Testing for tetanus tolerance?

Is it possible to test for intolerance/tolerance to Tetanus vaccine?  Or for additives to the vaccine?

I have had an adverse reaction to a Tetanus shot. This happened when I was 12 (over 30 years ago). I remember my face swelling and having a fever. While no one said so at the time, I suspect that this could have been an over dose as I had received all the recommended Tetanus shots plus two extra: one when I was 6 and the other- which caused the reaction - when I was 12. I had no reaction to the prior ones.

At the time, it was suggested that I might have been allergic to the preservative and not to the Tetanus itself. As a consequence, I was told to avoid all shots, which I did for about 15 years. I have since had some travel immunizations without any problems.

But, I have not received any additional Tetanus shots and am now worried that the protection has worn off. Since I have small kids I am not always able to think about what I am doing and where so I'd really like to get a booster, but only if I won't have another adverse reaction.  I have asked various GPs about this over the years but not received a clear answer about what to do. I would very much appreciate your advice/insight..

Thank you.

All adults should recieve a booster dose of tetanus toxoid every ten years.

Tetanus toxoid may occasionally result in an allergic reaction to its various additives. These reactions may be an hypersenstivity, fever or a local reaction.

This may require specific investigation by an allergist to find out the exact component causing the allergy. Thence the allergist may perform a desensitization and then the booster may be given.

Do you know which component caused the allergy?

All the best