Allergy Community
Testing for tetanus tolerance?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Testing for tetanus tolerance?

Hi,

Is it possible to test for intolerance/tolerance to Tetanus vaccine?  Or for additives to the vaccine?

I have had an adverse reaction to a Tetanus shot. This happened when I was 12 (over 30 years ago). I remember my face swelling and having a fever. While no one said so at the time, I suspect that this could have been an over dose as I had received all the recommended Tetanus shots plus two extra: one when I was 6 and the other- which caused the reaction - when I was 12. I had no reaction to the prior ones.

At the time, it was suggested that I might have been allergic to the preservative and not to the Tetanus itself. As a consequence, I was told to avoid all shots, which I did for about 15 years. I have since had some travel immunizations without any problems.

But, I have not received any additional Tetanus shots and am now worried that the protection has worn off. Since I have small kids I am not always able to think about what I am doing and where so I'd really like to get a booster, but only if I won't have another adverse reaction.  I have asked various GPs about this over the years but not received a clear answer about what to do. I would very much appreciate your advice/insight..

Thank you.