Allergy Community
Swollen top lip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Swollen top lip

I ate some seasoned rice and mackreals last night and woke up with a severly swollen top lip any idea what I did wrong help
charles
Tags: swollen

Without examaintion,it is very difficult to confirm a nything but your symptoms are suggestive of an allergic reaction(food allergy) to the rice or any other ingredients of the preparations that you had at night.The swelling of the lip may be due to angioedema.

You can find out to which ingredient you were allergic by getting allergy testing done. Skin tests are used for this purpose. This test involves pricking, scratching or injecting food extracts into the patient’s skin. The skin will react with redness and swelling for those extracts capable of eliciting an allergic reaction when consumed.Other tests used are blood tests like RAST and food challenge tests.

Now pls take an over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin.Pls see that benadryl causes drowsiness,so you can take zyrtec or Claritin if you want.Also apply some mild corticosteroid cream on the swollen lip.If the symptoms are severe then oral steroids may be needed.Pls consult an allergist then.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your child is doing or if you have any additional queries.

Hey my name is Molly and im 16, Last night i had Cattage pie and Green beans together and after i ate my top Lip had swollen up and started stinging and its still swollen and stinging now. I'm very confused because i Love cottage pie and Green beans and its a dinner i have regulary and its never happened before.

More of the problem:- It's only my top lip and its stinging also a bit itchy, and its dry around the lip but the lip itself isn't.  Its happened before when im nervous i rub my lip which makes it swollen and sore like it is now, But i haven't touched my lip at all, My Mom thinks i might have been rubbing it without noticing it but i don't think so.
Another thing is My Mom think it could be is i always had itchy skin and the other day i had a itchy arm. And regulary i do have itchy arm and legs and i've been to the doctors loads of times and they said they wasn't sure, One doctor thought it could of been scabies but then he thought the skin would be much more irritated.

So if anyone could help me out i would be much greatfull of you advice.