
for 7 months i have been battleling what has turned into chronic dermatitis.
im in oz so healthcare is more available and i have been to several doctors and 2 dermatologists.
i woke up one morning in winter with red circles around both eyes like a racoon.
the skin was all wrinkly and gross. looked old ( im 24 now was 23, female)
took prednisone and it came back worse. eventually it spread from my whole face down to my thighs and was especially red and raw and weeping on my neck and chest (thats not to say my face didnt look god awful because it did)
it was the most demoralising thing ive ever experienced and i have experienced alot in my life.

everyone kept asking if i was stressed which i suppose i was because i was so itchy! my skin leaked a weird smell too. now that i look back it smelt a bit like cloves and poison which is so relevant now that i know the cause:

the dermatologist did a patch test on my back of 40 something household chemicals/products. I was allergic to sunscreen and something else, but the most important allergy which sounds like you guys might have was to BALSAM OF PERU.

its in food and its in almost every skin/haircare product out there. look it up!
its a tree gum used to flavour or fragrance things.

think cinnamon, cloves, spices, any perfume or fragrance, lots of flavourings, curries :(

i was put on an immunosuppressant drug called cyclosporin which is similar to steroids but not so hardcore and its really helped "suppress" my symptoms. can only be on it for 6 months havent noticed any bad side effects they use it for psoriais amoung many other ailments. apparently when im off the meds my skin isnt going to be pretty i can see it coming through even though im on this stuff. but its really given me a life. without them i dont know what id do/ will do.

so this allergy i have to:

wash clothes in just hot water (its fine, doesnt smell)

avoid all sweets, chocolates, fizzy drinks, tonic water, bought juice (i drink soda water, straight juiced juice is ok but no citris! ) its in the flavourings and is serious i just drank lemonade stupidly last night and woke up with swollen eyes again.

use QV skin products NO products with fragrance. i use NUDE mineral makeup its perfect so glad i found it.

avoid any red sauces, spice, tomatoes, nutmeg, no curries, pizza, red pastas, no cakes or sweet baked goods or any vanilla flavourings they are really bad.

its SOOOOOO hard to avoid all of this for me, so hard. sometimes i notice if i do have some of this stuff or come in contact with fragrance, when im drying myself after a shower i can smell cloves, and THIS IS EXACTLY what BALSAM OF PERU is supposed to smell like!

avoid toothpaste too i brush with baking soda and water, i had massive rash around my mouth from this and using carmex which has vanilla flavouring in it.

:( im so sorry to hear that we all have this disability, it really is a disability. should have more help for it and doctors should care! life quality really does dwindle i couldnt go anywhere and when i did i felt as small as a bee yet as obvious as a blue elephant....

my next step is to be reallllllly strict, i have been able to drink on the cyclosporin and im young and i stupidly have still be drinking vodka. i need my liver to repair and so yeah healthy diet completely is my next step.
at least im losing weight :S
The Ketoconazole chemically burned my skin!  I know now, without a doubt, that it is my BRAND NEW OFFICE BUILDING that is causing my reaction on my eyes and lip, as well as the eczema on my arm.  My boss has since started breaking out in eczema as well because she has sensitive skin.  (My office building is brand new, so everything is off-gassing and we are not allowed to open the windows.  This is TOXIC.)  

MY PROBLEM IS SOLVED; I hope you will take a second look at your home or your place of business as the potential cause.
OK...here I am, going on 62 and all of a sudden I get the itchy face and swollen puffy skin from the eyes to the bottom of my neck and I wake up looking like the Marshmallow WOMAN!!!  YIKES!!

I have been reading all the posts here...I might be totally wrong, but let's look at this.

I noticed my swollen face AFTER I moved from a suburb of Chicago to a FARM community.  I first experienced this AFTER the first new crops were being planted!!!  I blamed it on the fertilizer dust that was blowing ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

But then everything was planted, growing and I periodically would get the swollen puffy morning reaction and would want to itch the first layer off my face!!!  I also had an incredibly red layer of blood coming to the surface of the shins of my legs!!!  Very scarry and I was miserable.

I did the same thing that you ALL have done, threw everything out, used vaseline because it was the only thing that seemed to help and never associated air, food or water with this at all.

Then AGAIN, for no reason at all, my morning face appears again...I was really stumped...what in the world is going on???  HORMONES!!!!!!!!  My menopause hasn't reared it ugly head in 5 or 6 years...now what??

AND then I though, THAT is just what it is...It is our world.  The air, water and food that we eat...well of course you're not going to quit breathing, drinking water or eating food...

BUT!!!!!!!  The air if full of chemicals, the water is more polluted now from run off fertilizers and the food we eat is covered with it.

I can't quit breathing, but I got a water filter that filters everything and connects to the sink faucet and I also bought one for the shower head too...after only 3 days this change, the redness on my face decreased and the itch went away!!!

I am drinking the water, peeling all my fruit that has flesh that I would normally eat and I haven't had a reaction for the longest time...I would say about 2 and 1/2 months or so.

NOW I am following this new healthy eating program that I saw on tv and completely forgot about being real diligent about peeling my apples and washing the grapes and WA-LA!!  Friday morning I woke up with a slightly PUFFY and RED face!!!!!!!   AS REBA WOULD SAY  --  KKRRRAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!

I never stopped drinking the filtered water.  I did go out and buy some mason jars for water transportation though.  I even thought that maybe the old water bottles (plastic) I using over and over (kept them to keep them out of the landfill) maybe they were getting old and breaking down or something and I needed a new water carrier of some kind.  SOOOOO, mason jars it was!! Works great and I have gotten rid of plastic in my whole world for EVERYTHING!!!  I use the larger mason jars for refrigerator and freezer storage, too.  Works great!!

For my itch, in the past I have used Lanacaine cream, original strength, for Itch and irritation plus it is Anti-Bacterial and IT IS WONDERFUL!!!  Moisturizes, stops the itch on contact, and has a 1-800 number on the box if you have questions.  NO I DO NOT WORK FOR LANACAINE...I have been searching for ONE whole year for itch relief...and after buying everything there was on Wal-marts shelves, this is the only thing that worked for me.

This process of eliminating the chemical fertilizers in my life has been the only thing that has STOPPED THE ITCH.  I also went to my health food store and purchased a whole body cleanse product just to see if that helped too....on the 4th or 5th day, I was a new person.  I even lost about a pound a day.

Well, that's all I have for now.  I really hope this helps someone out there.  Good Luck everyone and God Bless....
Patty the Cleaning Lady
I am patmaus 8 at comcast dot net
I get very dry, cracked lips and the edge of my lips turn red and irritated. They hurt so bad and scab and peel. They also get cold sores all the time. I also get dry patches of skin all the time. My eyebrows itch along with most of my body.

I figured out it was my shampoo. I had to cut out any sodium or sulfates in my shampoo, conditioner, face cleaners etc. It takes it away but it is so hard to find a shampoo with out these ingredients.

I am not a vegetarian. I do have MS. So I am not sure if having MS has something to do with it. This allergy developed out of nowhere.
I had a swollen flaky itchy red eyelid on my left side only and severly chapped lips.  Turns out I had a reaction to the laundry detergent that was used to wash my pillow case. I always sleep on my left side which explains why it was only on that side.
Reading this with interest.  I have not, to my knowledge, ever been allergic to anything, and I turn 54 this month. However, I have psoraisis (psoriasis) and the dermas have been useless.  I also have outrageous "dermatitis" in my scalp -- not just flakes, but huge chunks of stuf f(ish!) and also, constant sloughing off of skin behind my ears (in sheets like tissue paper) and "dermatitis" inside my ears, too. Dermas, again have been useless -- prescribed all kinds of stuff, none of it has worked.  What HAS worked better than any of the shampoos or ointments is TEA TREE SHAMPOO. I read this as a suggestion -- and Trad'r Joe's has a tea tree/peppermint shampoo (very inexpensive).  I bought it, and added a lot more tea tree oil which you cn easily buy.  It seems to "glue" the sales to my head better than anything I've found.  I have felt for 5+ years that something "systemic" is going on -- but typical GP (with no training in nutrition, and only taught to name it and prescribe for it) pooh-pooh'ed this.  Probably because he's known me for 15 years and I'm slim, healthy, low blood pressure, low cholesterol, very healthy.  but my skin has aged about 10 years in the last year...and I do feel like I hae thought floating around in my head...and wish I could catch one and "land" it.  Well, two things:  I read about the "yeast" (candida) -- and started taking probiotics a few months ago.  IT's about 20 for a box of Jarrow brand, so not expensive and "they can't hurt"... my mom and aunts and grandmother had what they called 'sour stomach" -- I have always been able to eat anything.  For the past few days, the psoraisis (psoriasis) spots on the front of my calves and below my elbows have been much better...but today I have it on my face (at least it's gone from my eyelids -- THAT is painful!)    I have alwas been a big fan of peanut butter...and eatne a lot of it in every possible form.  But lately, I've begun suspecting...so I changed to Sunflower butter (delicious! Can get it at Trad'r Joe's...)  Today, my admin handed me a Reese's peanut butter cup.  I hadn't eaten anything for a couple of hours and 10 minute later -=- bingo!  Lips, eyes and face are burning.  I'm stunned -- why this should come on at this late point in my life, I don't know.  I was even tested 3 years ago for food allergies --and peanuts caused no reaction!   One other thing: Living in San Francisco means there are some excellent traditional Chinese medicine practitioners here (including some taught at the huge, modern TCM hospital in Beijing).  I went to a woman who has an excellent reputation doing integrated holistic therapies (nutrition, acupuncture, massage).  I was so annoyed, saying how I'd tried to tell my doc 5 years ago that something was "systemically" wrong.  She was very calm then said that doctors do not have ANY training in nutrition, so I'm talking to the wrong person.  she said it would be like asking her to do surgery -- she doesn't know anything about it.  I later spoke with a friend who is a doctor and he said what she said was abolutely true -- that they had had ONE WEEK on nutrition in all of med school (and HOW many weeks on pharmacology????)
I have had exactly the same symptoms for the past three months. They came up out of the blue and are DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I am 20 years old, have always had asthma and hayfever, am allergic to wheat and dust mites and all the usual things such as grass etc..! But I have just started blowing up for no good reason!

I have an idea that it might be pumpkin - has anyone else been eating pumpkin?!

I have been to the doctor - a lot! And he says my symptoms (swollen eye lids and lips) are typical of a food or medication allergy. I have an appointment with an Immunologist in August so hopefully he will be able to help me!

My doctor has tried as hard as he can to keep me off steroids because I am on prednisone enough for my asthma, I don't want to take any more of it! But I know it would help, so the next flare up I get I will be put onto cortisone. But everyone talking about steroids is right - they only mask the symptoms, they're only a temporary 'feel good' thing and can't be taken for long periods of time because they're bad for you!!

Lately my bottom lip has started swelling as well and my doctor has expressed concern that it may be getting worse and I need to monitor for signs of anaphylaxis... argh!

I don't wear any makeup, don't put moisturiser or any products on my face. It has happened in many different envioronments - house sitting, at home, down the coast, at a friend's place etc... so I don't think it is environmental in the way of dust etc...

If anyone has any more ideas please let me know! Otherwise, if I remember, I'll post back once I've seen the Immunologist and hopefully I'll have some break-through treatment to share!
I've posted several times as I find out more information.  Bottom line is that the peeling, cracked, bleeding, swollen skin on your face is from contact, (not something you ingested), or it would be a rash and show up in delicate areas like your stomach or buttocks.

Parabens are in almost everything, including makeup.  It is even in facial powder and eyeshadow, (not to mention liner, lipstick, mascara, shampoo, etc.).  Avoid parabens.

Isothiazolinone, (including methyl- and chloro).  These are in laundry detergents, hand soaps, etc.  This is a preservative to keep the liquids from microbes.

And lastly, I avoid benzoates when I can because it is also a preservative but I'm not as careful about this one.

I am not hormonal, (had radical hysterectomy when I was 31).  I do believe the body goes crazy when it is toxic and you need to cut everything as much as possible.  

I use neutrogena glycerine bar soap, (found in makeup remover aisle in Target), to wash my hands and face.  I hate the natural food store shampoos so I buy what I want for my hair, making sure it doesn't get on my face and then washing my face with the neutrogena last at the end of my shower.  I use only powder laundry soap and bounce dryer sheets.  I found makeup very sporadically at Target & Walmart, (like PARABEN and isothiazolinone-freeTarget eye shadow, Almay makeup, etc. but they are all being discontinued one-by-one because nobody purchases them).  I have just ordered Bare Minerals makeup, (expensive but what else can a person do), that is free from these chemicals.

If you have any questions on what to use, send me an email.  I only come on here every few months but you can email me at lindag333@hotmail if you like and I would be more than happy to help you out.  I have done EXTENSIVE research on this subject and have been free of these symptoms for 1 1/2 years!!!!  (I suffered for 12 years.)  Not a sign of irritation after changing all of my products one-by-one!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!
yea i only get a swollen eye when ever im like skateboarding or running outside plus then that's when my allergy kicks in. but its only my left i that gets swollen never the right eye. i do take Allegra Allergy helps with my runny nose but im not sure if it helps with my swollen left eye. i have one of the worst allergy's ever which really *****. MY LIFE lol yea but does anyone know why my left eye gets swollen whenever i do stuff like that?  
I tried to read through all the comments here but did not see anyone mention SJOGREN'S SYNDROME.

I've come to believe that this syndrome is what I suffer from and it sounds like many of you may too. Apparently the medical community is not really aware of this problem, and I suspect that it is not as rare as the doctors may think. It strkes women primarily and has wide ranging symptoms of dryness on the body and in some internal organs. Itchy, dry, blistery, puffy, cracking lips are my biggest problem, along with dry facial patches, dry eye, periodic heartburn, fatigue, dizzyness. If you haven't found a source to your problem and Sjogren's hasn't been ruled out by a derm or your regular physician, you may want to be tested for it.

My naturopathic doc helped me to understand also that besides food allergies, food sensitivities can cause any number of problems and are often a sort of "delayed reaction" days later, and manifest in and on your body in strange ways. On top of that and the daily chemical bombardment we all deal with, the ELECTROMAGNETIC stuff we all now use every day, not to mention the microwave, (which modifies the molecular structure of food and "kills" the vitamins) they all cause a variety of physical ailments.

I am not a doctor, but I have come through a long life of searching for answers to medical problems that began more than thirty years ago and I have lost faith in western medicine. I figure it can't hurt to eliminate the bad and try to go natural in finding solutions to your health problems.

Good luck to everyone in finding a solution to their own problem, and please keep sharing when you have success with something!
hi, im 14 years old and i have the same symptoms. itchy eyes dry chap lips that are constantly itchy, and usage of lip balm. i think what the problem is the skin disorder exzima. its like allergies on steriods. it makes my lips swollen and red all over and my eyes are so sensative. what i do for make up is that i wash my face w/ this face cleanser that says morning blast and its makes your face feel cool after. then i apply chapstick AROUND my lips and apply concealer or press powder on the red spots. i take bendryll and its seems to work but im not guarenteeing it will go away forever its just an improvment.
I posted about my skin condition nearly a year ago.  My skin sensitivities have been heightened this past year just because of my exposure to VOCs in my office building a year ago. (Although my reactions are nothing like they were when I was working in the building.)  I went to an acupuncturist/herbalist for 4 months and it didn't seem to help.  I am now working with a CNC (certified nutrition consultant?) and she is saving my life.  These four books have answered all of my questions:  Digestive Wellness by Lipski, Healing Psoriasis by Pagano, I was Poisoned by My Body by Gilbere, and Chemical Sensitivity (a Keats Health Guide).  If you read these books, follow the recommendations and find a good alt-health doctor I guarantee you will not need to search for answers to your skin issues on message boards like these ever again.  My CNC cured herself from fibromyalgia.  As you will read in Digestive Wellness, everything is connected to the gut.  Our inflammatory issues are all likely from something called Leaky Gut Syndrome (even if you have never had a stomach/bowel issue in your life, like me).  This inflammation causes everything from food allergies and migraines to eczema/psoriasis/arthritis, lupus and fibromyalgia.  Our bodies are unable to filter out toxins like other people's so they are literally coming out of our skin. There is also evidence that we are unable to absorb vitamins and minerals like other people so your diet is so important.  There is hope and there are answers to be found in so many books on leaky gut and eczema. MDs will not be able to help you; they only treat the symptoms.  The steroids they give to treat the symptoms make leaky gut worse, which further toxifies your body and prolongs your recovery. All pharmaceuticals, for that matter, are treated as toxins in your body, therefore birth control pills are one of the main causes of LGS...you can read about it in Digestive Wellness.  I never had eczema and inflamed hands and feet until I started taking birth control at 19. I took b.c. until I was 30 (I'm 32 now) so I have a lot of recovering to do.  If you want to get well, you are not alone, and you can do it by detoxifying and taking pure supplements a CNC/alt medicine doc recommends for you.  I wish everyone my best.  
HERE IS HOW I GOT MY ECZYMA ON MY EYELIDS AND LIPS UNDER CONTROL!

FOLLOW EVERYTHING I HAVE DONE AND I'M SURE IT WILL HELP!

1) Apple Cider Vinegar (Organic from Trader Joes)

I found this on the website listed below and I believe it has helped.  First you pour two table spoons of the Apple Cider Vinegar in a cup,.  Then add 1/4 of a tablespoon of baking soda (to neutralize the acid VERY IMPORTANT).  Allow the baking soda to stop fizzing and then add two cups of water.  It will gross you out slightly at first but you will get used to it.  Drink it SLOWLY do not chug!  Drink it over roughly 3-5minutes.  Do this TWO times a day.

2) STOP PUTTING CREAMS ON YOUR EYELIDS

Did you ever put any creams or steroids on your eyelids before this problem?  THEN STOP NOW!

3) STOP ITCHING YOUR EYELIDS!!!!!!!!

I cannot stress this enough.  I know it may drive you insane, want to punch your partner/ neighboring coworker, but YOU MUST STOP ITCHING!  Ice packs from walgreens/cvs with a towel wrapped around them will help with the temporarily out of control itching.  If unavailable, goto the sink and rinse cold cold water on them.  Make sure your hands are clean and just splash, do NOT rub!

4) Eyelid Hygeine- Wash with Johnson + Johnson Baby Shampoo

Take a shot glass/small cup and pour a dime sized amount of J&J Baby shampoo into it.  Mix with equal parts water to dilute and stick your CLEAN hands into the cup,  VERY GENTLY rub your eyelids back and forth (horizontally on the eyelashes).  Allow it to sit for 10-20 seconds and then rinse with VERY COLD water.  THIS WILL REDUCE ITCHINESS IMMENSELY!  Very important!

After you have done this, grab two slices of previously refrigerated and washed ORGANIC cucumber and place them on your eyes.  This will MOISTURIZE naturally and avoid any moisturizers with irritants in them.

5) Stop washing your face with cleansers and if you can, do not moisturize.  If you work, take a friday off and if you must shower, use just water to wash your face.  (I believe the natural oils in your body will begin to help moisturize your skin).  Wash your body and hair with Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo.  Moisturize your body with Aveeno if you have no allergies to it, but try to leave your face free of moisturizes, especially your eyes!

6) Get a semi-decent Humidifier, do not spend more than 50$.  Take it everywhere you go if possible and it will help to keep your body moist inside and out.

7)  Hot Compresses on Your Eyelids.

Boil some water on the stove and allow it to cool slightly.  Dip a clean paper towel inside the water and test the heat on your hand.  If it is too hot, wait a few seconds and then test again.  When it is hot, but not too hot to burn, place it on your eyelids and apply VERY slightly pressure.  When the rag cools, dip it in the water, making sure its not too hot to burn, and close one eye.  Watching with your open eye, rub the hot towel along the eyelash area of the closed eye.  Again, VERY LITTLE PRESSURE.  When you are done, reapply the cucumber slices as mentioned above.

8)  PROBIOTICS TO THE RESCUE

Goto Whole Foods (or a health store) and get yourself some high quality probiotics.  I take one pill 30-45 minutes after dinner each night and let it do its magic over night.

9) STOP EATING BREAD + MEAT

I'm no vegan/vegitarian/pesciatrian, but for one week I gave my digestive system a break.  I stopped eating meat (especially beef) and bread (I never realized how much bread we eat on a daily basis) for an entire week.  IT IS NOT THAT HARD AND YOUR BODY WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT.

After 3-5 days you WILL notice a difference and in my case I was nearly 100% in one week.

(http://writen4u.hubpages.com/hub/Ill-have-the-eczema-and-a-side-of-vinegar)
10) CHANGE YOUR LAUNDRY DETERGENT

STOP USING HIGH EFFICIENCY (HE) DETERGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto Whole foods and Grab their PLANET Ultra Powered Laundry Detergent.  It has VERY little, and very natural ingredients in it, with NO FRAGRANCES (AVOID FRAGRANCES LIKE THE PLAGUE).  

11) CHANGE YOUR HANDSOAP

Use barsoap and if possible, Tom's natural handsoap, it has worked for me.
I drink wine which turns into sugar and sugar promotes candidia yeast in the intestines. I take   NOW Brand Candidia Clear 2-3 times a day depending on how much alcohol or carbs I've consumed. I also take Syntol  (probiotic)
keep your colon lean and the yeast will be in control.
It works
Dear All:
I have been suffering with these symptoms for going on four years.   I am convinced the source is viral, not an allergic reaction.  That aside, here is how I have coped with the symptoms:

Lips:   Carmex.  Seems slightly more effective than Aquafor... but you have to deal with the slightly medicinal taste/smell.
Eyes:  Pataday.  It's an allergy relief drop.  Very effective, and my eye doc says you can use it pretty much indefinitely.  If the irritation is not too bad, though, I use Systane wetting drops instead. (I get the vials, without preservatives.  You can recap the vials and use it over the course of a day.)
Red skin:  Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Crème.  Amazing stuff.  I don't know what's in it, but it quickly calms down irritation.  Another choice is Triple Paste.

My daughter gets itchy, dry skin, particular in the winter.  Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Calming Itch-Relief Treatment seems to help with that.

Miscellaneous other symptoms/components of the syndrome:   flaky skin behind the ears/in the ears; thicker, waxy skin on upper back/shoulders; cracked skin on pads of fingers (sometimes);   sensitive skin on sides of neck  (it's tough to wear a tie now).  In general, it seems like my skin is more sensitive & prone to irritation.      I have also seen my daughters get a sore on the back of their neck, right about where a necklace would rest.  (They don't wear necklaces.)

IMHO this is a new virus that has not been identified by the medical community yet.      

Good luck to fellow sufferers.
Hi all. I have read most of these comments and I can see that I have not been alone in my problem.

I am from New Zealand but I spend 3 months each year in America. I have always had slight allergies while there but never anything I couldnt handle. Last year though, while in America,  I got hit with a very severe allergy - serious racoon eyes, itchy, red, puffy and bad enough that I wore sunglasses for weeks everywhere I went!  And very itchy sore puffy lips. I was utterly miserable. I was prescribed prednisone but as soon as I went off it the allergies came back.  Then, three weeks before I was due to leave America and return to New Zealand, I was prescribed enough prednisone to get me back to NZ. After I returned to NZ and finished the prednisone the allergies returned in a much milder and bearable form and after a month they went away completely. I am now back to my normal mild allergies and for months have not had a recurrance of what I had in America.

I didn't change my skin or makeup products throughout this allergy period. I am still using what I was using when I developed this allergy and have no reaction to any of it.  

I suspect there is something in the air or the water or the food or the cleaning products in America that is causing this. I actually blamed it on black mold that was in the house I was staying in but I was never sure if it was that. The key thing is that it appears that whatever I reacted to in America is not present in my New Zealand environment. I  will be returning to America this year and when I do I am hoping and praying this problem doesn't return. Will keep you posted!
Hi everyone - I'm so glad I found this thread.

My problems started literally overnight back at the beginning of December - severely swollen red eyes and unbearable itchiness, and extremely sore, dry, cracked skin all around my eyes  (the dry top lip has only started within the last couple of weeks).  I went to the docs who prescribed antibiotics for conjunctivitis.  Naturally these didn't help at all and the problem steadily got worse until one eye was swollen to such an extent that it was shut tight.  

I'm lucky that I work close to Moorfields Eye hospital so after a couple more unsuccessful visits to my doctor I took a trip to the Eye hospital A&E - they immediately diagnosed the problem as allergic rather than bacterial and prescribed steroid and antihistamine drops as well as diprobase cream and hydrocortisone cream to help with the skin irritation around my eyes.  This did help slightly but by no means solved the problem completely.

It's now been three months and the steroids are becoming less and less effective and I'm miserable!  I have an appointment with an allergy doctor on Thursday next week - I had to be a bit aggressive with my GP to get her to refer me but eventually she agreed, and I've had to wait eight weeks to get my appointment.  I've been told to come off all my medication for a week prior to the appointment so they can get a good picture of the effects so I'm off the steroids now and am struggling to cope with the pain and discomfort - I'm just gonna have to grit my teeth and bear it until Thursday.

Also, when I went into work today I burst into tears infront of my boss because it all got a bit too much for me (that's the first time anyone at work has seen me cry and I think it surprised me just as much as it surprised everyone else!) -  I think my boss now realises just how badly this is affecting me mentally in addition to the obvious physical effects - so he did the most amazing thing:  He's paid for me to go on the firm's private medical insurance policy so now I have an appointment with one of the UK's leading allergy specialists next Friday afternoon!  I still can't believe how lucky I am to have such an amazing boss!

So anyway - now I have two appointments with allergy doctors, one on Thursday and one on Friday (I'm not going to cancel the NHS appointment - some people might think that's selfish of me but I'm so desperate to find a solution to this, I want to see as many doctor's as possible!).  I promise I'll come back and let you all know what happens - all your posts have been so helpful to me, I really hope I can come back here with some encouraging news.

I've been taking notes as I've been reading all the posts so I'll be going to the docs armed with all sorts of ideas for possible causes/treatments!

Take care everyone - here's hoping we all get our problems sorted out soon!

Medicine that works!
I have had the same problems as others: itchy,peeling, crusty lips and eyelids.  I tried using my eczema meds on my eyelids  which made things worse!  Prescription eczema creams designed for legs/hands are way too strong to use on eyelids and the lip area.  After a week on a strong antibiotic prescribed by my Dr (who said I would need to be on it for 2 months!), nothing improved and I went to a dermatologist.  He prescribed meds which helped immediately: Protopic (tacrolimus ointment).  I also try to avoid certain foods (pineapple) that seems to cause the itchy lips. If my lips/eyelids start feeling itchy, I apply just a little Protopic and it clears things up right away.  I wear very little make-up now to avoid flare-ups but can get away with wearing Almay products.  The dermatologist suggested Vanicream Moisterizing Skin Cream for my face (Vanicream makes a sunscreen as well) and Dove soap.  I  also avoid all things that have added fragrance, including laundry detergent.  Every so often I have to switch to Free and Clear Hair products because my scalp will get itchy bumps/scabs from regular hair products. Hope this info helps.  
Dove soap has fragrance (parfum) as an ingredient. I strongly recommend you discontinue use and stick to cetaphil wash, especially with your reactions!

INGREDIENTS IN DOVE SOAP ARE: Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Slearic Acid, Sodium Palmitate, Aqua Lauric Acid, Sodium Isethionate, Sodium Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Parfum, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, zinc Oxide, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Alumina, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool.....

I use protopic and locoid for my lips and eye lids and it helps a lot.  Yesterday I went to another dermatologist ( I have been through 3 allergy testing including patch test of my make up and products) and she told me nail polish and gold! She also gave me a shot of prenisone.  No one has even said anything about this.  It has been a frustration as no one can figure anything out!  I will see if this helps!
I'm glad that I found this forum and can relate to most of you and your symptoms.  I have the super itchy, dry, peeling lips. My eyes itch terribly (especially on the eyelid of my right eye).  I also get the red and dry patches of skin above and below my lips.  I didn't go see any doctors so far hoping that these symptoms were seasonal and will go away, but they haven't! (it's been almost two months now, not that long compared to some of you guys).  Anyways, my aunt noticed the skin around my lips and she made me try a steroid cream called Mometasone Furoate.  Her daughter had dry itchy patches of skin all around her body (apparently an allergy to dust mites).  The cream healed all of her skin.  For me, I tried it around my lips for two days and seemed to have improved A LOT.  I'm skeptical to try it on my lips and around my eyes as these are sensitive areas.  
Like many of you I wonder what really is or are the causes of these symptoms?  Is it environmental?  Or can it be internal, hormonal, health, stress related?  Does it vary from person to person?  
I live in NYC, but when I went to Vermont for 4 days, I noticed that my skin improved dramatically...lips and eyes were not crazy itching or peeling, and all around skin was ok too.  I took the steroid cream with me just in case and I didn't even have to use it!  A day or two I come back to NY and immediately started to feel the difference, especially on my lips!  They were starting to crack, itch, etc, etc.  Over in Vermont I was using the same lip balm and make up and nothing happened.  It is frustrating to not know what causes these problems, but I will try some of the things that you guys mentioned above.  Thanks for sharing and take care everyone!  
Thank you for your very informative post. I have been on a gluten-free, dairy-free, no eggs, no peanuts diet for the last two months and have seen great improvement on my usually swollen itchy flaky eyelids and upper lips.
Yesterday was my son's 2 year old birthday and I ate cupcakes and drank white wine. Woke up with a big fat lip and itchy everywhere.
Time to go back on the diet, and I'll check out the products you(DeeDeeBee) mention in your post.
I'm working with a homeopathic doctor in NYC who's approach is mainly dietary. Anyone have anyone else in NYC they recommend, allergists, dermatologists, etc? I would love to be able to narrow in on and identify specific triggers.
So frustrated and at the end of my rope with this condition. Thanks.
Hello Dear,

So interesting to read all the columns on allergies,as I also have  developed a sort,that cannot be identified.  No allergy test done  yet,as I still believe to find reactants in my surroundings....must be the citrus fruit,as we are living amongst these heavenly  bushes .I  do live by trial and error...and somehow still cannot trace the allergy by name. sudden Swollen lips,blistering and scabby  healing within 14 days ...just to trigger off again. My sister from OS has commented on blood type and diet allergies,but in my poorer country,we have to rely on ,what comes on the table. BUT  crede Coconut Oil  used externally and internally may help to de -acidify the body. Hands and wrists blistering,extreme with itchyness maybe to  contact dermatities or is it the allergy to acids ? and only ointment Hydrogalen can calm the impulse to scratch and spread .How can I obtain a list of foof-stuff to identify it's acidity ?
Hello Dear,

I', m still thinking of food allergies,for all of us  , as when I leave home base,I feel comfortable with surroundings,no itching and so,but when it is home time again,all symptoms revert to negative... :-(
I imagine it may be the diet we eat elsewhere ??
I have the same questions like you: environment.pets,food,bedding,immune system..etc...it can be anything to trigger. Keep your emergency cream at times with you...
When I was young (middle school age) I remember having a terrible lip rash that they diagnosed as a yeast infection.

At about high school age eczema appeared after my mom switched laundry detergents. I experienced a rash after going into the ocean in the bahamas around this age as well. I was diagnosed with an allergy to fragrance and avoided all cosmetics and laundry detergent with added fragrance and this cleared the problem.

In my early 20's I started having and upset stomach after dairy, sometimes it was extremely sudden. Also, my lips would itch after tomato, and citrus. The same with melons except that the back of my tongue would itch as well. I was diagnosed with environmental allergies, grass, pollen, dust mites...as well as food allergies. Soy and dairy caused stomach issues where as tomatoes, citrus, melons caused lip or tongue reactions. Tomatoes pretty much gave me swollen, almost scabby lips. Extreme discomfort.

In my late 20's I was able to start eating tomatoes and citrus again with NO reaction. Still afraid to try melons because of the tongue itch. Started to eat dairy again. Some cheeses caused less upset then others. Any boyfriend I had had to switch to fragrance free detergent and soap or it would cause discomfort and/or infections.

Now at age 31...started with a patch of eczema on inside of elbow after a trip to the beach a few months ago. Then I started getting small red bumps (tiny pimple like on arms, stomach, under chest and back) This turned into eczema patches. Along with this came the lip issue again, as well as burning around eyes, with red rashes. This occurs on and off on my neck and shoulders as well. I went to med express and they gave me a oral steroid which cleared it up quickly but it made me moody and very anxious. It was terrible. Since then I have had skin tests done for environmental factors and blood work for foods.

Results:
- dust mites, grass, pollen, 3 molds, trees, ragweed
-wheat.
ALL of my previous food allergies tested negative. The allergist did give me an interesting list of foods that coincide with evironmental allergies. Such as ragweed and tomatoes. Apparently these foods contain the same or similar proteins and the weed and can cause reactions as well.

This Wheat allergy is quite an adjustment. I had a flat bread last night and woke up with blisters on my lips and a rashy eye. I have to start a strict diet to see if the symptoms go away.

I have learned that this is all a process of elimination. A frustrating one. It is hard for me to believe that it is JUST the wheat all of a sudden causing this reaction. I did just move into a new apartment a month before this, AND then a boyfriend moved in with me a month later. SO many factors.

I wish everyone well with finding the cause of their reactions and I will try to post again when I figure out more triggers.

p.s  A journal helps. Record food and environments daily.
Before my skin issue was out of control, i saw a legitimate psychic.   She said "when you get around it quitting milk will really help you".For 4 months i had the same eye and lip problem.  Somehow I never connected my skin problem to milk (I probably didn't want to quit ice cream and cheese).  So when I finally decided to quit milk my skin irritation totally went away.  It only comes back when I mistakenly eat something with milk.  Try eliminating all dairy for a few days to see what happens.  My symptoms went away with a couple of days of stopping all milk.  
I have read all these posts in attempt to find the reason for my own red itchy scaly eyes and lips. i have had this going on for more than a month and i have realized some patterns. it seems as though we have been getting it in the winter months while under huge amounts of stress. our immune systems are down and the cold virus is out. I have tried vaselines and antibiotics but they didn't help. i eventually tried natural methods and they seemed to work the best. i would use flax seed oil for under my eyes and areas around my forehead throughout the day. for my lips the best remedy was rapeseed honey in the morning and again at night. the lips will get a tingly sensation and the honey will melt a little bit. it went down significantly. now an old Indian man told me to use lysine+ for my face as that has more antiviral herbs in it and i look and feel like my old self :) i also am keeping my immune system up and eating right. good luck.
Just realized your post was 2011!  Wonder how you are doing today?  I also am early 60's and got this thing for the first time in my life about one month ago.

My symptoms: dry patchy, itchy, red around the eyes, neck and upper chest, lips that felt like cold sores developing all over them (I had cold sores since I was in my 20's dues to stress), then burning, itching and dry, and eventually peeling, also had heavy rash on my shins of my legs in the beginning but that seems to have cleared up and it's just the eyes, lips & down the laugh lines of my face.  I look like a 95 year old lady!!!

When it first occurred I woke up and my lips were swollen and my eyes were puffy, red & itching.
I  live in California and thought it was the dry winter air at first. I went to a doctor and they gave me stearoids to take for 6 days and Benadryl which  seemed to ease the rash for a couple of days but then it came back and has been coming and going for the past month to 6 weeks.  

I decided I needed to do something radical as my diet had been bad and I was eating a lot of fried food, chocolate, cookies, sugar for a long time and so went on a 4 day liver flush/cleanse and it all went away and my skin looked beautiful for a couple of days then it started all over again.  

Mind you I have stayed on a very healthy diet since the cleanse and have stopped eating chocolate, cookies, sugar, dairy products, and significantly reduced my wheat consumption (so hard because I love my toast/bread/pasta/sweets, etc.). I will try eliminating all the "yeast promoting" foods and see if that helps.

Other than a sulfur allergy that I have had for years I have always been very healthy. I have always avoided any products with sulfites, shampoos, conditioners, body wash etc., and red wine (unless it's made with organic grapes). I exercise by swimming, dancing, yoga, and I meditate regularly.

After reading all the posts what I'm resonating with most is the YEAST overload, the HORMONAL changes (or lack of them to help immunity) , not to mention STRESS.  It sure is a mystery and is also driving me crazy because I don't want to go out and socialize.

I have to mention for the record that I have done Pranic Healing classes and although I have not been practicing much I decided on the day I began the liver cleanse to do a session.  The next day I felt better and the rash cleared up but of course it's been coming and going since.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and I hope we will get to the bottom of this eventually.

Blessings & love,
JC

I just wanted to add that I had this realization ; I think we would all agree that these are all some type of allergy - doesn't really matter to what, whether it be food, environmental, chemicals or whatever but taking it to the next level I ask the question: Why are we suddenly allergic to these things we were not allergic to before, and came up with the answer "Because our immune systems have weakend and we can't combat these irritants any more".  I believe we need to strengthen our immune systems.  On that note I also believe that high sugar refined carbohydrate diet creates yeast infestation and lowers our resistance.
As I said earlier I am in the process of cleansing my system and reducing yeast promoting foods.  It's only been a couple of weeks but my rash is in a waning stage at present.  I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Any other ideas on strengthing the immune system?

I feel for all you - take care.
JC
I'm back and am embarassed to admit that I have discovered the cause of the rash (see my previous posts).  I have known for years that I am allergic to sodium lauryl sulfate and am shocked to find out it was in my toothpaste.  I did check the tube and it only showed the "active ingredients" with fluoride, however when I was at the store recently I checked the box and there it was; "Inactive Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate".  I immediately stopped using and the rash has gone.
I now make my own toothpast with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and coconut oil.
Good luck to all of you.

I am miserable...get a itchy,tingly feeling in scalp,lips,tongue throat and random area on my body.A breakout on shoulder and center of back...I know I have allergies but nothing showed up on tests...corners of eyes and end of my nose is driving me nuts.Claratin helped for maybe 4 hours with some of the symptoms.My ears feel hot at some times and I walk around in a fog.From not getting any sleep.
I recommend going to a rheumatologist and getting blood work done. I think it has to do with autoimmune disorders of some form or fashion.
I've been having the same issues for the last couple of months and thought maybe I was finally suffering from "spring allergies", but it is still happening.
I notice it occurs when I drink alcohol (especially red wine) and when I get sun or that combo. Not good with summer coming.  Am still trying to figure out the actual cause and plan on going back to my rheumatologist after my vacation to check on my psoriatic arthritis and lupus status....
Sorry to read about the sufferers, but glad I am not alone and crazy!
I am 47 years old and never had an allergy, eat right, exercise...etc. I began having an "eye allergy" last Oct. 2012 in one eye and then reoccurring in March 2013 in both eyes. Started out so red and dry and seemed worse when driving through rural areas and times of stress. The eyes are now not as deep red and watery but rather itchy and now the entire area around the eye has become a problem. Nighttime is when it rears its ugly head with severe itching and comes on all at once. As soon as it seems to be healing it flares up again yet worse each time. It had now spread to my lips, chin and a little of my neck area under the chin. I do believe that it is an immune system problem and a result of an underlying health problem and stress makes it worse yet. I have been dealing with kidney stones and the stress issues would get anyone. All within a year in this order, Lost my mom, got a divorce moved 1200 miles away from family, fell in love, got my heartbroken all the while looking for employment. Yay. I now have a job and I work online thank you God because I am so hideous I just can't imagine having to work with the public. I haven't even gone to the gym in two weeks because the redness and swelling is so bad. I would like more info on the Kenalog shot. I need to be able to get out and enjoy life and any break by a shot would be so welcomed.