Allergy Community
Swollen lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Swollen lips

Well, this has happened third time in my life. Six months before, suddenly i got some sensation on my lips and in one minute my lip becomes like a cartoon (girls said sexy ,, just kidding) and then i drink some water bottles and make it normal. Three months after this incident this happened again ? and now it happened yesterday.

I read that this is allergy ? Can this incident be life threatning ? Please advice ?

Unexplained swelling of the lip without any predisposing disease is frequently caused by allergies. An allergic reaction can occur suddenly, even in a person with no previous history of allergy.This swelling of the lip is called angioedema.It is the rapid swelling (edema) of the dermis, subcutaneous tissue, mucosa and submucosal tissues.Symptoms include swelling of any body part which appears suddenly and comes and goes.

Diagnosis is by clinical examination and complete blood tests,electrolytes and renal function tests.Traetment is by antihistaminics and steroids.

Other possibilities of swelling of lips may be acromegaly,Crohn’s disease,cardiac or renal disorders,herpes and myxedema.It is very difficult to make a diagnosis without examination.So pls get yourself examined by a physician and the diagnosis confirmed.Also sometimes angioedema can be life threatening when it involves the larynx and airways.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

my lip has been swollen for six months. I've had two biospies done, bloodwork, examinations by several doctors NOT NOTHING! Still in search of an answer. So I'm taking antihistamines two daily and will have two injections of steriods soon,