Allergy Community
THROAT MUCUS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

THROAT MUCUS

What causes mucus in the human throat, when i cough it does not come out and when I try swallowing it remains in the thoat causing irritation. what could be the remedy for this?
      Formation of excess mucus in the throat could be related to smoking, inflammation or infection, allergies etc. Certain medications like antihistamines, decongestants help in reducing the production of mucus. Preventing triggering agents causing irritation of throat mucosa can also reduce mucus production. Steam inhalations or saline nebulizations can help in clearing the mucus in the throat. But in case of infections appropriate treatment with antibiotics should be initiated for treating this situation.  I would recommend that you consult a ENT specialist for further assistance on this. Best.